Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 1st, 2017, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Apoquel

Is anyone currently using Apoquel? My vet wants to try it for Marty, but everything I read is not good.
Old May 1st, 2017, 01:07 PM

Obviously you've already researched it - well done!
It's being widely prescribed at the moment by vets who deem it to be a 'wonder drug' that will resolve itching and allergy almost immediately - and it does.
However, few vets seem to be aware of the long term implication of using this drug - the fact that you will need to increase the dosage as time does on, that it will eventually become ineffective or the damage it is doing to your dogs health.
It was also prescribed for my dog but I questioned it based on research I had done, much to my vets disgust. He said 'its a great drug' and when I asked him about the side effects his reply was that that it is not on the market long enough to for any of the 'hype' to be proven!!! That is not a reassuring answer for me and I refused to give it to my dog.
I chose allergy testing and an elimination diet for my dog but can't give you an honest report on that yet as its still ongoing. I also chose a homeopathic treatment for her. I would much prefer to take this approach and find out what is causing my dogs symptoms rather than mask them with a drug that may be doing more harm than good.
This is just my own personal opinion and your dogs need for medication may be different to mine - but I strongly advise that you research this particular medication extensively before you give it.
Old May 1st, 2017, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried oatmeal baths for dog and looking into Marty diet he could have allergy to some of the ingredient ?
Old May 1st, 2017, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for everyone's response. Marty has been on a raw diet for about 3 years now. We did do a test that showed if she had histamines present for allergies. I don't recall the name of that test. I believe it's immunity problem or maybe environmental. I may look into holistic vet. My vet although she is good really wants me to try this drug. She is 10 now and still a mystery. Sad to say she was probably a puppy mill dog. Best dog in the world !!!!!!!!
Old May 1st, 2017, 08:24 PM

Loki has been on Apoquel for over a year now - so far so good and it's the only thing that has helped him.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Loki Love did your dog have an nausea when starting the drug? We tried Atopica once and she vomited on it. The thing is she has been on vanectyl p for probably over 6 years now and the vet feels that will affect her at some point. That is the only thing that is helping my Marty. Everytime I wean her off she has a bad breakout.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 03:37 PM

I am not qualified to tell anyone what to do - but I am extensive researcher and I implore you not to use Apoquel.
It will supress your dog's own natural immune system and MAY in turn lead to further issues down the line.
Please research this drug. Yes, it works wonderfully initially - but at what cost? There are currently website dedicated to having this drug withdrawn - to my mind its just not worth the risk.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Loki Love did your dog have an nausea when starting the drug? We tried Atopica once and she vomited on it. The thing is she has been on vanectyl p for probably over 6 years now and the vet feels that will affect her at some point. That is the only thing that is helping my Marty. Everytime I wean her off she has a bad breakout.
Loki had no reaction like you're describing when starting Apoquel. He's been on it for less than a year I believe and so far so good.

We also were using Vanectyl P and had not bad results with it, and then eventually moved over to a very low dose of prednisone (5mg tablet for my 170 lbs dog - anyone who knows steriod doses for dogs knows that is a stupidly low dose). Unfortunately, the prednisone played havoc with Loki's liver - our vet had never seen such high values come from such a low dose. We had no choice but to remove all instances of prednisone from his system and that left us with Apoquel. It's been the best decision we ever made for Loki's well being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazanne View Post
I am not qualified to tell anyone what to do - but I am extensive researcher and I implore you not to use Apoquel.
It will supress your dog's own natural immune system and MAY in turn lead to further issues down the line.
Please research this drug. Yes, it works wonderfully initially - but at what cost? There are currently website dedicated to having this drug withdrawn - to my mind its just not worth the risk.
I too am an extensive researcher, and at one point one has to weigh the pros and cons. All medications can have side effects- it's a decision that should be discussed with your vet, and not with someone on the internet. With all due respect, one should not feel shamed for using a medication that has done miracles for their loved pet when no other options were left.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
Loki had no reaction like you're describing when starting Apoquel. He's been on it for less than a year I believe and so far so good.

We also were using Vanectyl P and had not bad results with it, and then eventually moved over to a very low dose of prednisone (5mg tablet for my 170 lbs dog - anyone who knows steriod doses for dogs knows that is a stupidly low dose). Unfortunately, the prednisone played havoc with Loki's liver - our vet had never seen such high values come from such a low dose. We had no choice but to remove all instances of prednisone from his system and that left us with Apoquel. It's been the best decision we ever made for Loki's well being.

I too am an extensive researcher, and at one point one has to weigh the pros and cons. All medications can have side effects- it's a decision that should be discussed with your vet, and not with someone on the internet. With all due respect, one should not feel shamed for using a medication that has done miracles for their loved pet when no other options were left.
I totally agree with this and I take your opinion firmly on board. I would never dream of shaming anyone one for doing what they believe is best for their dogs - we all go where our hearts tell us. It's just this particular drug that I have issues with but I know that many people are using it trustingly but innocently. It was not my intention to offend or undermine anyone - I genuinely would never dream of doing this. But I would also feel guilty if I just ignored a request for opinions on this drug when I have researched it so extensively and also when I work in veterinary and can monitor the patients that are taking it and the need to regularly increase doses until it no longer has any positive effect.
Not all medication can have negative side effects, but I agree that many can and do as I see it every day. I felt morally obliged to respond to your post, but not with the intention of making any pet parent feel bad for their personal choices. I apologise if I did so
I will keep my experiences and knowledge of Apoquel (and a couple of other veterinary prescriptions) to myself in future to ensure I don't cause any offence.
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post

Have you ever pulled a full thyroid panel on your dog? Pred is an immunosupressant as you know - and especially affects the thyroid which in turn affects the liver. This happens quick! But even a full blood panel doesn't always show positive for hypo. Most vets will pull a T4 carrier to check the thyroid - that comes back normal so it can't be hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, the body isn't using the thyroxine properly - same result.

My ex's dog was finally diagnosed as hypothyroid after 3 years of vet upon vet, food trial upon food trial. Poor dog ripping itself apart, constant infections. The last western vet argued that the dog had to go on Pred, I opted out. It likely would have killed the dog, I know that now.

I was so sure it was hypothyroidism, I did a 3 day trial of synthroid on the dog without the vets knowledge. Brand new dog after 24 hours. New vet, full thyroid panel, confirmation.
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Apoquel is probably a lesser evil than Prednisone. My dog was on Atopica, you could look into that one as well, it was around before Apoquel. If you get to the point that baths and over the counter antihistamines don't help either Apoquel or Atopica is well worth considering to relieve your dog's agony.

Ditto blood work. Some Vets now believe allergies are a symptom of a gut issue. In hindsight this IS TRUE for my dog. After serious illness in which Lymphangiectasia was diagnosed and recovery from that disease he is now itch free and not on Atopica or any other allergy med for three years. Bloodwork at age 5 that showed a low albumin count might have given us a heads up but my VEt was unaware. We now, since the Lymphangiectasia, see a Holistic/Integrative Vet and my dog is on a special diet, TCM and acupuncture. I had no idea acupuncture could target gut issues as well as muscle aches and pains, but it can.
Old May 6th, 2017, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
... Bloodwork at age 5 that showed a low albumin count might have given us a heads up but my VEt was unaware.
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I can't tell you how many blood results that i've seen on forums and my own dogs that vets have ignored. Drives me crazy.