Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 20th, 2012, 06:31 AM

Question Dog throwing up in the morning

Note: we have already seen a vet, just trying to get some ideas

To the point:

- Newfoundland dog, 103 lbs, 15 months old
- changed his food over slowly 1-1 ½ months ago
- throwing up while foam in the morning
- 0 daily treats
- still drinking water
- has energy
- 1st meal is ate slower than normal, 2nd meal is normal
- bowel movements = 2-3 times a day
- bowel movements are solid at first but, loose at the end
- treated for Giardia
- Main question: Finally (about time huh?) my question is: Is there anything else that we can change before going back to the vet?

Details:
For the past 1-2 weeks, our dog has been dry heaving (pumping sound?) in the early morning. It comes to the point where he occasionally he will throw up white foam. I’ve been reading around and read on multiple sites that it is possible it could be hunger. We have changed his food over slowly in the past 1 - 1/2 months. We have visited the vet, and she said it sounds like an upper GI problem.

Just to be sure she placed him on treatment for Giardia. For the past 3 days (today is the last day) we have been given him his medication. However, he started dry heaving again this morning. Just to be sure we are also feeding him later at night, in case it could be from hunger. The vet also recommended changing his food. We wanted to try the meds first; just to be sure it wasn’t the parasite.

Obviously the next step is to change his food. They have a brand at the vet’s office which is specially made for GI problems in puppies. We have limited his treats to 0 per day since this has started. Maybe a piece of carrot here and there.

Finally (about time huh?) my question is: Is there anything else that we can change before going back to the vet? I was wondering if other’s having had this problem and maybe I am overlooking something.

If there is any other information I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 20th, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Fixed image tags
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you mention the current and previous food? What are they?
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It could be that he's intolerant to something in the new food.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:13 PM

Hi! Sounds like exactly what happened to Mika. Empty tummy barfies. She would throw up in the mornings, only the mornings. Sometimes that white foam, mostly bile. I started giving her a snack in the night time and she never does it anymore. My vet says its because they are hungry and go too long without food. Mine eat twice a day. In the morning, then at dinner time and since I always wake up around 1-2am, they get a snack then.
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

We had the same issue with our Thorin (MalxGSD) his entire life. It could be food allergies/sensitivities, but in Thorin's case it was Colitis. It wasn't diagnosed until he was 9 yrs old. Once we got the diagnosis and some tips from the vet, he never had an issue with it again. They recommended we give him a probiotic (Forti-Flora here in Canada). Also he was fed morning and night, the had a midday snack and a snack before bed (usually yogurt and a few treats/kibble). The vet said the key was to make sure he never had an "empty" tummy because it gives the stomach acid a chance to do it's thing. I hope you get things figured out!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
We had the same issue with our Thorin (MalxGSD) his entire life. It could be food allergies/sensitivities, but in Thorin's case it was Colitis. It wasn't diagnosed until he was 9 yrs old. Once we got the diagnosis and some tips from the vet, he never had an issue with it again. They recommended we give him a probiotic (Forti-Flora here in Canada). Also he was fed morning and night, the had a midday snack and a snack before bed (usually yogurt and a few treats/kibble). The vet said the key was to make sure he never had an "empty" tummy because it gives the stomach acid a chance to do it's thing. I hope you get things figured out!
Don't you love Forti-Flora!! Works so well. I give mine yogurt too they love it. (if anyone does give yogurt, has to be the regular one, not the one with a sweetener like aspartame.)
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
Don't you love Forti-Flora!! Works so well. I give mine yogurt too they love it. (if anyone does give yogurt, has to be the regular one, not the one with a sweetener like aspartame.)
Or xylitol. Small amounts of xylitol are deadly to dogs and cats.
Old May 20th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
LOVE it for Nookie. It does great for him when he's on antibiotics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Or xylitol. Small amounts of xylitol are deadly to dogs and cats.
Thanks! I always just assume people know that, but most don't! The yogurt I use is a Greek yogurt, all natural, plain with no sweeteners of any kind. It's quite a bit more expensive, but it's also very healthy.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
LOVE it for Nookie. It does great for him when he's on antibiotics

Thanks! I always just assume people know that, but most don't! The yogurt I use is a Greek yogurt, all natural, plain with no sweeteners of any kind. It's quite a bit more expensive, but it's also very healthy.
Is xylitol used in yogurt? I know its used in chewing gum. I use the Greek yogurt for them too, so yummy.
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is xylitol used in yogurt? I know its used in chewing gum. I use the Greek yogurt for them too, so yummy.
Xylitol is a sugar replacement hence you might find it in anything that is sweetened.

Many folks use Rescue Remedy for anxious dogs and cats. RR has a candy version that has xylitol in it. It's made for humans but who doesn't give their dog a bit of human candy (or yogurt?) now and then?
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Xylitol is a sugar replacement hence you might find it in anything that is sweetened.

Many folks use Rescue Remedy for anxious dogs and cats. RR has a candy version that has xylitol in it. It's made for humans but who doesn't give their dog a bit of human candy (or yogurt?) now and then?
Xylitol is toxic to dogs and I do not feed my dogs candy. I will give my dog a little plan yogurt that has no sugar or sugar substitutes in it. Marty is a small dog and I have to be careful what he eat.

Tags
dog, morning, stools, vomit