Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old September 15th, 2014, 10:10 PM

Unhappy Old Cat with Odd symptoms. I need help making a choice.

My cat, Willow is very old...and due to my parents negligence she has not been to the vet in over 10 years and since her age is catching up with her, she is becoming very sick(?)
I am asking this because we do not have the money to take her to the vet...I want someone's professional opinion on this.
Please note, I love my animals very much...I want to know if I should get her put down or keep saving my money to eventually take her to the vet?
My final option is to take her to a Cat-Haven in my town who can take her of her until she passes...
But I do not want to milk her life if it is thought that she is in pain. Plus this breaks my heart because I want her ashes...All in all, I don't want to be selfish with keeping her alive.

Her symptoms:
-Pulling her fur out
-Twitching and fidgeting and constant moving. Like when you toss and turn in bed to try and get comfy?
-Sitting on her tail?...
-Incredibly skinny
-Licking herself constantly
-Urinating and defecating on furniture and floors.

PLEASE NO RUDE COMMENTS ...It was never my choice for whether my animals went to the vet or not, If it WAS my choice, my cat would of been at the vet every month...My parents take our dogs every month, but always told me "the cats do not need vet treatment"...I hate my parents for this but since Willow is behind on so many shots, They don't even want to imagine what the bill would be.
They will only pay to allow her to be put down...
Please, what should I do?... Do I put my dear cat down or send her off for someone else to pay the bill (Which I feel horribly guilty to do...)
Old September 16th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Synchohearted,

None of these symptoms, imo, require you to put your cat to sleep at this moment.

The urination and defecation could easily be due to a dirty litter box (from the cat's point of view) or other very common problems.

If this were my cat, at this age I would not rehome the cat...but obviously without vet care, you could expect one day that you will need to put the cat to sleep.

Here's an article on when that time should be.
http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/euthana...e-pet-tip-228/

It's very hard for members who love animals to hear about them being neglected to this point. I'll try not to be rude, because rudeness is not the policy of this site.

That said, there is no rule against honesty. You can tell your parents straight up that this Admin is disgusted with this level of neglect and narrow minded thinking (dogs are not better than cats).
This cat deserves medical care now JUST as they will require it when they become old and infirm.

I do wish you luck though.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 16th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

How old is Willow?

Some of us do not vaccinate past the one year stage, except for rabies which is legally required some places. I no longer vaccinate mine for anything other than rabies after one year old. Willow might ok that way.

Do you brush her? That will help her coat. Arthritis may (MAY, that cannot be diagnosed without a Vet visit but it's a good bet for an older cat or dog) be limiting her ability to groom. You can do this for her, small bits at a time if she is not used to it.

Arthritis might also make it difficult for her to lift her legs up to get in and out of her litter box. We think this is why our old girl, nearly 18, is having some of the same issues. Our Bitty is worse some days, ok others.

What are you feeding her? Cats can be notoriously finicky, as is well known. Some tricks to try, offer her only small amounts of food but more fequently. Pet her while she is eating. Head to end of tail petting stimulates many if not most cats to eat. Stay with her while she eats, sometimes they just want company. I am now feeding my old girl mostly ground turkey that I cook myself. My dog has been extremely ill and cooked turkey with cooked sweet potato is his recovery diet. Of course I offered a bit of the turkey to Itty Bitty Kitty and she loves it and that is now her main diet. Bitty has regained her weight and her coat has improved. A cat her age, at her activity level does not need much of this turkey.

A Vet may work out a payment plan with you. Perhaps you could do office work, cleaning or such of the office or where sick animals are kept, to pay off a bill owing?

Good luck.
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hi Synchohearted,

None of these symptoms, imo, require you to put your cat to sleep at this moment.

The urination and defecation could easily be due to a dirty litter box (from the cat's point of view) or other very common problems.

If this were my cat, at this age I would not rehome the cat...but obviously without vet care, you could expect one day that you will need to put the cat to sleep.

Here's an article on when that time should be.
http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/euthana...e-pet-tip-228/

It's very hard for members who love animals to hear about them being neglected to this point. I'll try not to be rude, because rudeness is not the policy of this site.

That said, there is no rule against honesty. You can tell your parents straight up that this Admin is disgusted with this level of neglect and narrow minded thinking (dogs are not better than cats).
This cat deserves medical care now JUST as they will require it when they become old and infirm.

I do wish you luck though.
The litter box is fine believe it or not...I scoop it every single day.
And, pfft, please, if me telling them for years will not change their minds then an admin they don't even know will not phase them...
Why do you think I don't want to give her up?? She is 13/14 years old...that is WAY to old to re-home a cat. It would put her under so much stress and thats disgusting.
Old September 16th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Oh, she eats fine! We have no idea why she is so thin She actually loves to eat, which is why it's bewildering to me that she is bones.
I appreciate your help I really do. I am just going to get a job and find a way to pay for her vet bill...
I am just really upset cause I really wanted to go to college. I just graduated from highschool. And they said I could, but I am so tempted to pull:
"If we don't have money to pay for my cat, then we don't have money for college"
Like, serious guilt trip.
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.animalplanet.com/pets/hea...ing-weight.htm

Here are 5 reasons why a cat can get thin , is the cat drinking more water than normally ? Just b/c the cat is behind in his shots is not a good reason to not bring him to the vet. All pets needs to be seen by a vet during their life time no matter how small they're . I am upset that your parents did not give the poor cat the care he needed and now the poor is suffering b/c of this.
Old September 16th, 2014, 03:03 PM

Your cat could have a lot of good years left in her yet. I wouldn't bother on shots, which would also save money. At the very least she should have her teeth checked, and a blood workup. Could you tell your parents that if they take her to the vet this would be your birthday and Christmas present for the next 2-3 years, this way they wouldn't have to shop, and you'd be happy. Or, maybe they could charge the bill and you could pay it off with a part time job? If they have the money to take more than one dog to the vet every month they should be able to take the cat, if you promise to repay.
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:03 PM

You all have given REASONABLE suggestions...My parents are not reasonable.
They are greedy with their money, if it's not worth it in their eyes they will not pay for it.

And the shots are not what I want, but my vet will not even think about looking at my cat until he gives her the shots...which will be $900+
She is not healthy which is what scares me...plus she is ruining our furniture, which I feel bad for cause she is my cat.
I just don't know what to do anymore. I appreciate all the replies, everyone. I really do.
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Try to find a different Vet. If your cat is sick she should NOT be vaccinated till she is well.

$900 for shots is ridiculous. I just gave a stray I've taken in all her shots and without checking my bill I think it was around $200 including the office fee. And I'm in Canada where these things tend to be more expensive. I may not be familiar with the costs in Florida but I think your Vet is ripping you off big time and taking advantage of your young age.

You say your parents have kept up Vet visits for the dogs? It should be about the same price. What did you pay the last time the dogs got boostered?
Old September 16th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycohearted View Post
Her symptoms:
-Pulling her fur out
-Twitching and fidgeting and constant moving. Like when you toss and turn in bed to try and get comfy?
-Sitting on her tail?...
-Incredibly skinny
-Licking herself constantly
-Urinating and defecating on furniture and floors.
These symptoms, plus her hearty appetite, sound an awful lot like hyperthyroidism, a very common health problem in older cats. It's also readily treatable with inexpensive medication. A simple blood test can provide so much info..... but please find a different vet! Do not, under any circumstances, allow a vet to vaccinate her at this time! It even says on all vaccine box labels: for healthy animals only. A vet who would ignore this and insist on vaccines is only in it for the money (and $900 is completely ridiculous - are you sure that doesn't also include diagnostics? It's still outrageous though.).

Would your parents not feel horrible if they knew they killed their cat when they could have so easily saved her?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 16th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Your parents needs to find a new vet that vet is highway robbery ! None of my vet bills come no where close to being $900 for my dog. This vet is putting pets lives at risk by overcharging pets owners if he is the only vet around . People can't afford $900 for vets bill , you really need to made some phones calls and try to find a more reasonable price vet then see if your parents will bring the poor kitty in for a check up.
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:14 PM

Oooh, yes! I could find another vet...but will they look at her even though Willow is 10+years behind on shots???
And hell no...My mom tells me almost everyday she wishes the cats would die.
Maybe my boyfriend can help me out too..I know he would, he has supported me through this.

I love my cat dearly...Which is why I reached out to this forum to seek what other people thought.
Old September 16th, 2014, 06:19 PM

And for the cat fans, here is the sweet baby we are talking about
This is my, Willow

Old September 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And for the cat fans, here is the sweet baby we are talking about
This is my, Willow

OMG she is way too cute! Did you look on line to see if there are any low cost vets around , I am not sure if you have any Petco where you live, I know some people bring their pets there b/c they're cheaper. I really can't say how good the vets are as I never use a Petco vet. I hope you b/f can help you , I can see why you love your sweet kitty so much what sweet face she has .
Old September 16th, 2014, 11:55 PM

She is my beautiful sweetheart...she loves attention <3

And I am going to have to see if I can find some low-cost vets...Yes, we do have Petco!! Are they apparently cheap?
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

She still has a lot of brightness in her eyes and she's a beauty.

In terms of the litterbox thing...just as an FYI, the litter also must be 100% changed every single week. Given that your parents don't want to spend $ on vets, maybe they also don't want to buy 1 bag of fresh litter each week.

If this is the case, then from your cat's point of view the litter box is dirty. (This is the single most common reason cats eliminate outside the box...(like humans, they really don't like dirty smelly toilets)

If you yourself can smell the litterbox from time to time (that urine smell) it's dirty and the cat won't use it.

Hope this may help and glad you are choosing to help the cat.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Back to add, if she is eating fine but losing weight then something serious is going on. My first thought would be diabetes but there are other possibilites.

We have five cats and change litter at least once a day.

Willow is very pretty. What are her favourite games to play?
Old September 17th, 2014, 12:00 PM

The hair loss and loss of weight despite eating a lot sound like hyperthyroidism, something my old cat had, as does the high activity level. The other symptoms may be related or may not. The pills for this are really (for pills) fairly inexpensive. If this is the problem, once you start giving them, it takes only a few weeks to start seeing a dramatic difference.
If the vet diagnoses this, I would suggest getting them to demonstrate how to administer the pills if the cat won't take them voluntarily. It takes a bit of skill to get a pill down a cat who doesn't want to be pilled and it sounds like your parents will have no experience with this. Not all cats will voluntarily swallow pills, and grinding them up doesn't always work if it makes their food taste/smell funny. Also, make up a list of questions to take with you. A visit to a vet can be overwhelming and it is easy to forget something you want/need to know. If you have a list, you won't have to worry about forgetting.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 17th, 2014, 01:18 PM

It really does sound like hyperthyroidism. Common in older cats. Worth the money for a blood test to check for it.

The litter box issue sounds exactly like what has already been explianed. Kitty think the box is dirty, even if you scoop it daily. Dump it out, wash it well, and refill with fresh litter, weekly.

I have never heard of a vet refusing to see an animal if it wasn't UTD on shots. And $900 is absurd for shots. I pay just under $70 for an exam with vaccines, and that's from Toronto, Canada...where prices do seem to be higher than in the USA.
Old September 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogsmum View Post
It really does sound like hyperthyroidism. Common in older cats. Worth the money for a blood test to check for it.

The litter box issue sounds exactly like what has already been explianed. Kitty think the box is dirty, even if you scoop it daily. Dump it out, wash it well, and refill with fresh litter, weekly.

I have never heard of a vet refusing to see an animal if it wasn't UTD on shots. And $900 is absurd for shots. I pay just under $70 for an exam with vaccines, and that's from Toronto, Canada...where prices do seem to be higher than in the USA.
I heard of vets refusing to treat dogs that are not UTD on their shots , it sound like the vet is out to made money and not really there for the pets. Sadly there are vets like this , I met to one and never went back to her.
Old September 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM

@Marko, I will do anything I can for my baby. My mother just bought me a cat-starter kit with a litter box and food bowl, so she will be living in my room now. I will be prepared for my items to be ruined. But I just can't part with her
Thank you for your comments <3

@LongBlades, Yes! She loves to eat...and that is why I have been so scared with her losing weight...people have been tossing around the term "hyperthyroidism" so I will be doing all I can for her with the small amounts of money my boyfriend and I have...
Oh! Willow loves to play fetch believe it or not...if you throw her mouse-toy she will return it to you. She is VERY active...
She also comes to my specific whistle. She grew up around dogs, so she loves to act like one...She also adores to play in boxes.

@OwnedByCats, My options of the vet are zero. Sad to say it, but it's true. I will look for those pills though! I have heard that kissing a cat's nose or touching their nose makes them swallow? So I'll try that with her pills. God, she is going to hate me.

@MogsMum Unfortunately it's true here. The vet will not even think about what is wrong with the cat/dog until the shots are UTD...It's absurd, trust me...My cat really needs blood work done...
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:30 PM

I go to two different vets, and both of them give me a very hard time about shots. I don't give in, and finally they drop it. but one made me sign a paper saying I'm opting out of giving shots, and he keeps it in my cats folder. I definitely agree, if your cat is older, and ill, no shots, now or later. I would also travel as far as necessary to have your cat treated by someone else, your vets prices are a total joke.
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:05 PM

...You can tell the Vet you refuse to have your cat vaccinated?
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
http://floridaanimalcontrol.org/home-rabies-vac/

I am not sure how up to date this web site is but from your state. I know each state has it own law about cats needing to get shots. I read a more states are requiring cats to get shots and license just like dogs , I feel this a way to made more money . Please give your sweet kitty a kiss for me .
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:37 AM

I live in N.Y., so maybe things are different here, but yes, I refuse all shots, My cats are all older, and none of them EVER go outside, so that might make a difference, also. They all had shots when they were younger, but now I refuse them.
Old September 18th, 2014, 11:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
You can always refuse a treatment or vaccinations, but the vet may also then refuse to see your animal. I don't think there are any laws about it, so it depends on the clinic's policy, at least here in WI. The only vaccination required by law here is rabies, given every 3 years. Everything else is negotiable...

And, if your cat is ill, you shouldn't have it vaccinated at all until her health issues are resolved. That in itself should be enough for the vet to look at your cat without vaccinating first--responsibly, the vet shouldn't even be considering vaccination at this point.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 18th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/rabies-laws

According to this web site Florida require cats and dogs to get shots. Every state is difference and the OP should call their health department or ACO and find out what the law is in their city or town .
Old September 18th, 2014, 02:16 PM

Barkingdog is correct...which is why the comment of "refusing shots" was so shocking to me...In FL they are mandetory...
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Only the rabies shot is required, and right on the vial that the vet takes the dose from it warns that ailing animals should not be vaccinated. You can refuse any of the other vaccinations your vet wants to give your cat--and you should also refuse to get your cat vaccinated for rabies at least until she is feeling better. Vaccinating a sick animal stresses their already-stressed immune system even more and can have serious consequences.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 18th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Only the rabies shot is required, and right on the vial that the vet takes the dose from it warns that ailing animals should not be vaccinated. You can refuse any of the other vaccinations your vet wants to give your cat--and you should also refuse to get your cat vaccinated for rabies at least until she is feeling better. Vaccinating a sick animal stresses their already-stressed immune system even more and can have serious consequences.
I agree with you but OP will have to find a vet that will see her cat as is , I wonder if there is any vet that will threat a cat that not up to date on it shots. The OP will have to made some phone calls and see if they can find a vet that will see her cat. Poor kitty. I wonder if there is a way to have a vet made a house call then they would not have to worry about the cat going to their office and being expose to other cats. There are mobile vets in Florida , I found some on line.

Last edited by Barkingdog; September 18th, 2014 at 09:58 PM.

Tags
cat illness old