Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 10th, 2005, 07:50 PM

Question Bulldog boxer cross

I had heard through the grape vine that they were thinking of actually recognizing this breed of dog. I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything. Also does anyone out there own one of these dogs that could give me tips or let me know any concerns you have with the breed that I may be unaware off. Thankyou so much.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:57 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Did you check out the breed profiles on this website for a Boxer and a Bulldog? They list health concerns for these breeds near the bottom of the profile. I's worth checking out! (It does say Boxers are very high energy and bouncy!!!)
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Nope.This will not be a recognized breed.At least not with the CKC.
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:42 PM

Cool Did a search

Well, I did a search, and found that English bulldogs crossed with Boxers were referred to as Valley Bulldogs witch is a recgonized breed with the ioeba, so how do I know if my dog is a Valley Bulldog, I mean she is English Bulldog crossed with a boxer. I found lots of information on it temperment, health problems,grooming, origin and so on and so forth, but I want more, in-depth. I want to know everything about it. If anyone owns a Valley Bulldog, please let me know.
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a pic of your dog?

The Valley Bulldog is more of a "designer" breed.
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:22 PM

Cool valley bulldog

I don't have one with me right now because I am at work, but I will place one on here as soon as I learn how to do it. What do you mean by designer breed? Is that bad? The ioeba also wants a pic of Olivia so they can tell me how to proceed. (I geuss with registering her.)
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have to pay to register her?
And, why would you?
http://www.ioeba.net/
Any one can set up a "registry" for registering mutts...but what is the point, really?
A "designer breed" is some sort of mutt that along the way, people think is cool, rare, worth money, whatever. Kind of like pet rocks or Beanie Babies, except with feelings. Sometimes they catch on and people make money for a while & then the fad goes away. Most of the time, thank goodness, they don't catch on.
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you ever heard of a Labradoodle,Pekeapoo,Schnoodle?

Well these are designer breeds.These are 2 pure bred dogs bred together.All in all they are mutts.

Yes purebred dogs originated by mixing certain breeds.But they are considered Purebreds.

And to be honest,these breeds came around MANY MANY years ago.Like the Olde English Bulldogge.This breed has been around since the 17th century.As for the Valley Bulldog,no one know much about it really.No one knows when it originated.

There is a member on here who owns an English Bulldog.I'm sure she would know more about the Valley Bulldog.And the Valley Bulldog does look simular to the Valley Bulldog.

Here is a pick of the Valley Bulldog.
Attached Images

Old January 11th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a pic of the Olde English Bulldogge.
Attached Images

Old January 11th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I was just about to post that link Carina...LOL
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Senior Contributor

A couple of years ago some enterprising "breeders" tried coming up with yet another designer breed - Aireweilers? Or something. Breeding Rottweilers and Airedales. Thankfully, it never caught on.

BullboxLover - please don't take this the wrong way! I'm sure your dog is beautiful...those are two really neat breeds. But allowing one to do the wild thang with another doesn't suddenly create some exotic new "breed" no matter how slick that "registry" website looks. (I don't actually think it looks slick at all.)

Heck even ACK registered doesn't mean anything at all, and AKC has been in existence since the 1880s. There is nothing even special about "AKC registered, even though many people think it means something. It doesn't. There's a whole lot of meaningless "registries" like ioeba, they are nothing but a money making scam.
Spend the $20.00 on something worthwhile, please don't support this nonsense, it's just some yahoo in Texas trying to make a few bucks!
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/valley-bulldog.html

This is a link with a lot of info on valley bulldogs. Honestly I would not waste my money registering your dog. If you are not a breeder or showing your dog donate the money to a rescue for bulldogs at least it will be put to good use instead of lining someone elses pockets. These dogs are very sweet and I almost did a rescue for one but convinced the owner to try some one on one training. Which he did do and phoned to thank me for suggesting it he says he takes Travis with him everywhere now since he is so well behaved. From what I have noted is most of them come from Nova Scotia.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Talking All the info was great.

Thankyou everyone for all your care and concern as well as all the information, it's not so much that I want to register my Olivia, there's no point really, she's just a family dog. I just want to know everything that I can about my dog, and if she could be a Valley Bulldog, which from the pictures and other info she sounds like she could be one, then I can find other owners and get more info on there needs and training and such and so forth. You know what I mean, I just love my dog so much, I want to know it all.
Old January 14th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I know exactly what you mean!

Have you searched Yahoogroups for bulldog groups? I did a quick search, there's lots, some seem quite active. Like this one:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bulldogfriends/
(Hint. If you search yahoogroups, don't just search on "bulldogs" because you will bring up about 850,000 groups for various high school football teams. Search bulldogs health or bulldogs dogs or something like that.)

I did look quickly through the forums at ioeba site...seemed like a lot of backyard breeders, hobby breeders, and people bragging about how big their dogs were.
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Just accept her for the 2 breeds that she is...

Since she is a mix of 2 breeds,just do a search on them.Learn the traits of both breeds.And please don't worry if she's a Valley Bulldog or not.She is your furbaby that you love and care for...
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:34 AM
owned by Tucker

I think a cross is a cross, you get something from both the breeds. My last dog was Bernese mountain dog crossed with German shepherd. None of the pups from his litter ( there was nine of them) looked alike so there is no breed standard and as for temperment I'd say he was a little of both breeds. So when crossing breeds you might as well but all the standards for both breeds in a paper bag, shake and see what you get. That what makes them original.
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:25 PM

Exclamation Thanks guys for everything

She is an amazing animal, no matter what she is. :love: She is happy and loving, always right there when someone is crying wanting to know why, and licking up the tears. She is eager to please, as I have now found out with her potty training that is going so well- thanks to you guys once more.
She does this thing about once a night where she sets herself up an obstacle course in the house and runs it 2 or 3 times at full tilt, she looks like a small tank that is going really fast and then trying to stop quickley as she realizes she no longer fits as easily under the coffee table. All you can do is stand back, watch and laugh ,oh, and stay out of her way, she will take you down. She's not very big, but she weights a tonne!! Thankyou for the pictures of the other valley bulldogs, she does look quite alot like them ... only twice as cute.
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Always remember when she is running like a mad dog keep your knees bent it helps to save you from flying to the ground trust me on this one
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you posted any photos of her?
There is an American Bulldog at Cooper's doggie daycare...her name is Denali and she is adorable. Very wiggly and happy, stout as a Mack truck, a very sweet, pretty dog!
Old January 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM

hey bullboxlover,

I have a boxer bulldog mix also. they are great dogs with a very good temperment. I have never had a dog with a temperment as good as hers.

maybe we can send each other pictures of are dogs. i would really like to see what yours looks like.

let me know.

Frank

Last edited by White Wolf; January 21st, 2006 at 02:48 AM. Reason: no email addresses as per rules.
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Beigh

Valley Bulls

Hey all I have a Valley Bulldog.... the true breed is from Nova Scotia in the Annapolis Valley... They are great dogs, the orginal breed was a blend of English bulldogs and boxers to improve the health issue from both breeds. Valley Bulls are taller and in better physical shape than the english bull and breed to be more of a work dog than the boxer.

I love mine ... She's a ball of energy and very loving. They are great with kids, although as puppy's they do try to show dominance with smaller kids (pushing them over- then licking them).

Here are a couple of the better photos out there... Mine is a Brindle..

Old July 11th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I found the IOEBA website and found pictures of the valley dogs

cute puppies

http://members5.boardhost.com/IOEBA/msg/1152590293.html

I am not sure if you can register without some kind of documentations that proves parentage that can be traced back to a purebred registered boxer and bulldog,
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM

I own a Valley Bull. She is what you'd call a first generation Valley Bull. Her Mom was a Boxer (purebred with papers) and her Dad was the English Bull (from Russia, with the biggest shoulders I've ever seen on a dog of any size). As far as it being a "designer" dog, it is, but there are "pure bred" Valley Bulls. I say "Pure Bred" in quotes because the Kennel clubs won't recognize the breed. I don't really care if my dog is an imbred dog or not. The cross breeding eliminates alot of health issues. They really range in looks from a boxer look to a english bull look. They are one of the closer breeds to the Olde English Bulldog but not quite perfect. Mine looks a little more Boxer but she's shorter and more muscular. We're considering breeding her with something normal like a purebred English Bull. You should just enjoy your dog and don't worry about what people think. We have all sorts of people tell us how beautiful our dog is and how wonderful her personality is.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:29 AM

I hate to take this thread off topic, or even comment on it since it is an old thread, but I have to play a bit of devil's advocate here.

jekyl_1, please reconsider before breeding your dog. Just because your pup is beautiful and has a wonderful personality, does not mean that she should be bred. I'm sure your babe is a lovely gal, but please reconsider. There are many, many pups without homes that are PTS every day, simply because their owner thought that the parents would produce cute pups.

This is a very pro S/N board, you will find many articles and threads on here why you might want to think twice before breeding your bitch. I won't go into a lengthy explanation, but again please reconsider. There is alot of time, energy, and careful planning and thought put into a breeding by reputable breeders. Especially, with a bulldog from which I understand require considerable vet attention and care when the birthing process begins.

The fact that you don't care if your dog is inbred or not concerns me. Reputable breeders put considerable time and care into the genetics of their mating bitches and studs to ensure that the genetics are A+.

Also, I am not sure where you heard that crossbreeding eliminates alot of health issues. I think this is a fairly old myth that does not stand up any longer. You know what does eliminate alot of health issues... reputable breeders who put the time and money into having their breeding stock tested for hips, eyes, etc. etc.

My

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old May 9th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyl_1 View Post
The cross breeding eliminates alot of health issues.
This is a total myth. Unless the Valley bulldog 'breeders' are actually tracking breedings, lineage, parentage, health testing prior to breeding it doesn't matter who you breed to who, it's a total crap shoot as you have zero control over what genes the pups get especially in a 50/50 first generation breeding such as your dog was.

IF the Valley bulldog was a breed you wouldn't be breeding first generations any longer and there would be established lines, pedigrees and health history.

I am sorry you have a mutt and the dog is not a breed regardless of a club not recognizing it as there is no way for the dog to be 'pure'.

As for cross breeds being healthier, again total crap shoot. My friends mutt just passed at 5 from cancer. My purebred dog just passed at 18. Reputable breeders do their best to prevent health issues in their lines, mutt breeders rely on myths.