Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 12th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Dog feeding question

Hello

I put food out for my dog before I leave for work in the morning but somtimes when I come home the food is still there and then after I take her out she eats the food. My Mom is worried that she is very hungry and feeds her both of her 2 meals a day at once. Which is 1/2 a cup morning and evening. We have the dog Orijen. I noticed last night that my dog had bad gas. I was wondering If it was because she was fed to much at once or if Orijen is just not right for her. This is the first time i have noticed gas with her on Orijen and she has been on it for a few weeks.

Just wondering if I should contiue on with the food and see what happens? I was told you have to give new dog food at least 1 month before coming to the assumption that it is not the right food.

We did to a slow transition with her on to Orijen.
Old February 12th, 2010, 09:23 PM
-

If she has gas, an upset stomach or has to go to the bathroom (some dogs go more than once on their morning walks) she would be disinterested in food.

I'm not sure I understand your point about your mother. If she's not eating any of her food why would your mother assume she's hungry and feed her both her breakfast and supper at the same time?

I found my grrrls had more gas and softer stools with the Orijen fish than they did with the adult chicken formula. Now I hear Orijen has come out with a beef formula as well.

She may have just had a stanky nite! It happens to the best of us.

(If it continues or if your dog seems uncomfortable after every meal or if your dog is interested in food other than what is in her bowl then it may be time to rethink the Orijen. But most dogs do just fine on it.)
Old February 18th, 2010, 02:40 PM
WOOOOF!

The gas was most likely a result of eating too much at once. Orijen is a high protien food and can cause gas and smelly poops in some dogs. My dogs also had very smelly gas from Orijen. I had my dogs on Orijen for 3 months and the gas and poop did not improve. I switched them to Acana, a lower protien food made by the same place as Orijen and just as quality, and they smell much better.

I would keep with the Orijen for the rest of the month to see how she does, most dogs do really well on Orijen. If you can, try to have her on a food schedule. The reason she may not be eating the food in the morning is because you leave the food out for her, and she know she can eat it whenever she wants to. So put the food down for her, if she doesn't eat it within 5 minutes pick it up and put it away, try again in 15 minutes. If she doesn't eat it after a few tries just put the food away. Eventualy she will realize that she doesn't get to eat whenever she feels like it.

Hope this helps.

Akira: Boss lady.
Adam: 110 pound lapdog.
Maximus: Shy guy, but will lick your face off.
Kitty: "PET MEEEEE"
Tig: Chillen.