Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with you Sandi.

My sisters BC (RIP Abbey 05.29.08) came from both Conformation and Working title lines.You CAN have the best of both worlds.And it doesn't ruin the breed at all.Being on a farm with cattle,my sister was looking for a working dog to help.Abbey was amazing and she was a hard worker..Even to the end she wanted to work.She was 12 when she passed on.But when the work was done,she enjoyed the time playing with her sibblings.3 Sibes,and being with the family.

Now I have raised GSD's.All 3 have came from the same breeder.My breeder not only did confomation,but also SchH.They were titled in both.Only one of my three were working dogs.With my other two I didn't have to give them a job,I didn't have to keep them "busy".My current is a retired Police Dog.This breed wasn't bred for the force,they were trained for it.Tron knew when it was time to work,but he also knew that when he was home,it was play time.

Like you Sandi,I know many breeders who do both with their breeds.

Quote:
eccentricities (barkers, diggers, chewers, good off leash or around other animals)
See to me this comes from the training.You don't correct this when it starts,it will not end.I hear so many times about Sibes digging,and can't be off leash.Yet my sister has 3,they are on a farm,not tied up when outside,never dug.2 are 11 and one is 12.She had them as pups.It took constent training.

Look at these dog actors.The Sibes on Snow Dog and Due South(canadian)I know Paul from the show.I have seen and been around the dogs used on Due South.The same breeder of these dogs also had one of her dogs on Snow Dogs.They can be trained off leash.The proof is in the Movies and shows.