Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Question Help... My boyfriend Old Spiced the puppy

I have a new puppy (just adopted from the SPCA), with dry, itchy, flaky skin. I told my boyfriend not to worry, that as soon as his diet improved (we have been giving him a bit of cod liver oil with his food) his skin would improve. He decided to take matters into his own hands and bathed the pup using his old spice body wash. Now the problem seems to be worse than ever. I am worried to bathe him again, even with the special shampoo that I purchased from Petsmart, and dry out his skin more. Is there a non-bath product I can use? Should I just wait it out? What should I do next?
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to say, but I think you have to take him to the vet and find out exactly what you are dealing with. It could be due to allergies, or some kind of dermatitis. Bathing him may be the exact wrong thing to do, even using special soap. If I adopted a dog from the pound, I'd probably take him to the vet anyway; those people are so busy, they are bound to miss things.
Make sure you buy him the best food you can afford, this will really help his coat and his health in general.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I agree, call the vet and go get him checked out. For the skin, and in general. I am sure your vet will tell you about their reccomended foods, when that happens, come back to this board and look in the food sections for better alternatives...vet food is ok, but not great.

If you can't get in right away, maybe rinse him under warm water, no soap. Does anyone think thats a bad idea? Maybe a good rinse will at least ensure there is no old spice left.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:50 PM

i third the motion to take him to the vet. He may need a skin graph in order to tell exactly what is causing his irritated skin, it could be anything from allergies to parasites and if you have other pets it may or may not be transmittable, vet care is honestly your best option.
Old February 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I kind of agree with Fordgirl here at least to try to get any of the old spice stuff off him if it is irritating his skin...and absolutely agree a vet check is order to at least know what your dealing with. Good quality food will really help! Let us know how you make out..

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:02 PM

I wouldn't bathe the pup again, even with plain water--it's drying, not a moisturizer.

I whole-heartedly agree with having this skin problem checked by a vet.

I might try one thing before heading to the vet, and that is aloe-treated "wet" toilet paper. Should be in the baby-care section at the super market. This helped my aging Golden Retriever some years back, but what really helped her was the vet's recommendation to change to senior food.
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
head in the clouds

dogs dont need washed too frequently and dont wash them in soap for a while... did you get the dog with flaky skin.. could it possibly be a mite?
Old February 13th, 2008, 09:19 PM

Thank you all for the advise

I took little Churro to the vet, and she confimed that there are no other skin problems, and gave me a medicated shampoo that is safe for more frequent use that won't try his skin. She also recommended a very low dose of children's benedryl.

Wow I am so glad I joined this forum!
Old February 14th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Benadryl is for short-term relief from allergies so did she think allergies were the problem? Any advice about what to feed him?
Old February 14th, 2008, 01:14 AM
-

Glad to hear that Churro doesn't have any parasites that are causing the dry itchy skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic n Churro View Post
I have a new puppy (just adopted from the SPCA), with dry, itchy, flaky skin. I told my boyfriend not to worry, that as soon as his diet improved (we have been giving him a bit of cod liver oil with his food) his skin would improve.
Cod liver oil contains very high amounts of Vitamin A and Vitamin D. Both of these are fat soluble vitamins that build up in the body over time. If too much is given it will cause Vitamin A or D toxicity. It is much safer to supplement with Salmon Oil.

What are you feeding Churro?
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Kitty pimp

Well HI welcome I am sure you are going to have a lovely puppy, I am not too sure about the boyfriend though. SOunds like he needs some education about animal care. Churro must have smelt prettty good though.

In a while, after the stress of a new home for churro eases, he will probaly improve his coat Stress can dry out a dog just like humans..
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad you took your puppy to the vet.

I concur, visit the food forum and you will be helped on finding the best food for your puppy.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

glad it worked out for you. The fish oil vitamins work wonders on my animals. all animals that pass by my house are required to take one with their meal. I totally understand the need to bathe a dog after his release from the shelter (pew). good luck.
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad you took little Churro to the vet. I would have advised the same thing, and also just a plain water bath, to get the old Spice off of him.

His food might also be the issue for him having skin problems. You might have to experiment with that a bit.

Oh, and do you have any pictures of the little guy?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
~Cat Servent~

Wow, I'm glad this already has a positive outcome! Hope his skin gets better soon!

And welcome to the forum! Have you posted pics of your new addition yet?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 14th, 2008, 03:09 PM
-

Oooops, I just realized I forgot to welcome you to pets.ca and we would love to see pics of Churro. And, how is he doing today?