Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Killer Bees??

I obviously don't have any Hummers,but these Bees love the sweet stuff.
I've never seen them before,they are almost all black,except some white on the head and white stripes on their end-part+a really long stinger.

They seem to be quiet aggressive,when I am near they go for my face,maybe they think I need improvement..LOL
Anybody know what kind of Bees they are???
Attached Images

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

chico.... be very careful

Those are Hornets, and they're super aggressive, especially if there's a "home" nearby. They can sting more than once and hurt like hell
I know from experience

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I found a link for you to check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

On here, it says it's the only Hornet in North America, but wouldn't be considered a Hornet by European standards?
Either way, it's got a nasty sting!! I leaaned back on one in my car years ago and it got me in the small of my back. I couldn't wear anything around my waist for days
It hurt/burned all the way from the small of my back through to my tummy. And it was only one! I couldn't imagine if a nest attacked you!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:58 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They do have a nasty sting, but they're only aggressive near the nest. They're paper nest builders, so if you can locate the nest and avoid that area, you likely won't get nailed.

I got nailed twice walking out to the mailbox before I finally looked up. D'oh--the nest was in a branch overhanging the driveway...

My neighbor gave me this tip, and it works really well: For any sting, remove the stinger if necessary, then cut an onion and put the juicy surface against the sting. Something in the onion juice neutralizes the venom. The earlier you can get the juice on the bite, the better, but even if you delay, it'll take away some of the pain.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup, that's a hornet alright. Poor bee's get a very bad rap! As well as the onion that Hazel recommends, we use parsley on bee stings (rub it on the sting area once the stinger is removed). I've also heard you can use a penny or a banana peel, but only have experience with onion and parsley. We have a large parsley plant near the bee hives just to be on the safe side. If you can locate the hornet nest you can have it removed by professionals or you can try using the commercial sprays - just be sure you read the instructions very carefully. I recently had to spray out a wasp next and I bought a foaming spray that worked well. I have 400,000 bee's in my yard and go figure Halo gets stung by a wasp!!
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
They do have a nasty sting, but they're only aggressive near the nest.

Or if you're oblivious and sit/lean back on one

My neighbor gave me this tip, and it works really well: For any sting, remove the stinger if necessary, then cut an onion and put the juicy surface against the sting.
Wish I had known that then!! It was days before I could stand anything around my waist. I don't think I've ever been bit/stung by anything even remotely as painful.

Old July 27th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, well thunder thighs here got stung by a bee between my legs earlier this year. On the inner thigh. I was working the hives and had extended one leg way forward for leverage in lifting a hive box and when I stood back up straight I squished one between my legs. I couldn't strip down then and there and remove the stinger and apply my parsley, so it did sting for a while in a very tender area! I'm a little more careful now! Hornets and such do hurt a lot more though, I've been stung by a hornet before too and it was awful.
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you everyone!
We removed the Hummer-Feeders,very carefully and we have checked everywhere for a nest,under the deck,in the trees,under the eaves,but have found nothing,so hopefully we are ok..
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Yeah, well thunder thighs here got stung by a bee between my legs earlier this year. On the inner thigh. I was working the hives and had extended one leg way forward for leverage in lifting a hive box and when I stood back up straight I squished one between my legs. I couldn't strip down then and there and remove the stinger and apply my parsley, so it did sting for a while in a very tender area! I'm a little more careful now! Hornets and such do hurt a lot more though, I've been stung by a hornet before too and it was awful.
DD, that's awful!!!
I couldn't even imagine, that's such a tender spot... you poor thing

I will have to try the onion/parsley "if" it ever happens again!

Old July 27th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure how far hornets travel for food, but bee's will go up to 3 1/2 kilometres from the hive to find a food source, so your hive may in fact be nowhere near your feeder.
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh Wow! I've had these guys in my oriole grape jelly feeder too Chico2! We had a terrible rain storm on Monday and when I came home from work, there was a container full of the black and white hornets swimming in what was then, grape juice!

I've never seen them before as well and thought they looked different. Heard about the onion but will also have to keep the parsley plant within arms reach.

Great thread!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM

FYI, if you rub antiperspirant (not deodorant) on a bee sting as soon as it happens it will take the sting out much faster!

I've been stung by those hornets many times...they are probably the most painful of the stings I ever got. We had lots of that type in the Okanagan where I grew up.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old July 28th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Slave to the Kitties

Chico, 'killer bees' as they call them , are just large honey bees. There isnt much difference between them and a regular honey bee, except there larger and more aggressive. But i agree , bees get a bad wrap because, yellow jackets, hornets, and wasps are not bees. There called wasps. There meat eaters. I have been stung by a hornet, but for some reason yellow jackets get me. It starts out like a regular sting, hurts , itches. But then i will get muscle pain in that area for months. I only get that with yellow jackets. I used to love it when i was working at a greenhouse, watering walking down flower bays with hundreds of honey bees going about there business on the flowers, they didnt care i was there. I miss that.
Old July 28th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes Edwina, honeybee's are generally very gentle creatures. Also a note, many hornets and wasps have their nests in the ground so that could be why you're not seeing the nest.