Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Senior Contributor

tough choice....

Hi all

I haven't posted in a long while, just really really busy.

I am sorry to say that I have come to the decision to PTS Gypsy.
This is the hardest thing I have ever done. I have invested two years into trying to get her to change. We have N.I.L.I.F.ed, removed triggers, had proffessionals inhouse, outside socialization, and even taken on fosters in the hopes that soemone, something, could help. The dog lives without toys,bones,a bed, and has nothing to call hers because it provokes aggressive dominance/resource guarding. I have been shown several times that this is the path I should take, and am finally resigning to take it.

Pets.ca has been a great source of info, but mostly compassion and support.
Please continue this guys, I really need it now..:sad:

I try to look at my kids and know that they have a right to go downstairs without mommy screaming at them to wait for her for their own safety. The whole thing has become a bit warped as Gypsy's needs took over our house.

I have to be a parent here, and free Gypsy of her "demons" as well.
Rehoming this dog would be the most irresponsible thing to do as no one would tolerate what I have. She would probably be abused, and I could never rehome her with a clear conscience. There are almost NO environments free of children--retirees have nieghbours, farmers have grandchildren etc etc...

I cannot give to this poor girl anymore, as it is affecting my own health.

You were my first baby before the others, sweet Gypsy, and I'll always love you for your wild spirit and your sweet heart.

:sad: :sad:
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Agility Addict

I am so so sorry! I don't know Gypsy's history but it sounds like you have done everything you possibly could - and more.

It must be an awfully difficult decision:sad: . I'm sorry that you and your family have to go through this.
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I, too, am very sorry.

Sometimes, safety just HAS to come first. It seems as though you've given it your ALL, and made the best decision for your family (and to spare another family the same ordeal).

It's unfortunate it's so close to the holidays, but I truly wish you and your family peace with this decision.
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Rehoming this dog would be the most irresponsible thing to do as no one would tolerate what I have. She would probably be abused, and I could never rehome her with a clear conscience.
I agree with this and think you're doing the only responsible thing, however painful it is for you. You have done far more than most people would to try and help Gypsy.

Some dogs are just too badly damaged, or have a genetic glitch and can never be helped.

There are too many sweet dogs who would never harm anyone, who are dying every day for lack of homes, to keep such a dangerous liability around.

I'm sorry you have to face this. I know it's horrible, no matter the reason.
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Hey Twinmommy,
You know you have my total support and that I'm here for no matter what you need. You've been a great testimonial to good dog ownership and sometimes you just can't fix it all. You are very right, your two beautiful daughters need to be safe in their own home and you need to be able to relax and enjoy life. Gypsy is well loved and that's all any dog could ask for. Your final gift to her is to love her enough to let her go.
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Twinmommy sometimes it just has to be done.
I had such a decision to make some years ago. You and your family have to be safe in your own home and you can't pass this danger on to another.
The dog we took in had been badly treated and rehomed several times before he came to us. But in the end he was unable to overcome his problems and it was not safe to let my young children alone with him. However hard the decision is it is the right one.

Spelling is an option
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Kitty Consort

Twinmommy, I am so sorry for the pain this decision brings with it, but you really have gone far above and beyond the call in trying to help Gypsy
Your decision is the right one, for your family, and for Gypsy - to whom you given your dedication, your perserverance, your love - your all.
You have exhausted every possible option,your efforts truly admirable and my heart goes out to you.
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:04 PM

I'm so sorry. Sometimes it's the only choice, but that doesn't make it an easy one. At least she had someone who did their very best for her.

~LM~
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Twinmommy,I too have no question about you doing the right thing,but even though it's right for Gypsy and your family,it will be heartbreaking:sad:
We'll be here to support you,should you need it:love:
Old December 12th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys, for all your kind words, it really means alot to me. This site has been so much support, and so many kind people......

Jenn--You're the best. You've been so much help.

I have a vet appointment on thurs, with the awesome vet that I found (thanks again, Jenn ) when Sam passed. My husband wants to go for me, but that is out of the question. I just need to be there...(is that weird?) I have known this little girl since she's 3 weeks old and I need to be with her then too.

Thanks again guys for listening.
Old December 12th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

It's not weird. I wanted to be alone with Selena when we had to put her to sleep and I could still remember her as a fuzzy little stinky butt puppy. It's a huge bond both of you have and it's your way of saying goodbye good friend. He'll understand, he's a good guy!
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

You poor thing. I know it's a heartache. I had to be with Joey when he died. I just had to. I waited for my husband to get there with his blanket from home. I went to the ladies room just before and they could hear me wailing through the whole place. I didn't care. I had to get myself under control when I went back to my baby but I indulged in a full fledged meltdown first.

My heart just aches for you. I hope that you have a lot of support and people to comfort you.
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Some dogs are just too badly damaged, or have a genetic glitch and can never be helped.
I agree with Lucky on this one. I'm sorry for your loss, and I know you did your best.
Old December 12th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Owned by goldens

Tough choice

I am sorry you are going through this. This past summer I was facing something very similar with one of my dogs. She is a rescue with an unknown past. She had shown some signs of aggression but this past summer the problem escalated. She even stared snarling at me. I feared for my safety and that of family and friends. I had been making excuses for her behavior but realized that there was no way I could continue to do so. For weeks I cried everyday knowing what I had to do.
Fortunately for us we discovered that part of Chloe's problem was her thyroid and part was behavioral. She began medication for her thyroid and obedience training. The combination has been a godsend for us and while she cannot be trusted 100% she is a changed dog. Keep in mind I do not have young children at home but if I did I would not hesitate to do what you have made a decision to do. As others have said some dogs are just not right in the head. No need to make excuses to anyone. Your human children must be your priority. Take care and know that I and others understand what you are going through.
Old December 15th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

UPDATE!!

Just came from the vet with some encouraging news.

We have one last thing to try. A certain collar that compares to the gentle leader, but that they CAN'T get out of.(we have a houdini here, and had tried this method but couldn't make it work because she jumps it in 6 secs )

So it's not much, but it's something!!!!

We'll try it and see....the vet had a client with similar prob and placed a call to her to get the exact name . She has had great success with it, so we're anxious to try.

In a nutshell, we're all a little shellshocked over here, Gypsy included. We were sooo prepared for the worst, that frankly I'm a little stunned.

But not too stunned to go cuddle my furry buddy........

I'll keep ya posted!!!
Old December 15th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

He is a good vet, isn't he?

Hope this works, whatever the outcome,we are here for you
Old December 16th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Twinmommy, I know how much you have done with Gypsy and the roller coaster sounds just awful!!! I wondered where you had been - and am sorry to hear about Gypsy and you but you really have done more than most would. I'll cross my fingers and YY her paws that this may work. My Gawd, you have been a great mom!!!

Last edited by CyberKitten; December 16th, 2005 at 05:44 AM.
Old December 16th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey twinmommy! I was wondering where you had gone -- it's good to have you back on the board. You are an angel to Gypsy...she's one lucky little stinker
You've already done so much for her....I really hope this new collar thingy works out for you.
I agree with CK, this must be quite a rollercoaster, and if this doesn't work out -- you can tell yourself that you've done ALL you possibly could.

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM

Good luck twinmommy! Praying for you and Gypsy

Spelling is an option