Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

Anyone Fined By Their Municipality ?

Like many here I run the rescue out of my house and with fosters.. my municipality only allows three dogs .. I was fined last year for having two extra dogs in my place after they came into my yard then up on my deck and snapped pictures through my patio door of the dogs in my kitchen barking as they were frightened of this intruder snapping pictures.. Well the other day I was washing my hair and I heard the dogs barking wildly so I put a towel on my hair and went to look.. only to find these two people in my yard headed for my deck again.. I went and grabbed my camera so I would have evidence of this .. they paid me absolutely no mind.. as I took their picture peeping through my kitchen patio door.. yesterday I was hit with a $1400. fine for extra dogs.. now the last time I went to court the judge told me that in the bylaw I could have a dog who was licensed elsewhere here for up to 6 weeks.. these dogs were licensed.. and were going into foster on that weekend as both had just been through surgery..
Here are the pictures I took..
http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.b...ted-again.html Have any of you gone through this craziness ?

Helen
BHRQ

http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/ Blog

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=322077912703&ref=ts
Facebook
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Don't they need a warrant to go on your property and do that .

Isn't the pretty much the same as a peeping tom? What if you were doing the deed with your partner

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:01 PM

My municipality was trying to quietly pass a bylaw that gave them the right to enter any property without notice. The bylaw also included the # of dogs allowed on a property. I have 4 dogs - will need a "kennel license" over and above the price of tags for the dogs ($500.00). That will only cover the extra dog allowed (3 is the max). If I had 5 dogs it would be $1000.00 and so on. Just a money grab. I haven't told my municipality about the dogs and my neighbors know about them HOWEVER..... in the spring there will be new neighbors down the road and who knows what will happen. Oh yes, that bylaw I am talking about - the property owners in the County (a very large county) protested and took the County officials to task. The bylaw has been put on hold for a while but rest assured it won't poke its ugly head for quite a while as we are now aware of what they are trying to do - take away our freedom & rights. I plan on moving in the summer anyway.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
Skylar's Farm

That sure looks like trespassing to me.
Next time call 911 and scream that there are strangers at your door.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
That sure looks like trespassing to me.
Next time call 911 and scream that there are strangers at your door.
That's funny.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM

Where I live the city workers, gas companies, hydro,police, people like that are allowed to enter the property. I do not believe they should be taking pictures through the window. Usually the by-law officers only come around if someone has phoned in a complaint and if they can't get an answer at the door then they will enter the property and take pictures for proof that there is a law being broken. Our by-law states only 3 dogs per household and someone that lives a few blocks away has had 5 dogs for the past 9 yrs. but a new neighbor moved in and complained about the barking and was fined for having too many dogs and had to give up 2.
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
-

omg the nerves !! I can't believe they're allowed to do this

if only they would put that much effort to look out for abused and neglected dogs tied up in people's backyard

I should really lend you Churchill , they wouldn't dare step a foot in your backyard
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

boy this sucks, makes me a little nervous, brenda and the pins
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1 View Post
Where I live the city workers, gas companies, hydro,police, people like that are allowed to enter the property. .
No they are not, people just think that they are allowed. Just as the police are not allowed to just enter your home of out buildings without a warrant. Helen we have had a problem with bi-law officers and bell, and rogers, etc..We sought legal advice..put a LARGE 'no trespassing ' sign on your gate/s. Call the powers that be and inform them that their employee's are NOT allowed in your yard without coming to your front door first. This way you're covering your butt. Next time they appear at your home, if they walk into your yard call the police and have them charged with trespassing.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Next time they appear at your home, if they walk into your yard call the police and have them charged with trespassing.

or .... if you have a shot gun .... would scare the heck out of them

Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:16 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post

or .... if you have a shot gun .... would scare the heck out of them

lol, yup that would work too,,when the bell guy came here and was swearing at grace, etc,,she called me, i came home, she told me what happened..Funny how quickly he got down his ladder and left when i walked out into the yard with a crossbow in my hand and suggested it was time he leave.

ladies,,if you own dogs, and these people walk onto your property and your dog bites they can drag you into court. Not saying they'll win but.....oh and make sure it's no trespassing,,not beware of dog,,implies your dog is known to bite.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:56 PM
-

Quote:

ladies,,if you own dogs, and these people walk onto your property and your dog bites they can drag you into court. Not saying they'll win but.....oh and make sure it's no trespassing,,not beware of dog,,implies your dog is known to bite.
Or a sign saying "DOG ON PREMISES'
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Helen, I would think that is totally illegal,,trespassing, peeping in windows, taking pictures?

What is that blue cover? Did they have to move that to take pics too? Do u have legal aid there cause if u do I'd go see a lawyer.

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. You do such good things for the poor dogs you rescue.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:25 PM
You can call me DOG!

How violating Helen!

I agree with Aslan and a "No Trespassing" sign would be more effective that a "Beware of Dog" sign.

Couple years ago, I renewed our dogs licenses then 2 weeks later, the "patrol" came knocking on my door wanting to issue me a fine for not licensing. I had to run up to my filing cabinet to get my receipt to prove to him they were a bunch of morons and the left hand really needed to talk to the right hand!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:44 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenNutmeg View Post
.. now the last time I went to court the judge told me that in the bylaw I could have a dog who was licensed elsewhere here for up to 6 weeks.
Do you have any papers documenting what the judge told you? If so, bring them along (as well as a copy of the bylaw where this article is mentioned) when you contest the fine. If you've been given permission, then I don't see what the city's trying to accomplish .

As for them coming onto your property and looking through your patio door, omg, I would have freaked. I can't understand how that's legal without a warrant of some kind and without the presence of the police.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:11 AM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Helen, I would think that is totally illegal,,trespassing, peeping in windows, taking pictures?

What is that blue cover? Did they have to move that to take pics too? Do u have legal aid there cause if u do I'd go see a lawyer.

I'm really sorry this is happening to you. You do such good things for the poor dogs you rescue.
The blue cover is like a small Tempo.. to keep the snow/ice build-up away from the door so I can or we can get out.. the drifts on the deck can get quite high when it storms.. Safety.. No they did not move it it is bolted to the deck.. or it would blow away.
I'm going to get the local newspaper involved this time as well..

http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/ Blog

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=322077912703&ref=ts
Facebook
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

You might want to contact Janet 514 928.1573 kikodogrescue@live.com she's taking this city to court for the same thing your going through.
Old February 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Helen,OMG,I cannot believe the city would do this to you and the rescue-pups.
I don't know the By-Laws,but I know anyone entering my property,be it cable,gas-company or anyone else first knock at my door,of course if we are not home,they have a right to go in the backyard(I think).
Sneaking pictures of the inside of your house,must be illegal..

Something is very wrong here

A few years ago,I took pictures of a poor old Beagle,freezing outside 24/7,sent it to HS and they took action,but this poor dog was in the frontyard,clearly visible to everyone.
I sincerely hope this gets cleared up,that the city will leave good citizens be and go after some real law-breakers.
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the others that this does not sound legal - especially the taking pictures inside of your house part. I would put up a no trespassing sign (although it's kind of after the fact for this event, but for future events). I would also call Legal Aid or at least someone maybe from the local University Law society or something who could give you some direction. Look up the by-laws on line and see if you can find the section on having dogs from out of jurisdiction. Then it would come down to the city having to prove you had those other dogs for more than six weeks would it not?? It's just wrong all over it truly. Can you lock that gate?? Or would it impede the utility people who legitimately have to get access??
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:26 PM
Skylar's Farm

First thing I would do is put a lock on that gate. I don't like to take chances with anybody opening a gate and letting a dog out in error.
Hydro, Bell, etc. can all phone first or knock on the front door away from the dogs.
In both Hudson and St. Lazare I encountered pissy neighbours...But when I lived in Rigaud I actually had good "doggy" neighbours: one side had a Weimaraner and my other side had a GSD. We all had minimum 1 acre lots with good fencing, so no problems at all.
Good Luck with this. You deserve a break.
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM
-

helen don't know if you misunderstood Tundra's question about the blue cover..looking at the two pictures, the man did pull the tarp corner back to be able to see in the door. I would be inclined to call the police and show them the photographs. Looking up laws, these workers trespassed and committed invasion of privacy. If you inform the police now least that happens is there is a record on file, best sinario charges are laid against the two workers.
Old February 24th, 2010, 03:17 PM

This is just so offensive that they would put you through this.

I thought I also saw that they had to pull the tarp away in order to take pics of the inside of your house. If that is not illegal, I don't know what is.

I'm with the others about protecting yourself by putting up a sign.

If only they were as responsive on calls about <puppy mills<

Good luck
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:13 AM

I'm so sorry that you are going thru this. It is frustrating and scary. I also have 4 dogs of my own and often have a foster or 2 or 3. Our gates are locked and nobody can get into our back yard without a key. If they are that ballsy to climb the fence then I think they deserve a good ass kickin. And that would probably be from my husband.... I would be angry too if I were you. keep us posted on this. I certainly think that if your dogs are not causing any problems in the neighbourhood they should not be coming around. We are very careful but sometimes it just takes one ass hole neighbour that calls it in. You might want to consider if you have someone in your area that is doing this to you.
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Helen,OMG,I cannot believe the city would do this to you and the rescue-pups.
I don't know the By-Laws,but I know anyone entering my property,be it cable,gas-company or anyone else first knock at my door,of course if we are not home,they have a right to go in the backyard(I think).
Sneaking pictures of the inside of your house,must be illegal..

Something is very wrong here

A few years ago,I took pictures of a poor old Beagle,freezing outside 24/7,sent it to HS and they took action,but this poor dog was in the frontyard,clearly visible to everyone.
I sincerely hope this gets cleared up,that the city will leave good citizens be and go after some real law-breakers.
I'm not sure how illegal this was. I'm thinking they may have rang the bell (while you were washing your hair) in response to a neighbour's complaint (maybe barking?) seeing you've already been ticketed for too many dogs I'm almost sure legally they are now allowed to get proof as to whether or not your over the limit again. 2nd offence = $200 each for a total of $1400 means you have 7 over the legal limit? Here in LaSalle AC officers can and will seize anything over 2 on the spot with the help of a police officer.

I'm not saying their not A$$holes but they are city employees. I've been on candid camera just for allowing my dogs paw on green space therefore couldn't fight the multiple tickets I received I tried filing harrassement against my AC and the police wouldn't even take my complaint, it's crazy

The thing with animal control they do not like to be showed up because their job is selling or pts'g lost or surrended animals while others like the OP are trying to save them so they target with the help of neighbours to anyone doing this, so corrupt

Last edited by Golden Girls; February 25th, 2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old February 25th, 2010, 08:50 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddingartist View Post
If only they were as responsive on calls about <puppy mills<
No kidding
Old February 25th, 2010, 10:43 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
I'm not sure how illegal this was. I'm thinking they may have rang the bell (while you were washing your hair) in response to a neighbour's complaint (maybe barking?) seeing you've already been ticketed for too many dogs I'm almost sure legally they are now allowed to get proof as to whether or not your over the limit again. 2nd offence = $200 each for a total of $1400 means you have 7 over the legal limit? Here in LaSalle AC officers can and will seize anything over 2 on the spot with the help of a police officer.

I'm not saying their not A$$holes but they are city employees. I've been on candid camera just for allowing my dogs paw on green space therefore couldn't fight the multiple tickets I received I tried filing harrassement against my AC and the police wouldn't even take my complaint, it's crazy

The thing with animal control they do not like to be showed up because their job is selling or pts'g lost or surrended animals while others like the OP are trying to save them so they target with the help of neighbours to anyone doing this, so corrupt
the fact helen got off of the first fine due to the fact they are fosters not her own private pets, then the original charges shouldn't even be on record, if they are then the fact the case was dismissed would also be on file, so this wouldn;t be the second offense thus they still have no right to trespass or peek in her windows. now me being me, they would have gotten some pretty interesting photo's. i'm not shy and i would have walked right up to the door nude and i would have opened the door.
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:02 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
the fact helen got off of the first fine due to the fact they are fosters not her own private pets, then the original charges shouldn't even be on record, if they are then the fact the case was dismissed would also be on file, so this wouldn;t be the second offense thus they still have no right to trespass or peek in her windows. now me being me, they would have gotten some pretty interesting photo's. i'm not shy and i would have walked right up to the door nude and i would have opened the door.
Unfortunately she did not get off and was fined $428.00

As posted Kiko Rescue who also lives in this same burrough has obtained a lawyer as she too keeps getting harrassed by the same Animal Control Officers, maybe they can help each other regarding over the limit verses foster dogs
Old February 25th, 2010, 11:20 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenNutmeg View Post
now the last time I went to court the judge told me that in the bylaw I could have a dog who was licensed elsewhere here for up to 6 weeks.. these dogs were licensed.. and were going into foster on that weekend as both had just been through surgery..
Helen
BHRQ
this is what i read, i don't see where she got a fine, i did see her mention the other woman later on in the thread.
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM
-

Quote:
i'm not shy and i would have walked right up to the door nude and i would have opened the door.
and then scream : RAPE !! RAPE !!

that would get them off the property
Old February 25th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Mona_b seems to know a lot about the law, perhaps PM her .

Even if they ring the doorbell and nobody is home, I still don't think that gives them the right to look into windows or take pictures without a warrant. Police could use that defense all the time to peek into windows and take pictures. "We rang the doorbell and nobody came to the door, guess you didn't hear it, or your bell is broken" . However, I am not a lawyer

If they were on the street and taking pictures through the window, I think that is legal (visible to the public). They can also come up to your front door and ring the doorbell and if there is a window on the door, they can look through that. However, because they had to move the tarp out of the way, I really believe what they have done is illegal and you should consult a lawyer.

However, the exception would be if it is believed to be an emergency in the home.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)