Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 8th, 2010, 11:53 PM

Greetings from the West Coast

Hello,

I just signed up as I just stumbled upon this site. How has it not come onto my radar until now...it looks great!

I'm a little rattled right now as I had some disturbing news following a vet visit this afternoon. In a nutshell, I took my 12 year old shi-tzu cross to get a consult about getting his teeth cleaned next week. Being a senior she recommended a blood panel to make sure about his organs. He's showing no clinical signs, but his blood panel revealed some kidney issues. Two elevated enzymes - one alarmingly high, one just a bit elevated, plus borderline anemia. Needless to say, he's not going to have his teeth done at the moment until we have gotten to the bottom of the kidney issue - stable, progressing, whatever. I was so stunned I know I didn't ask all the questions I should've...I can think of a ton more now that the office is closed.
I found a thread on this site about kidney disease...so I thought I'd join the forum. I hope I'm able to visit often and get (maybe give) some advice.
I'll post in the appropriate forum when I get my thoughts together regarding the kidney stuff, but just wanted to say "HELLO" for now!

I also have an almost 15 1/2 year old female cockapoo...she ROCKS! Her name is Ivy-Girl! She's no stranger to health issues, except she seems to be getting younger, not older. She's had a couple of major surgeries in 2009, we almost lost her, but she's the "Benjamin Button of Dogs" as she's seemingly getting younger not older. She also has disc disease and was partially paralyzed, lost the use of her hind legs in Feb 2009, but has come back to, I'd say 95%. She most recently had one of her eyes removed October 2009...it was blind and had secondary glaucoma from a cancerous mass on top of her eyelid, so she's got a permanent wink now! She had cancer about 5 years ago (mast-cell tumour)...the vet calls her the "Energizer Bunny of Dogs" LOL. Thank goodness for Dog Health Insurace.

Finally, I have Maggie, my mini-schnauzer. She's our "baby" and, what can I say, she's lives up to the terrier stereo-type! She's a hilarious dog...so much personality. Love her to bits.

Oh yeah, I also have been married for 20 years and have two boys aged 8 and 10...but I chat about them on another forum!

If you've stuck with me so far...Thanks for reading and I look forward to visiting here in the future.

Last edited by ivy-girl; January 8th, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM
You can call me DOG!

Welcome to the board Ivy-girl. Sounds like you have quite a crew and cannot wait to see pictures of the gang when you have a moment.

Like anytime you want to post pictures, we would love to see them.

Sorry but I forgot to mention. We are all picture heavy here so when you can post fur family pictures that would be fantastic!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:23 AM

Welcome to pets.ca ivy-girl We'd love to see pics of your pups, we're just a little pic crazy here

Sorry to hear of your dogs health concerns, when you've gathered your thoughts/questions about the kidney issue please do open a thread in the pet health-dog heath forum. In that thread if you can post the numbers from the bloodwork, as well any medications, what food you are currently feeding it will make for more indepth responses.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Live well, laugh often

Welcome to pets.ca . Sounds like you have a wonderful fur family and I wish you great luck with your current health problems .
Old January 9th, 2010, 12:33 AM

Hi and welcome from just north of you on the peninsula!
I too have two boys aged 8 and 10.

I hope you find the right questions for the vet, and that your sweetie is on a road to recovery very soon. Like Growler says - give as much info about what your dog's results are, meds, foods, etc... and the folks here will be able to help you help your dog.

And like everyone else - can't wait to see some photos!
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:14 AM

You guys are so great! Thanks for the welcoming words. I will get my thoughts, facts, plan together and post about the kidney issue with Quincy.

However, you don't have to ask me twice to post pictures of my dogs!! LOL

Here's Ivy-girl....after she had her eye removed in October (my profile picture is her last year)

Another of my favorites of her...she's also deaf, and thought she'd take advantage of a situation that presented itself...kind of self explanatory!

I could go on and on...but I'll move on to Quincy...the one with the kidney issue

Then we have Maggie - our baby! LOL

And finally, our Tucker who passed away 3 years ago. Miss him every day

OOOHhh, just one more I promise...I love this one...what's wrong with this picture...could it be the big dog (Tucker) crammed into the little dog bed and the little dog (Quincy) sprawling on the big dog bed!! LOL
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post
Hi and welcome from just north of you on the peninsula!
I too have two boys aged 8 and 10.

I hope you find the right questions for the vet, and that your sweetie is on a road to recovery very soon. Like Growler says - give as much info about what your dog's results are, meds, foods, etc... and the folks here will be able to help you help your dog.

And like everyone else - can't wait to see some photos!
Hey Marcha - almost neighbour! LOL I'm near Costco.

I will collect my thoughts and post about Quincy soon. Likely next week when I call the vet back and I can get more info after I've processed this as it came out of left field and caught me totally off guard. Though, as he isn't showing any symptoms, and it's a fluke sort of that we found out, I hope that's a good sign that we will be able to work through this difficulty and it's at an early, manageable, treatable stage.
Old January 9th, 2010, 03:07 AM

Hahaha! I love the doggie bed one! There's others here who've posted bed-hijacking photos too.

Your pups are gorgeous.
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Young at Heart

Hello and welcome from another Islander... we're mid-Island. Lovely fur family you have! Good luck with your current health concerns..
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lovely fur family you have there, ivy-girl! Speaking of which...was she loading, unloading, or just in the prewash cycle in the dishwasher?

Cute pics!!

I hope Quincy's problem is easily managed!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Mickey, my angel

Welcome to the forum, ivy girl. Love the pics. Your furbabies are all adorable.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old January 10th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

welcome to the board , I lived in the northern part of the island for 22 years and miss it terribly...if you are ever in Port Hardy...take pictures, please
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:54 AM

Red face

Howdy neighbor!

I lost my pup yesterday, sadly. I do wish you the best of luck.
My heart and good energy goes to you and yours.

Great pics!
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandemonium View Post
Howdy neighbor!

I lost my pup yesterday, sadly. I do wish you the best of luck.
My heart and good energy goes to you and yours.

Great pics!
I just saw the post about your girl. I replied to it...but wanted to say again how sorry I am for your loss. My Ivy is 15 1/2 so I know it won't be too much longer before I'm saying good bye to her. Take care.