Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 11th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Neo+cats

2-year old Neapolitan Mastiff threw up

No apparent reason ?

Portia was fine yesterday, walking in the park with us (on leash, didn't lick or pick up anything) was her usual playful self. This morning, again, normal. Bio-break outside, breakfast as usual, and 40 minutes later it came back up.

Like so many dogs, she cleaned up after herself and seemed ok. I left for work. My husband texted me later, she had thrown up again, twice. Then drank water and threw that up as well never mind needing a carpet cleaner, poor pupoy!!

He did have het outside and she walked fine, did her business and came back inside. I was greeted with a wagging tail when I got home and took het out for a short walk (she asked) and a pee after we had supper.

She just had some water and is sleeping, wrapped up in het quilt she usually sleeps on.

Additional info: we just rescued her on January 31st, her shots were on tne 19th and the second ones are due next week. She hasn't been in contact with any dog, just been around our indoor cats.

Are we worrying about nothing?
Old February 11th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.everythingneo.com/index.p...=110&Itemid=82

Neapolitan Mastiff can get bloat , so made sure it not that . I had a Standard Poodle and they can get bloat too , I was told to feed my dog 3 small meals a day so he would not get bloat. You could try feeding your dog smaller meals and see if that help , if not a checkup would be a good idea.
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:00 AM
Neo+cats

We thought of that too unfortunately we can't feed her anything right now as she won't eat. She has kept water down though, so maybe that's a good sign.

Nothing we can do till tomorrow now, other than having a sleepless night watching her sleep.

Thanks!
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you to spoken to your vet yet and see what they suggest you to do ? I sure hope it's not bloat. Barrel chested dog are known to get bloat . How is your dog doing otherwise is she peeing and pooping OK?
Old February 12th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

If you have reason to think bloat then GET her to the VET immediately. Bloat is acute and life threatening.

When she did her business outside did that include a poop? If she's not pooping then I'd suspect obstruction. Something else you must Vet for, soon as possible.

The odd vomit I basically ignore. For that many I'd fast then introduce small meals. I would not Vet, I would not medicate. BUT if I understand correctly she is refusing food? But does not seem lethargic? What is her temperature? My dog is a Lab, refusing food is a sign something is badly wrong. Neo's, don't know about them and she is new to you so you don't know her. I think at least a phone call to your Vet is warranted.
Old February 13th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Neo+cats

Thanks guys! Knew I could count on you for advise!

Good news, she's fine!

Basically, we contacted the foster mom who was the one who knew her best. Joe spent half the night sitting with Portia to monitor her, till she moved from the living room to the bedroom lying down close to my side of the bed, on the floor. I woke up and sat for 35 minutes stroking her and watching her breathing till she relaxed and fell asleep. Needless to say, I slept with an eye and ear open till 6 when I had to get up for work.

And she was fine! Tail up, wagging. Head held high again. Did her business outside (though she didn't make it off the front deck) and had a plate of plain white rice for breakfast. Joe had read that night that feeding mastiffs on a flat plate prevents them from taking as big a mouthful as from a bowl, and also to put something in their water bowl for the same reason. Prevents them from gulping too much air with the food/water.
Also to prefer 3 smaller meals rather than 1 or 2. Well I knew 1 wasn't a good idea so she always had 2 since we got her, but we're switching to 3, and a plate though it makes more of a mess than the bowl did, who cares!

She is SUCH a good girl too! We picked her up 2 weeks ago tomorrow and it seems like yesterday and at the same time like we've had her forever!

2 accidents in the house that initial weekend, and since then ... no messes till she puked, and that you can't blame anyone for!

2 years old, she's apparently spent most of that time outside on a 4-foot chain getting rescued but left in a cold barn where foster dad found her and removed her to his home on December 3rd last. So she really shou be scared of vacuum cleaners and car rides, normal stuff. She's not. Joe even vacuumed her using the soft brush attachment yesterday she was great in the shower Monday, sits to get the collar & leash on and off, sits and looks at the big military planes when they pass over our house, just a sweet girl.

She was scared when foster dad picked up a shovel, so he and we think she must have been hit with that or a similar object and she's a bit restless in the car, but I think it's mostly because she's still not sure she'll be coming back to her new home ever trip. After all, 5 1/2 hours from foster home to us, then only 3 short drives i the past 2 weeks, considering her history I get her concern.

But she's made friends with our one cat and though the other still hisses and slaps, at least the claws aren't in the mix anymore.

Punishment in our house is the same for all 3: a squirt from a plastic bottle filled with water, lol. Spooky got the message after 2 squirts and doesn't need to be spquirted on anymore; Portia, same thing. Misti will still somewhat ignore the threat if what she's into is too interesting. The first two, all we have to do is reach for the bottle and say "no" or "don't make me use this" and they back off whatever they're into.

Anyway, sorry for the novel just wanted to give you an update,
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Yay.
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:16 AM

Just a thought, do you feed from an elevated position, this is best for large dogs.
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaljoy View Post
Just a thought, do you feed from an elevated position, this is best for large dogs.
Seems the recommendation has gone from elevated to NOT elevated to who knows?.

http://www.vetinfo.com/elevated-dog-feeder.html#b
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

That is great news Portia is feeling better , I would love to see a photo of your beautiful dog , we're really addicted to photos around here.

You could put your dog's plate on a cookies sheet so it'll be easier to clean after she finish eating .