Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM

my dog rolled in fish!

Leo rolled around on a dead fish and now he reeks. Anyone know how to get the fish guts stink off of him? Soap and water isn't really working.
Old March 17th, 2009, 08:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oy!

Well, when Cole rolled in the residue from the septic truck hose, I took a fresh bottle of hydrogen peroxide and used that to clean him up. It took out the black and really helped with the smell. Not sure if it will work with fish odor, though, as I believe the "fishy smell" molecule is smaller and less reactive than septic smell

If you do try peroxide, remember to rinse him off thoroughly with water afterward as the chemical can be pretty harsh...

Another thought--how about a lemon juice rinse? Lemon juice takes that fishy odor off hands And it makes hair really shiny!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM

You can also try using white vinegar to remove the smell. I have read somewhere that it was effective. Then use a regular shampoo to remove the vinegar smell.
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:19 AM

thanks

I tried a couple of different things, so I'm not really sure which one worked, but this morning now that he's dry again, he definitely smells much better. Not 100% better, but 80% - I guess that's good. He was SO stinky last night, I was afraid I'd never be able to pet or hug him again!

First I used some moistened baby wipes - did nothing.
Then, I used doggie shampoo and water - also didn't seem to help, but masked the odor a little bit.
I didn't have any lemon juice, but I do have vinegar. Leo hated this, but I think it helped. I couldn't tell at the time, because when he was still wet, he still smelled. But now that he's rinsed off and dried off, he smells pretty good. And, now his coat feels really soft, which is a bonus.

And Leo is clean and we are snuggled up on the couch together as I write this, and all is right in the world again! Thanks for the advice!
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Excellent! Ya, dogs hate the smell of vinegar, but it's pretty good with that fishy smell, too. And he's all shiny now, too? I think we need a new pic of Leo so we can check that out, then. Whaddya say?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Kitty pimp

lmao sorry but you made my day where in the world did he find a dead fish anyway?
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM

Vinegar is the key

vinegar did the trick,.. 55lbs Vizsla after 4 baths still smelling like dead fish it only took a quarter cup of vinegar then a quick shampoo and he is 100% fish free. (gave me his best poor me look when he was covered in vinegar,.. thought I was punishing him, poor guy.)
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yeah, they really don't like the smell of vinegar much, do they? Great that it works to get out that rotten fish odor, though!