Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old October 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I did send them an e-mail when I got back to my office asking about carrying the different flavours. Haven't heard back.

The pet food store where I normally get my cat food from is not allowed to sell it because it is too close to the store I went to yesterday on my lunch. Very frustrating.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:43 AM

L4H - check the DOG food aisle for the Evo 95% Beef & 95% Venison cans . The catfood of these is not yet availble in but the dogfood is & it's the same thing.

I went to the store branch in Vanc which is a larger store than the one in my city - when I talked to the girl there she mentioned because it is 95% meat the dog & cat food is the same thing. This store gets everything the second it hits Canada & she didn't know the catfood was on their website - so I don't think it is available yet here. But the DOG food is.

I did mention to her my cat has CRF so I was wondering if the phos level would be the same I just compared everything in the nutrient analysis - it is EXACTLY the same right down to the phos/calcium/ even the taurine.

I have read on another cat forum one of the members there buys (don't know what brand) the large cans of dogfood for her cats (who do NOT have any health issues) cuz it's the same & it's cheaper

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Interesting, thanks Growler. I thought dogs and cats had different nutritional values and couldn't feed dog food to cats? Should the dog food be mixed with her Wellness?

Last night I mixed a bit of the EVO Cat and Kitten with her Wellness (no old food or freeze dried salmon added) and she gobbled it up.

Update on Puddles: She actually came in the bathroom with me this morning and PLAYED with a toy. First time in a couple of years!. I did a happy dance this morning, she seems to have so much more energy now.

Jasper has lost 3 lbs in the last couple of months since switching from corn filled PC Nutrition 1st, to Wellness Core, Instinct, and Orijen. He eats about half of the quantity that he did before.

I am a reformed "feed your cat quality food" person!

Thank you everybody for your help! You probably have added a couple of years to her life!
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

EVO canned dog and cat food comparison

growler, you are right, they are exactly the same!! Have to e-mail them to ask about it. I am sure I read many times that dog and cat nutritional requirements were very different.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM

From everything I've heard yes dogs & cats do have different nutritional needs especially taurine for cats - however I guess in the 95% meat there isn't a difference why I don't know

I don't know about feeding them this as a primary diet or whether it should be just used as supplemental meals ie 1-2 times a week

and like I said a member of another forum feeds her cats solely the dogfood version of ? brand because they have the same ingredients & nutritional analysis

The lady from the supply store also mentions she has customers who feed Evo 95% meat dogfood varieties to her cat

Let me know what the response is you get from Evo

Old October 21st, 2007, 11:16 PM

L4H - I picked up 2 cans of 95% Venison dogfood Duffy was not impressed with it. She has never had venison before so it might just be that, though when I mixed it with the Wellness beef & chicken she finished it

good luck w/ Puddles

Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I picked up the 95% beef Wellness dog food on Friday and gave some to Puddles and her reaction was priceless. She sniffed, look at me and started backing up as if to say "What are you doing feeding me dog food, do you not realize who I am?", so she got some rare top sirloin steak instead. Much more to her standard.

She is eating Wellness Turkey and Chicken flavours quite well now. Got her a water fountain, but haven't seen her drink out of it yet. She is not much of a water drinker anyway and I have continued to syringe 3.5-7 ml of water in her mouth daily.

Her energy levels continue to improve with the higher quality food and her gums appear pinker.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:45 AM

I think we have a pair of "Princess Divas" on our hands for sure

Duffy will only eat the Evo 95% Vension if mixed w/Wellness but now she has decided she doesn't really like the Wellness Turkey wouldn't you know - the lowest phos of the 3 W varieties she's getting