Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old December 15th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Pets more trustworthy than people: Survey

An interesting article.

http://www.leaderpost.com/life/Pets+...862/story.html

Canadian pet owners would rather deal with their furry friends than other people, according to a recent study by Harris/Decima.

The study revealed that 53 per cent of Canadians who own pets find them more reliable than people. Ninety per cent of Canadians talk to their pets and one-third have confided their deepest, darkest secrets to Fido or Milo or Hero.

According to the survey, conducted for Purina and its pet connection website, PawsWay.ca, pet owners look to their animals for all manner of interactions including using them as confidantes, matchmakers, personal trainers and possibly even therapists.

Shiri Joshua, a psychotherapist who specializes in animal-human relationships, agrees that pets are good friends for people.

"There are many reasons why people trust their pets, but what's really important is that we learn from their behaviour," Joshua said in a release Wednesday. "We can honour what they teach us by offering the same gifts to the people in our lives; namely, by being kinder as human beings towards one another."

Joshua said sharing our lives with a pet may make it easier for us to deal with the other people in our lives and those we come into contact with.

"Sharing a life with a companion animal actually acts as a catalyst for human-to-human interaction; by observation alone, it's quite obvious that people talk to one another, laugh and smile more if there is a pet involved," she said.

Pets have always been a social network of sorts. According to the survey, 61 per cent of pet owners say their neighbours talk to them more when they are with their pet, and about 41 per cent say their pets have helped them begin a new relationship with someone they might not have otherwise met.

Pet people seem to meet other pet people.

Animals have also been found to help people deal with illness, Joshua said.

"I once spoke with a woman who was quite depressed before she adopted her puppy," Joshua said. "Her dog helped her open up to the world and she met her husband shortly after. She says if it wasn't for her pet, she never would have learned how to trust others and build strong relationships. Her pet helped her connect with people."

"Companion animals are very sensitive to their owner's emotions and energy because they share their space," said Joshua. "They are able to sense when things are not right and respond accordingly. They often pick up on our moods and even physical illness before we are aware of it ourselves."

This might go toward explaining why 61 per cent of survey respondents said their pets deal with them differently when they are sick. Pet owners said their animals helped lift their spirits.

The feelings are mutual it seems. Thirty per cent of pet owners said, if permitted, they would bring their animals to work because they don't like to think of them home alone all day long.

According to Statistics Canada, about half of all households in the country have at least one pet. The average expenditure on pets in Canada, according to the government agency's 2008 data, is about $439 a year.

"Pets are powerful. Research shows us that the bond we share with them spills over into other areas of our lives and greatly enhances our connections with people," said Karen Kuwahara, president at Nestle Purina PetCare Canada.

The poll was conducted between Nov. 11 and Nov. 14. It surveyed 1,014 adult Canadians, of which 781 own or have owned a cat or dog. The margin of error for this subgroup was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points 19 times out of 20.

Harris/Decima pet survey facts:

- 73 per cent believe pets can sniff out illness.

- Women more likely to confide in pets (33 per cent) than men (18 per cent).

- 44 per cent would bring their pets to a hotel if allowed.

- 86 per cent believe pets can help lift a bad mood.

- 82 per cent of retirees (65 plus) feel less alone in their home because of pets.

- 67 per cent believe their pets help to keep them active.

Breeds:

The Canadian Cat Breeders Association lists breeds including: Manx, American shorthair, Himalayan and Persian.

http://www.cca-afc.com/classified/index.php?

The Canadian Kennel Club lists dog breeds including: Chesapeake Bay retriever, Irish setter, Newfoundland, border collie.

http://www.ckc.ca/en/
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.canada.com/life/Pets+more...#ixzz18D2siH1g
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

and people are surprised by this?
Old December 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
and people are surprised by this?
Doesn't surprise me at all . They are more loyal and don't judge

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

A good post but I agree, it seems obvious.

People have all kinds of motives and hidden agendas and baggage that pets don't have.

I'm guessing that as we go up the food chain to smarter animals from an insect to a mouse to a dog to an ape to man (not that smarter is always better), trustworthiness goes down in a linear fashion.

Hmm this line of thinking suggests that a mouse is more trustworthy than a dog, I'll buy that for a dollar.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

tell that to hubby Marko, my hubs still hasn't forgiven me from 29 yrs ago when my pet mice chewed through his new long johns...*L* he shouldn't have left them near their cage!!
Old December 15th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
tell that to hubby Marko, my hubs still hasn't forgiven me from 29 yrs ago when my pet mice chewed through his new long johns...*L* he shouldn't have left them near their cage!!
that's right, melinda, hubby being on the top of the animal intelligence list should have known better.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Does not surprise me at all. I feel that way no hidden agenda with animals okay they may play you for a treat or some loving.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:37 PM
You can call me DOG!

Interesting article Pipercats.

I know personally, I've learned from my pets to have a much better perspective on life by having them around.

They're always eager to please, don't argue back and have taught me to be a much happier person.

Heck, if it wasn't for them...I wouldn't be here!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Senior Contributor

they also make you exercise, get you out of the house..
Old December 16th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I know my Rocky(cat)always sensed when I was sad,he let me cry into his coat on several occasions and his purring somehow made me feel better....
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:25 AM
~Cat Servent~

aw Chico, I know what you mean....when I get really upset and cry, Buddy will curl up on my chest and purr till I stop...

I'll take these guys over people as companions anyday...just pure uncomplicated love!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M