Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 30th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Amish Puppy Mills

I'd like to RANT about Amish Puppy Mills!! We have 3 foster dogs from the Schindler Puppy Mill in Mexico, Missouri. They made it to freedom last Tuesday and we picked them up from our Rescue Group on Thursday!!! They were labeled Number 9, Number 10 and Number 11. They are now Monty Hall, Angus and Logan. Three little Westie boys!!! They were 2 days in transport with a wonderful lady who gave of her time. For them this will be the 3rd night of life in a real home. They have 3 totally different personalities. They are all very traumatized after spending years in deplorable conditions.

How can we as people not pick up a staff and do whatever we can to help abolish places like this?

I'm terribly worried about the fate of all of those fortunate dogs that wound up in the auctions. Makes me sick to think about them going back into the hands of more Amish or Menonite Mill operators!

Does anyone else feel strongly about this? I'm SO angry that we as a society allow this injustice to continue!
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:22 PM
-

Thank you for fostering three of these unfortunate souls.

I'm pretty sure most of us here feel the same way that you do. Yes, the Amish states are among the worst but it also happens everywhere. We can only help to support organizations like this to get the word out .....

http://www.nopuppymillscanada.ca/links.htm

http://www.shutdownpuppymills.com/

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/puppy_mills/
Old October 30th, 2010, 11:55 PM

Thanks for the reply and the sites. I'm on these sites! I know it exists elsewhere also. I adopted a breeding female who was in one of the worst Amish Puppy Mills in Ontario.

I just find that people would rather turn their heads than help raise awareness. I'm tired of comments like.."You can't save them all".. or "I'm sorry that video is too disturbing.. I can't watch it...." or worse.. "sorry.. I don't care"....

I just want people to wake up .. admit the cruelty... boycot Pet Stores who sell puppies.. boycot Amish Furniture... adopt from a Rescue...

I'd assume people on this site would be against Puppy Mills! One of the descriptions of this thread is "RANTS" .. so I'm ranting.....
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Between the protests at the auctions and the effort to get a decent anti-puppymill law in the state, my county has seen a great reduction in the number of puppymill farms. Sometimes it just takes one person to get the ball rolling. Search 'em out and start the protests... Most puppymillers don't want the attention...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 2nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Oh I am with you on this.
They are truely everywhere too, this area as well is full of them.
More to the west of us but while working there I see some of the worst. Sadly enough, get around the towns of Massey/Iron Bridge ect there are lots and its a dead zone for SPCA (which I have my beefs with as well)
Its not just their dogs either, think of their mode of transportation. There was recently some very high winds coming off of Lake Huron, so bad that on my way home I had to pull my car over several times because A) I couldnt see a darn thing and B) my lil sports car is not very good on wet roads.
While i was pulled over checking out Facebook to kill some time while waiting I was passed by a buggy team.
2 horses just trotting through the storm pulling the buggy along.
I'm sorry, I am not at all against working animals in any way so long as they are fairly treated but seeing that made my blood boil.
It can be the hottest day of the year with the poorest air quality and you will still see those poor horses running the sides of the highway just foaming wet.
They for the most part treat and view dogs as livestock, there is no compassion towards the animals or real care taken of them.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM

Yes, I think the recent protests and the auction in Mexico MO last weekend helped raise awareness and luckily in Missouri the people did the right thing and voted Yes to Prop B last night - which will bring in stricter regulations and laws in Missouri!!
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:09 PM

Yes I was reading a blog about an Amish girl who left their community and she was discussing horrific conditions in Puppy Mills. She also commented about how inhumane their horses were treated. Forced to work till they drop!! Deplorable!! and... like you say... you in your warm, dry sports car would even so.. choose to pull over and let the storm pass. The poor horse plods on.. exhausted!

Besides our foster dogs from Missouri, I also have an adopted female who was a breeding dog here in an Amish Puppy Mill in Ontario. It wasn't until I got her that I knew of Amish & Menonite Puppy Mills and that they are responsible for 80% of Puppy Mills here in Ontario. THe more research I do.. the more horrified I am. I just don't understand how people who claim to be god fearing and a people who just want to live "simply" by the land would need SO much money! I guess in the pursuit of more land at any cost!!! What these poor animals go through at the hands of these people is deplorable.

We need to ban the sale of Puppies in our Pet Stores here!! (I'm in Ontario, Canada) Is anyone aware of any reputable breeder who would use a Pet Store to sell their puppies??

Anyways.. it's a sad, sad situation. Most people I talk to don't believe it. Just try Googling "Amish Puppy Mills"