Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

no doubt you ahve a wonderful dog, but tell me this is a reputable breeder is a breeder who shows their dogs has the parentage of the dog on hand and all health concernes either ruled out or informed upfront and is breeding for the betterment of a recognised breed.

If not then you ahve in fact paid a hefty penny for a dog that is in fact a mutt like any other mixed breed dog.

I have a woderful mixed breed dog, but a spade is a spade he will never be pure bred, but i love him just the same.

people who doubt labradoddles as a breed arent doubting, they are knowing for a fact its not a recognised breed, doesnt make the dog good bad or indifferent.

I hope that your "breeder" was careful to rule out and heriditary or genetic problems with your pup,

all else i can say is enjoy your pup dogs mutt or otherwise are the most loving of lifelong companion.

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 25th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I must admit I to am intrigued by the labradoodle and have been reading up on them on the internet.I must admit thought I am a bit put off by the price 2500 where I live other purebred dogs are cheaper by far. It sounds like some can be great dogs with obvious proper training and still some end up in Shelters or in the paper. I am still researching the breed and possibly looking for a rescue doodle but so far haven't seen anything close to us. So now I am researching doodles, engish cocker spaniels and various shelter dogs unfortunatey those have all been to big or just not suitable for us.
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM
owned by Tucker

I don't know why people pay these prices for these crosses when they can be found in local shelters. Some of these dogs cost more than buying a purebred from a breeder, the same as people buying pruebreds in pet stores they can be bought cheeper from the breeder and you know where the dog came from. Just my pennies worth.
Old April 25th, 2005, 05:39 PM
banned user

The labradoodle is not a recognized as a pure breed, most people know this, everyone on this website does.

Does anyone know the steps that it takes to 'create' a new breed, to get it recognized as a pure breed?
My grade 7 teacher was a breeder of 15 inch beagles, he explained to us that you can create your own breed. I can't remember all the details(grade 7 was 11 yrs ago), I do recall that there has to be 5 generations, before it is considered a breed, and then the process to get it recongized takes a very long time. There are breeds we have talked about on these boards, that we recognize as breeds, that are not recognized by the CKC (Catahoula Lepard Dog, Jack Russell Terrier wasn't recognized till this year, but under the name of Parson Russel Terrier)

I'm not saying, hey lets all go out and make our own breed of dog, but unfortuantely, labradoodle might be one that sticks around if anyone tries to get it recognized.
We make dogs of our own liking all the time, its not agreat practise, and the guidelines should be stricter, but it does happen.

So the breeders, they may be reputable, attempting to create a new pure breed.
Just my thoughts
Old April 25th, 2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safyre
So the breeders, they may be reputable, attempting to create a new pure breed.
See, I have a very hard time believing that these breeders are looking to create a new breed. Maybe a very small percentage started out with their hearts in the right place. But I firmly believe 99.99% of them are in it solely for the money. This is not a new trend - these mixes have been around for a very long time. If they were truly trying to introduce a new breed, wouldn't we have heard some news on the subject by now? Instead, all we hear about is how much they cost - far more than a pet quality pup from a truly reputable breeder, and certainly far more than any other comparably loveable mutt.

Researchbulls said this about Labradoodles: "It sounds like some can be great dogs with obvious proper training and still some end up in Shelters or in the paper." Well, the same can be said of every other dog on this planet, regardless of pedigree (or lack thereof). There is no one breed or mix that is exempt from winding up in a shelter or in the paper. There is no one breed or mix that is guaranteed to be the pet of your dreams. There is no one breed or mix that is completely non-shedding or that does not inflame every person's allergies. By all means, if this is truly the mix you have your heart set on for whatever reason, then please research everything about them thoroughly (and please do not rely solely on the information from breeders). And, for the love of your potential pup, please adopt one from a shelter, even if that takes longer than you expect.
Old April 25th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

We had this debate awhile back (just search and it will pop up). Labradoodles are mutts no matter how you cut it. Cute mutts mind you but they are not recognized by the CKC or any other registry so given that a reputable breeder is one who breeds to advance the breed - after being in the biz or hobby (It is a work of love for most since they sure do noit ma e $$$ at it) - of showing dogs, the fact that one could never show a labradoodle means it may come from purebred dogs but like any two purebred breeds who have a puppy, it does not aualify as a real breed.

I think the unfortunate thing - other than these poor dogs, many of whom are now being left in rescues b/c they are not hypoallergenic as promised or have the best of both breeds (They also have the defects given that anyone who breeds these dogs, even the well intentioned, is a backyard breeder) - is that people are being taken for their hard earned money! It is all so sad more than anything.
Old April 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Personal servant to Joey

re:getting a puppy

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/rev...xspaniels.html

I am not sure if this applies to this thread or not but I found it to be a great site. There is a whole section on what to look for when picking a puppy from a breeder and what to stay away from. There is quite a few different links to check out.
Old April 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM
banned user

Writing4Fun - Hey I don't think that they are truly trying to create a breed either, they are making money hand over fist (thats the saying, right? sleepy)

Other breeds have been formed the same way, there are 'designer breeds' that we recognaize right now, soo... I'm jsut saying, doubt most, doubt all, but there MIGHT be someone truly trying to make it a breed.
as for, whether or not we woulda heard about it already... why would we? is there a news release everytime someone tries to register a new breed? i dunno how we would know.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:13 PM

Well, I just thought that this is such a heated topic on a pet lover's forum, surely someone somewhere would have heard the news and passed it on by now.

And yes, "hand over fist" is right.

I do wonder, though, about how other breeds came into existence and became recognized? Is it because it wasn't an issue "back then" when there weren't 50 bazillion homeless animals to contend with? Is it because it was clearly for the betterment of the breed in terms of it's purpose in life (ex. to make a hound taller to be better able to hunt in tall grass? - I dunno, it's just an example) as opposed to being done purely for mankind's own stupid, selfish reasons? Now you got me curious, Safyre!
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Have no fear,Mona is here........

If I hear anything I would definately let you know.I go to many of CKC meetings.And we do discuss registration in breeds.I did bring this up at a meeting quite some time ago.And so far it was a big NO to having this breed registered.This is not a purebred dog.Yes the parents are purebred,Lab and Poodle.But that's it.Labradoodles are just mutts....Cute one though...
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:21 PM
banned user

Sorry about making ya curious there Writing4Fun
I loved my grade 7 teacher, he taught us all about dogs, dog shows, how to care for them.It was great. he's the one that started my love of dogs.
Someone asked him how breeds came about, and he explained why some of the breeds were made (Beagles for example) and then explained that some people make thier own breed, to make a dog suited to thier liking, or thier need.
Breeds that annoy me: Miniture Dashaund ... what, they weren't small enough to begin with?!? Toy American Eskimo Dog (as well as the Miniture American Eskimo Dog) why did someone miniturize them!?!? Same with the poodle breeds. lol
Sometimes, yes, it seems we are making breeds only because they 'look good'.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:25 PM
banned user

Mona - maybe you can answer then, how does someone go about making a breed? I'm not asking because I want to make a breed, but curiosity,could you at least point me in the right direction for the info?

I mean, all breeds are mutts at some point. My dog, NSDT Retriever was what, a retriever, setter spaniel and maybe even a collie at first?! Every dog is a mutt at some point! NSDT Retreiver is now a pure breed though, so what steps had to be taken to get it from mutt, to breed?
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Did you hear the new dog??? Whoodles, the soft coated wheaton terrier and the poodle. Apparently this is the new hit with the millers and you will see them being advertised. There is already some being advertised in the spectator. I was looking at a site today and they cross everything with a poodle, even weims and dobes, its sick. Just to make a profit.
Old April 25th, 2005, 10:53 PM

Here is the site i was looking at. Poodle Crosses

The worst ones in my opinion being the English Boodle, Boxerdoodle, Saint Berdoodle and the Weimardoodle
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

It takes many years to make a breed.Your breed is not used for retrieving like Labs are.They were used for what is called Tolling.They were actually bred to entice the game to approach within firing range.Which in english terms means the dog is luring the game out close enough for the hunters to shoot.And did you know that they were originally called the Little River Duck Dog?.....

These differend breeds were bred for a purpose.Yes they were mutts at first.But it took a very long time to perfect the certain breed for the work they wanted..And many of these breeds came around in the 1800's.

Did any of this make sense?...Sorry if it didn't...I guess I'm just a tad tied...Better hit the hay.3:30am comes early..........And this site is just to ADDICTIVE..............LOL
Old April 25th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Personal servant to Joey

How about a Chinese crested pit bull

http://www.fuglydog.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=86

Found this on another site. I am sure he must be a wonderful dog!!! I don't know if I would pay a 1000 bucks for him though!!
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:06 AM
banned user

Mona - I know the history of Tollers well, they were also once called Yarmouth Retriever. In my post I was just listing what dogs possibly contributed to the modern day NSDT Retriever. Sorry if it was a bit confusing.

I actually had someone from Nova Scotia call my dog a little river duck dog when we were walking in a local park one day, i thought it was adorable.

I waited three years before getting Justice, the entire time learning about the breed. I actually want to breed them later on in life. My breeder's new bitch was born on April 6th, and if she ends up showing, i'll be getting a pup from her in 2-3 years. lol so no breeding for me anytime soon. i gotta learn much more before breeding.
Anyways, my point was just that, all dogs were mutts at some point, untill soemnoe paid enough attention to the breeding to make them pure and registered.
I don't support the labrdoodle and all those stupid breeds, I was just trying to point out that someone, somehere MIGHT be doing it for the love of the dogs. I
Most are doing it for the love of the money, completely agree with everyone on that.
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:10 AM
banned user

researchbulls - that was a bit disturbing
i'd like to think that all dogs are cute but... that one seriously tests that theory!
Old April 26th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I think he is cute in his own way. He could be a poster dog to spay and neuter your pets.
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll take one Daisy Dog and one Cockapoo. My God, thatsite is deplorable - the oe with all the poos!! As for the other site, I do think their sphynx kitties are cute!
Old April 26th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I mean, how could you not love a face like this?http://www.defuzzld.com/images/3wkcalico.jpg

They appear to have a breedng program - integrating domestic short hairs with their sphynxes - to round out their own program I guess but I have not looked at all the pix.

and his coated litter mate - also very cute,
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/3wkscoatedgirl.jpg

and an earlier pict of a dliute litter mate:
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/5wksDilute.jpg

Two cute brothers:
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/Copy_..._boys_5wks.jpg

2nd generation sypynx and coated:
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/Pixie2.jpg

and this is my fav!
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/Cuddling_Bucky.jpg

Gosh, I hope they rescued this one!!!
http://www.defuzzld.com/images/MVC-905F.JPG

(Some sphynx breeding progs will adopt kitties from the pound for their breeding program - and as much as I am not a big fan if breeding , if done by a reputable breeder to broaden their own gene pool and it saves the life of a cat on death row, it can't be all bad. BUT they have to know what they are doing! I just hope this is one now living in splendor, not squalor in their program!)

I may write to know!

Last edited by CyberKitten; April 26th, 2005 at 01:54 AM.
Old April 26th, 2005, 02:13 PM
owned by Tucker

Speaking of CKC and reconized breeds, look at the border collie how many years have they been around and the CKC doesn't reconize them, so how long will it take for them to reconize these "new breeds"?
Old April 26th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Personal servant to Joey

http://forum.canadianparents.ca/ubbt...&view=&sb=5&o=

I posted this website as a new thread but there is some feedback here on Labradoodles as well.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM

a labro-what??!?!?!?! Try the pound. They have tons of mutts there and the people that work there actually care about the dogs' wellbeing!
Old May 9th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

If someone wants a mixed breed and doesn't want to be a fool and pay 1000$ for it there are LOTS for adoption. The price is the ONLY thing that differentiates these mongrels from a million others in shelters across the continent.

Here's a dumped "Labradoodle" needing a home.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...0&tmpl=&stat=A
Attached Images

Old June 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM

Question Questions about Mutts-labradoodles

So I get it that the general concensus is that no one is really "for" these labradoodles. So maybe I can get some input.
My husband has allergies, but is a huge dog lover, spent his childhood itching from a beloved Lhasa and a Shiztzu.
We are looking for a family dog.
Bischon, while everyone here seems to love them are a too little and prissy. Portuguese Water Dogs, very nice, very pricey, very big.
Poodles, well, are poodles. Wheatons, very nice, but very terrier. My husband is frankly a Lab kind of guy, labs have a great temperment, mellow with age, loving, active but not hyper. we would go to the pound in a second, and refuse to go to pet stores, but without holding up the dog and petting it for 5 minutes to see if it makes him itch, and then coming back the next day to try another one isn't really a practical way to get a dog. These doodles, could be a good alternative to the usual purebred route. We aren't interested in a designer dog, just one that doesn't make him itch, and one that the boys can take to the park without getting beat up for having a chick dog.
I agree that these people are charging an awful lot of money for a mutt, but with specific requirements in a dog what is one to do? I at least want to get one from a breeder and not a BYB or puppymill or a pet store. Heck I'll rescue one, as long as it doesn't make him itch.
Any suggestions?
Old June 18th, 2005, 10:25 PM
banned user

If your husband is a lab kinda guy i'm surprised he doesn't like the Portugeuse Water Dogs! Sorting, good size.. anyways..
There is no hypo allergenic dogs, however there are low dander dogs, these dogs are Basenji -- Bedlington Terrier -- Irish Water Spaniel -- Kerry Blue Terrier -- Maltese - Portuguese Water Dog -- Schnauzers -- Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Labradoodles are not garunteed not to make him itch though, thats the thing. it depends on the genetics, which dog had the more dominant genes. I think the mutt thing can be a bit hard to get right.
I would look into all breeds possible, go to breeders to see if the dog makes him itch or not.
Old June 18th, 2005, 11:11 PM

You seem to be making generalizations about a lot of breeds. I wouldn't write any particular breed off because of some stereotype. I, for example, had three bichons growing up and not one was "prissy"...in fact, i would describe them much in the same way you described labs. That being said, there are plenty of labradoodles in shelters. Take a look at petfinder.com and go from there.
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:14 PM

If you are referring to Swissridge Kennels in Little Britain, who breed Bernese Mountain Dogs and Goldenpoos, then I can speak for that kennel. One of my best friends owns a Berner from Swissridge, and at almost one year old, he is a wonderful specimen of his breed. I was not aware that they breed Labradoodles, but have researched their Goldenpoos (own a purebred golden myself), and was quite impressed. I know I will be dissed for this, but all breeds (pretty well) were mixed at one point. I have had nothing but pure bred dogs for 40 years, but sometimes wonder if we are too biased. Just my opinion.
Old June 19th, 2005, 07:07 PM
banned user

The picture of the above dog that Lucky Rescue posted was seized from a puppymill this spring in southwestern Ontario. I rehabilitated that dog "Oscar", and I can tell you that he came from a horrific place. Thank you for posting that Lucky.

I cannot talk about the names of breeders or kennels, but to the original poster ....I want you to tell your friend if she is considering purchasing the labradoodle you talked about, ask the owner of the kennel, to show her the "kennels". Ask to see every building on the property. If there are areas that have a closed door, ask to see the dogs in there. If the owner will not let you see every area of the property, or in all buildings, say "thanks but no thanks" and leave.

Last edited by Ford; December 27th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.