Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks everybody, just keep those posts coming as they are helping us with our grief and also giving us my information and many suggestions in which direction to go.
Old September 6th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Hi Garyb

I'm so sorry to read about your loss. I know how heart wrenching it is.

I thought I'd tell you about my little dogs... for ideas for breed.

First, I have a Westie-Poo. West Highland White Terrier x Toy Poodle. He is THE best friend EVER!!! He will be 2 at the end of November and is just about the best all round smart, funny, good natured.. and the best cuddler of all times. He loves to walk but also gets a lot of exercise around the house playing fetch or just clowning around. I got him as a puppy and I agree with all who have advised you to check out rescues.

Second, I have a Rescue that I just adopted last January. She is 3 now. She is either a Westie-Cairn called a Cairland or she is a Glen of Imaal x (I just sent for a DNA kit to find out what she is... out of curiosity and to understand her better ) Some might say that a Rescue is already socialized... and in commenting toward that .. I have to 'beg to differ'.. Our Rescue is the most sweet loving little girl that I could want... but she is still adjusting and I've been told it would probably take about a year for her full personality to come out. It is SO rewarding to adopt a Rescue dog.. but don't be fooled that there is less of a time commitment involved. I don't work (due to an accident) so I am home for her full time.... and she so needed all that time. She was easy to train for 'going' outside.. but we are working on things like 'trust' .. well working is not the right word.. more like showering her with love. She's like velcro to me... if I got up from my laptop right now and went upstairs.. I'd feel her little wet nose on the side of my leg with every step.

If I ever add to my favorite friends family it will be with another Rescue. .. and I love the Westie Mixes Good Luck with your choices!!
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Hi RobinH,
thanks for all the info. My wife is not sure she would like too adopr from a rescue as she had a very bad experience with a rescue around 12 years ago and it almost caused us not to get another dog.
Right now we have made small (?) list of potentials. It includes Havanese, Norfolk Terrier, Louchen, Coton De Tulear, and Bolognese. They seem to be the right disposition and from waht we've read seem fairly healthy. Whatever we choose it won't be until next spring at the earliest. so keep those suggestions, thoughts and ideas coming. and we do appreciate everybody's kind words.
Thank you so very much and it is helping us get through this terrible tragedy.
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
Hi RobinH,
thanks for all the info. My wife is not sure she would like too adopr from a rescue as she had a very bad experience with a rescue around 12 years ago and it almost caused us not to get another dog.
Right now we have made small (?) list of potentials. It includes Havanese, Norfolk Terrier, Louchen, Coton De Tulear, and Bolognese. They seem to be the right disposition and from waht we've read seem fairly healthy. Whatever we choose it won't be until next spring at the earliest. so keep those suggestions, thoughts and ideas coming. and we do appreciate everybody's kind words.
Thank you so very much and it is helping us get through this terrible tragedy.
It is very sad that a negative incident would set the presidence. Like anywhere else, there are good places and others that are questionable. If you contact these rescues or at the very least read up on them, you will be assured that they are sound. Don't let one bad experience 12 years ago, taint your wanting to rescue an animal in dire need to be loved and cherished once again. A rescue animal will give you oodles of love and devotion. I say the very same for animals that are sitting in shelters that need that special someone to give them that second chance at life.

Please remember this as we in rescue see so many worthy loving animals at the end of the deadly needle or worse...the gas chamber...it just is not right.
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:11 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
It is very sad that a negative incident would set the presidence. Like anywhere else, there are good places and others that are questionable. If you contact these rescues or at the very least read up on them, you will be assured that they are sound. Don't let one bad experience 12 years ago, taint your wanting to rescue an animal in dire need to be loved and cherished once again. A rescue animal will give you oodles of love and devotion. I say the very same for animals that are sitting in shelters that need that special someone to give them that second chance at life.

Please remember this as we in rescue see so many worthy loving animals at the end of the deadly needle or worse...the gas chamber...it just is not right.
Very well put newly engaged woman!!
One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. Hmmm, that's a song title, isn't it? Seriously garyb, please don't shut out rescues. Sometimes they are the last hope for dogs (and cats) who deserve their forever home.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM

Please don't get the wrong idea. We have not ruled out shelters and rescues by any means. I just wanted you to be aware that we had a bad experience that's all. Once the time comes, we will decide on our newest family member by the type of dog available for us to love and spoil and not necessarily the place to get one.
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Please don't get the wrong idea. We have not ruled out shelters and rescues by any means. I just wanted you to be aware that we had a bad experience that's all. Once the time comes, we will decide on our newest family member by the type of dog available for us to love and spoil and not necessarily the place to get one.
We have all had bad experiences with something or other in a lifetime, but it should not hinder 'trying it again' but with more experience under our belts. Heck, I have had bad experiences with bad animal owners and I keep working to try and educate and/or provide assistance to re-home. The animals depend on us to not give up on them because of people who are ignorant. They (the animals) should not pay that price.

Just my
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks, like the saying goes "I needed that"!
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, like the saying goes "I needed that"!
Thank you for taking it the right way..
Old September 7th, 2010, 10:40 AM

No problem, my friend. That's what we are here for, to add support, information and knowledge to others.
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:25 AM

Meet Walle

Any of you who have been following this thread know about our concerns about a new dog. Well at first it was "we would wait until next spring or summer" and "we didn't want to adopt".
Well, everyone meet Walle, a 9 month old 10.16 pound Shiz Tzu Maltese crossbreed (referred to by many names but we will use MalShi as it is the easiest to pronounce. He had been originally purchased by a women living in Toronto, from a breeder in Quebec (thus the strange spelling of the name. It is pronounced Wally). She purchased him for her daughter (kids never do look after their pets, do they) but found that there was not enough time for him so he spent at least 12 hours a day in a cage. The women contacted Adopt-A-Life Save A Dog who put him in with a foster mom who was a dog walker. I saw him on line and he seemed to be saying "come get me". So we filled out the papers, saw him last Tuesday and brought him home on Friday. He was taken to the vet on Saturday, just to be sure and she was amazed how healthy and well adjusted he was. He is a bouncy, bubbly ball of white fluff who hasn't sat still since he got here.
Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know our happy ending.
Attached Images

Old October 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That is wonderful news!!! Now you can post many many pictures of Walle in our photography forum. He is beautiful.
No matter what his mixes are he is a very handsome dude!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 31st, 2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks, we are looking forward to many years of happiness with Walle
Old October 31st, 2010, 11:01 AM
Doggie Wench

Congratulations to both your family and Walle, Gary!
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:28 AM

Thanks and enjoying every minute. He is such an active little guy. And being from Quebec also, he barks bilingually

Last edited by garyb; November 1st, 2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh what a sweetie pie Congrats!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 1st, 2010, 03:17 PM
-

Walle is very cute .....so glad you found the right little pupper for you and your wife.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

awww Gary he is adorable!!! Congrats to u and your wife and Walie!! But u aren't going to tease us with just one pic are u?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
Catlover2

Walle, what a cute name for such a cutie patutie....he's adorable. I'm sure you'll have many happy years with him. Congratulations!