Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 24th, 2008, 04:10 PM
New Parent

BENGAL CAT, BURLINGTON, ON. Looking to adopt

I recently came in the possesion of a Bengal cat that was a stray around my home. It was just taken away to the humaine society since someone was looking for her.

These last few days I've felt empty and can't sleep at night due to the empty bed. She definatly left an imprint in my life.

I would like to find a Bengal to adopt, i would choose no other cat. They are Loyal and lovable, trainable and a good choice if you can't have a dog.

I need to fill this empty space and get over the loss of this other cat.

If you know of any places around Burlington/hamilton area where these Bengals could be found, please...let me know
Old November 24th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Britt,a former neighbor of mine bought a Bengal kitten from a breeder for $3.000,a lot of money for a cat,or a dog for that matter.
There are many beautiful,lovable cats in shelters,waiting to get a home,why don't you check it out.
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

First, let me say thanks for helping out the kitty that you found. As for adopting a Bengal, I must point out that cats are all individuals, and the characteristics that you fell in love with in that stray cat may not necessarily be the same in another Bengal. I've met many a non-Bengal that were very loyal, lovable and trainable (my own DSH tabby, for starters), so if you can't specifically find a Bengal, how about opening your heart and home to another poor soul that needs love? Rescued cats in particular can be very loyal, since they know what a life without love has been like and they don't want to go back to it.

Having said all that, I do recall hearing about a hoarding situation in September in the Oakville area that involved some 50+ Bengal cats. The Oakville Humane Society was desperately looking for foster homes and/or adopters at the time. I have no idea what the situation is currently but here is their website: http://www.oakvillehumane.ca/home.html If you scroll down to the bottom, there's some info on the rescue.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:05 PM
New Parent

I've just checked out the site and I'm going to call them tomorrow. My mom agrees that we should check them out. I am not ruleing out other cats..but I just seem to keep coming back to this kind. Bengal, bengal, bengal....thats all I can think.

I hope they at least still have some
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Desnoyers View Post
but I just seem to keep coming back to this kind. Bengal, bengal, bengal....thats all I can think.

I hope they at least still have some
Britt,

These Bengals cats came from a horrific environment. These cats are extremely scared and very untrusting of humans. They are slowly learning to trust humans and learning what love and affection is. They are not as of right now lovey dovey. They prefer to hide right now and are afriad of any kind touch.

Just don't want you to get your hopes up.

ACO22
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am sorry to hear you lost the kitty, I know you were getting very attached to it. You did the right thing. There will be another kitty that will come along and steal your heart too.

Have you gone on petfinder to do a search for bengals up for adoption? When they do, they go very quickly as they do make wonderful pets.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There is one at the Mississauga HS:

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/dis...?petid=8653826

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

SCM,this is the first I hear about the Bengal-hoarder and I live here,I wonder where they were?
The cats on the pictures are stunning
Reading the update from OHS it seems many of the cats have been taken care of
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:41 PM
New Parent

just thought I'd let you know that my mom and I are going throught the process of adopting a baby girl bengal.

ps....who ever bought a bengal for 3000$ got seriously jipped
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
just thought I'd let you know that my mom and I are going throught the process of adopting a baby girl bengal.
Yay, congratulations!!! I'm very happy for you.

When you have some time, you might want to check out the food forum, as well as this site: http://www.catinfo.org/, for info on how to provide the best nutrition possible so that she lives a long and healthy life.

And of course we're going to want pics of this little cutie.....

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wonderful, can you give us any details? And of course we need pics

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM
New Parent

After speaking to the breeder, we bagan to think..."somethings up" it didn't feel right. As well as the price 900 smack-a-roonies just seemed like a heafty price. So in the end we decided not to and promised myself when I'm older and have my own place I will get one.

So in the meanwhile I reasearch shealters and soon enough I came across the Mississaga Humane Society, they don't have a shelter and are trying raise money for one, are in a crisis mode needing homes for all animals, weather foster or adoptions. Then I came across this

I fell in love! She was perfect in every way.
I am happy to say as of tuesday November 2nd I adopted cute little Jacoush (now known as Lumi, which means little light or little guiding light, romanian of course)

It took her a little while to adjust and get used to the house, and was very skiddish of me, but now were insepratable, she even loves me to stuff her in my sweater and just falls asleep in there. I am also in the heafty process of leash training.

At night she is a little restless and takes a while to calm down but usually falls asleep in my arms or cruled around my neck. I am in total love with her and find yself thinking at times "wow...she's actually mine!"

As well as if you adopt a kitten from the Mississauga Humane Society when you get them spayed or nuetered you get a rebate of 100 dollars
Attached Images

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
New Parent

More pictures of Lumi
Attached Images

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, what an absolutely adorable kitty I am so glad you found a kitty of your own. Am I correct in understanding you found this kitty at the Mississauga Humane Society?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:43 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

She is very sweet. You said Nov. 2 you adopted her. Did you mean that date or Dec 2? It's amazing that she has accepted the other beauty that was in the one picture so fast. And that the other kitty accepted her so fast. Is the bunny real? Can't really tell if it's stuffed or real. If it's real it's amazing they accepted each other that quickly too. It's only been a little more than a day.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh my goodness, what a cute little tuxedo! She's positively scrumptious. Congratulations.

Old December 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I too am amazed at how quickly she accepted by the Bunny and the other kitty in the pic.
She seems adorable,lucky little kitty to get a good home
I've heard from friends in Mississauga,a new no-kill shelter had been built,is that where you got Lumi from
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM

WOW! she is adorable. I can't believe how much her facial markings look like my kitten's. How old is she? (If the humane society knew.) She looks like she might even be around the same age.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Congrats on saving this precious life. Your baby is absolutely adorable. Thank you for considering the rescue alternative...believe me - it is very rewarding knowing that you have helped save one....and such a beauty at that.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:35 PM

She's adoreable! Reminds me of my very first kitty Tinker Bell! I also had a rabbit that looked like that and played with my kitty.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
New Parent

Yes I did from a foster home
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
New Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Oh, what an absolutely adorable kitty I am so glad you found a kitty of your own. Am I correct in understanding you found this kitty at the Mississauga Humane Society?
Yes i did, from a foster home
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
New Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
She is very sweet. You said Nov. 2 you adopted her. Did you mean that date or Dec 2? It's amazing that she has accepted the other beauty that was in the one picture so fast. And that the other kitty accepted her so fast. Is the bunny real? Can't really tell if it's stuffed or real. If it's real it's amazing they accepted each other that quickly too. It's only been a little more than a day.
No I went on November 2nd picked her up and adopted her all in the same day. And its still taking Melly a bit to get used to Lumi, I think she's got her nose out of joint. And yes its a real rabbit, thats Simon, hes my sisters. They like to give each other kisses all the time.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:21 PM
New Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I too am amazed at how quickly she accepted by the Bunny and the other kitty in the pic.
She seems adorable,lucky little kitty to get a good home
I've heard from friends in Mississauga,a new no-kill shelter had been built,is that where you got Lumi from
Yes but she was at a foster home but the Mississauga Humane Society doesn't have a shelter yet.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:22 PM
New Parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
WOW! she is adorable. I can't believe how much her facial markings look like my kitten's. How old is she? (If the humane society knew.) She looks like she might even be around the same age.
shes around 12 1/2 weeks
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
No I went on November 2nd picked her up and adopted her all in the same day. And its still taking Melly a bit to get used to Lumi, I think she's got her nose out of joint. And yes its a real rabbit, thats Simon, hes my sisters. They like to give each other kisses all the time.

Ahh, ok, that explains a little then. I was confused because you posted this thread on Nov 24th saying you were looking for a Bengal. Then said you looked at some but the price tag was too steep (I agree) so you went and adopted this sweetie. I guess it just seems a little weird.
She is a sweetheart and looks quite happy. Also pretty darned big for just a little over 3 months. She's gonna be a big gal!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; December 4th, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old December 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Quote:

I am happy to say as of tuesday November 2nd I adopted cute little Jacoush (now known as Lumi,
November 2nd was a Sunday

I was a little confused too.....but kitty is a cute as a button.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:17 PM

Bengal X at Burlington Humane Society

Hi Britt - there is a Bengal X named Sydney at the Burlington Humane Society - 905-637-7325 - call them to see if she is still there and available for adoption. I share my space with two cats, and I know what the "empty space" thing is that you mention. Good luck! I happen to know that she is super sweet, a lap cat, and carries on conversations! I don't think we humans possess animals, but she sure is adoptable! :}