Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old January 5th, 2015, 09:55 PM

My intro and some questions.

Hi,

My name is sagas7 .... a username I randomly use for multiple sites.

I did have a cat but as told by one of my other threads I had to do a medical surrender of her to the toronto humane society.

I would post her pics up if you guys want though I'm a little emotional right now

If the cat does make it I might get her back.

One of the questions I did have was if I dont get my kitty back how do I overcome it?

I know for sure that I cannot live alone without a cat I need a cat with me.

Should I get a cat with a similar look as my previous cat? I mean I dont think any cat will use the litter or do anything even remotely similar to my cat so I am kind of lost on that and the thought of getting another cat never came to me.

Will a new cat ever fill the void left by my current cat?
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I think a new cat will help fill some of the void , it might be better to get a cat the does not look like the other one. This way you will not comparing it your last cat . My last dog was a black standard poodle and the dog I have now is a mini white poodle mix . He looks nothing like my last dog so I don't expect to act the same and he doesn't. I hope you'll be able to get your cat back .
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome to the site sagas7...sorry you had to surrender your pet. Although there are several reasons people have to surrender their pets I have to question why you would want to get another if you financially cannot afford the care and upkeep?? I am not trying to be harsh but rather trying to look out for the next potential pet you obtain??

I fully understand the need to have a pet in your life for company , love etc but perhaps you could get that type of fix by working with animals maybe volunteering? or volunteering to be a foster home? sometimes the group you foster with can cover some of the expenses while the animal is in your care, the DOWN side to this is that you would have to be able to surrender the animal if a potential home is found??

Like I said I am not trying to be harsh and heck who am I to tell you that you shouldn't have a pet BUT you have to think of the animals first???

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:46 AM

I had to do a medical surrender after my cat swollowed a foreign object.

Here's a more detailed explanation http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=86230

I'm gonna have to make sure my cat never had a chance Of eating something like that again.

We just couldn't afford 3000+ for surgery.

The most we could afford was 400 for x Rays.

But will def get pet insurance.

Still hoping I get my cat back

I wish I could have done something to prevent this.
I recognize what your saying and will def make sure it never happens again.
Old January 6th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sagas7 just keep in mind that Pet Insurance can be costly and it does NOT cover a lot of things that are fairly normal with animals.

Also you could adopt a kitty that is fine right now but lets say perhaps in a couple of years it develops an illness other than an obstruction what will you do then? There are many things that are reasonable in cost but no pet is perfect and we cannot predict the future. Maybe waiting until your finances are just a bit better for you to be able to plan in case of an emergency. I know a lot of folks that sock money aside JUST IN CASE......you just never know.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 6th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagas7 View Post
I had to do a medical surrender after my cat swollowed a foreign object.

Here's a more detailed explanation http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=86230

I'm gonna have to make sure my cat never had a chance Of eating something like that again.

We just couldn't afford 3000+ for surgery.

The most we could afford was 400 for x Rays.

But will def get pet insurance.

Still hoping I get my cat back

I wish I could have done something to prevent this.
I recognize what your saying and will def make sure it never happens again.
I heard of a lot pets that swallowed a foreign object and their owners did not have to da a medical surrender , if pets owners had to this the shelters would be over flowing with dogs and cats.
Old January 8th, 2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I heard of a lot pets that swallowed a foreign object and their owners did not have to da a medical surrender , if pets owners had to this the shelters would be over flowing with dogs and cats.
Yeah true.

But in my case the doctor said that it was serious.

Now 4 days have passed and still no call

Has anyone dealt with such a situation before?

Do they return the cat if they think your good?
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagas7 View Post
Yeah true.

But in my case the doctor said that it was serious.

Now 4 days have passed and still no call

Has anyone dealt with such a situation before?

Do they return the cat if they think your good?
Maybe it also b/c the shelter feel you can't afford to care for the cat. I never had his happen . When I got my dog from a shelter he was sick and the shelter paid $600 in vet bills b/c they did not want me to bring my dog back.
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Maybe it also b/c the shelter feel you can't afford to care for the cat. I never had his happen . When I got my dog from a shelter he was sick and the shelter paid $600 in vet bills b/c they did not want me to bring my dog back.
The vet at the humane society said that could see that we loved the cat she that we seemed like good owners. They said they would put in a good word for us (the doctor and management have final say).

I love my cat so much

I don't know what I'm gonna do if I don't see her again. M

I treated her like a kitten and made sure everything was safe. Gave her good food but then my mom let her out of her room while leaving the house. Then she had to eat the shoe.
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:47 PM

I got my cat back today.

Had to pay 500 bucks.

Will post pics later

So Happy

Would also like advice on how to not let this happen again.

here is her pic
http://i.imgur.com/X2NKLIt.jpg

Last edited by sagas7; January 10th, 2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old January 11th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

wow that was a lot of money. She is a beautiful cat. I guess you will have cat poof your whole house and if you have any plants you need to see if they're toxic to pets. Cats love to chew on plants leaves . Keep all your shoes in your closets and keep the closets doors closes , cats love to sleep in the strangest places so made sure you have no boxes that had anything toxic in them . That is great news !

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...our_house.html