Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 14th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Neo+cats

Thumbs up I'm back

I used to be active on the forum some 6-8 years ago, but after my ex kept the dogs, I dropped out. He ended up finding Sheba hurt after a fall off the bed and she passed away shortly after. When he moved out of the house once it sold, he gave Dany to friends who didn't keep her because she started having seizures ... from the stress of being abandoned again? What he did with Misti and Spoutnik, he never told me

I popped on here again briefly with my 2 budgies, but my new step son wanted a pet since his brother had a hamster and his sister a dog, so I let him have them, they are in good hands and happily living in his room far from his mother's cigarette smoke.

So what have I been doing since then?

Remarried, for one. We adopted a senior cat from the local Humane Society who was said to be 18 and left with them when her owner died. From November to March, no one took her home I saw the pain, cconfusion and sadness i her eyes and knew she had to come to us.
3 months later, a colleague told me about a 4 months old kitten someone had dropped off across the street from her at a feed mill. She couldn't keep it because her dog "hates cats" so I drove 30 mi minutes to her place and picked it up, 30 minutes home and she's been here since. That was almost 3 years ago.

Princesse died just 2 weeks after we moved to our house from the apartment, she just barely got to enjoy walking on grass and sleeping on carpeting Spooky avoided the bathroom for 2 weeks after she died in a corner of that room. I was home alone that day, it was raining, and I had to bury her ... safely as there are fox and coyotes in this area.

Almost a year later, we went back to the same Humane Society to see if we could find a new friend for Spooky. Out of cages and free-roaming rooms ... 5 rooms total ... how does one choose just 1 deserving cat? It took me a while.

Home came a new Misti, grey and fluffy, she had just been "fixed" and was resting in a cage, but oh so ready to get sprung from jail! It turns out she's the same age as Spooky.

This was in April 2014. So we're getting caught up

The latest addition to the family came 2 weeks ago. My husband has talked of no other do breed for as long as I've known him. He's wanted one since he was a young boy, has read up it, but ... 3500 for a puppy ...
We were looking for adoptable unwanted dogs here in Ontario, none like his. Finally we said ok, we can go with an English Mastiff instead, they are bigger and just as nice. And we found one on Kijiji. But just to check, he switched from Ontario to Quebec for the search.

There she was. The ad was placed an hour earlier. I sent a message immediately, saying we could come that weekend! I downloaded the photos, and we went to bed (late night search). The next morning, the ad was gone! I left for work, and when I got home there was an email. Someone from the fostering group would call me before the end of the week.

Nathalie did. We spoke for almost an hour. And it was decided that we wait till the following weekend. In the meantime, I supplied photos of our home inside and out, filled out their application, got a letter of reference (actually I got 3), and spoke with Nathalie again the Thursday before we were to go. She gave me the foster parents' phone number, and I called them, getting directions and agreeing on an approximate arrival time for the Saturday.

OK, the GPS has no idea there is a hwy 30, the end of the 30 says 15 one way, USA the other, so we went the wrong way, but a text to Nathalie set us straight.

We were greeted by Jonathan who asked us to go to the solarium door, which he opened from the inside. Jeanine was holding our dog (in our minds, she was ours when we saw the ad!), who growled when we walked in. We ignored her, shaking hands with her foster family, accepting a cup of tea and home made cake, and let her come to us.

it took 2 minutes after we sat down, for her to come sniff my hand, accepting to get petted, and moving over to sniff my husband where she stayed for a while getting more cuddles. We weren't visiting, we were picking her up. I thi k she felt it, or something made her feel comfortable enough not to hesitate to get in the car.

So yes, we are now the proud and happy pet-parents to Portia, a totally adorable Neapolitan Mastiff puppy, 2 years old.
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What?! NO PICTURES!?! Surely you know us better than that, Budgie-mom!

Welcome back!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:20 PM
Neo+cats

Hahaha, I certainly do but can't seem to get any off the tablet I have lits of super cute pics too !
Old February 15th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

welcome back Budgie-mom and thanks for the update! and I 'm with hazel - the price of readmission is pix
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Neo+cats

I WANT to share pics, have so many yoy'll cry for mercy! And some great ones for the February snuggle-pics thread!

But whenever I try to access the photos on my tablet or phone, I'm asked for a url not being taken to my pics gallery
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:38 AM
Neo+cats

frustrated

I have even tried taking photos directly onto the reply but it won't accept them
Old February 16th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Neo+cats

Found a way, but now I get "upload errors "

Seriously ??!!!!!
Old February 16th, 2015, 04:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Are they too big? There's a limit to how big an image you can upload as an attachment. Also, I found out recently that the name of the file matters--it doesn't like apostrophes in the name, for instance, and it turns out I use way too many of them when naming files!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 16th, 2015, 09:33 PM
Neo+cats

I didn't even have a name, just snapped a photo with the tablet.

They go on Facebook no problem