Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM

Gsp vs rr

Hey all,

I'm planning for a puppy and am stuck on picking a breed. I have narrowed down my choices to two breeds. The German Shorthaired Pointer(GSP) and the Rhodesian Ridgeback(RR).

Things I know, both dogs maybe the GSP more needs good exercise everyday. I am very active and like the outdoors. My house backs onto a field that they have full access to on a daily basis. I also like to bike and hike.

The next point, is I understand they are both big dogs, in the case the RR a true "large" sized dog, weighing 100+lbs all the time. I'm 6'8" and the rest of my family is tall as well. So were cool with bigger things.

I just fell love with both breeds instantly. I've been going back and forth for months now on which one is right for me. I honestly think that the RR is the dog I really want but I feel like the GSP meets more of my requirements. the RR, I love their look. I think the shedding is less then the GSP, they are normally requiring less exercise then the GSP and I like that they are a bit stubborn and independent. The RR sounds very similar to myself, which makes me feel like were a good fit. But...... I do also love the look of the GSP, I also like the size, slightly less then the RR at around 70-85lbs on average, which sounds about right for me. I dont hunt, and I know they like to work so I'm hoping to get him/her trained to mountain bike with me instead. I think the thing that most appeals to me about the GSP is their ability to be better with kids, pets and strangers. My sisters dog is terrible with all 3 of those areas. So I am going to make dam sure my dog doesnt have that problem. I guess with proper socialization and training either breed could produce a dog that is good in all those areas, but from my research it comes more natural to the GSP? And I have read and spoke with breeders of the GSP who say they are great companions and all they want to do is be around you. And after a good day of exercise would love nothing more then to sit with you on the couch and chill out, watch some tv with you.

I guess my overall goal of my dog would be to have an athletic dog that is very friendly with other people and animals that adores me and wants to be with me all the time. And I feel this tips in favor of the GSP, as the RR can be not as good with kids, strangers and or other animals/pets.

One hard thing about choosing a breed is getting advice from owners, everyone things their breed is the best breed of all. And naturally so, thats what makes it so hard for me to decide. Anyone who owns either a GSP or the RR both clam that they are the best dog around. So is it one of those, there is no bad choice things?

Thoughts, suggestions and opinions welcome. Is there anything else to consider about either breed?

Thanks
Greg