Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 14th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I am allowed to flippen RANT due to this season

You know, I and others are allowed to rant this moving season for the following reasons:

1. This year is one of the worst years I have seen for cats. Litters started early this year and the shelters are completely full of queens, mothers nursing, babies without moms to continue to build their immune system, kittens by the handful, lots of moves where 'no animals are allowed', too much trouble, too costly, too old, too young, too many..... husband does not want, new borns....children starting to crawl...

2. Huskies are starting to be abandoned due to one stupid person and their actions or there lack of. People are ignorant and ill informed and panic. Unbelievable.

3. Dogs that are no longer wanted. Left tied to fences, left in appartments, left in dog parks, abandoned at high kill pounds or shelters. Dogs never treated for broken bones due to cars...too costly to fix. Dogs with bad behaviour as the owners did absolutely nothing to teach them. Dogs from millers, no longer profitable.

People in animal rescue and shelters have had our share of burdeon. The normal person with compassion shares the same feelings of discouragement, dismay, bewilderment, and frustration.

For anyone that is considering to get rid of their pets, please look for an alternative...let's say, keep your committment. You have the right to own a pet, the animal has no rights whatsoever but rely on you for a safe loving home. Do your upmost to keep your pets, and if you cannot then be responsible and find someone who can help you.

It's enough already. Do what is right. If you cannot under circumstances keep your pet: re-home or get the right people to help you find a home for your pet. The death of these animals is too much for others to bare. It is the saddest thing to watch loving, worthy animals die every darn day because our society says it is ok to turn your back. It is not.

That is my rant. Another weekend transporting animals out, another weekend of evaluating broken dogs, another weekend of trying my best to save that one cat where there are 1000000 others looking back at me because I cannot. It's enough.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:35 PM

Good advice and a very worthy rant.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:40 PM

That is my rant. Another weekend transporting animals out, another weekend of evaluating broken dogs, another weekend of trying my best to save that one cat where there are 1000000 others looking back at me because I cannot. It's enough.

this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for all you do.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:41 PM

I have a question - what are "queens?" sorry

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl View Post

this brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for all you do.
Thank you for listening. Thank you for being compassionate. Thank you for crying for all those that wait for death because we as a society have failed.

Queens are pregnant cats.
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:47 PM
-

Yes BM , you are allowed to rant
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM

BM rant away...you do amazing work

Last edited by SIL; June 14th, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You, my friend, are the last person who needs to ask permission to rant. You live, eat, breathe rescue. It's most likely the first thing you think of when you awake. Probably the last you think of before drifting off to sleep.
I wish there were a million more yous. Then the problem wouldn't be as hard to bear. Thank you for all you do. Thank you for those you save.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIL View Post
BM rant away...do you amazing work
No SIL - WE all do the work. It goes far beyond rescue or shelter workers. I do not look for recognition, I get it from the animals when one is saved. I do it for them as most of us do.

Pets people are wonderful and I am to believe that you and others here are not of the norm.

I am saying thank you to all the great people at pets, that actually live up to their commitments. Thank dawg I have met some like minded people or else I personally would have lost my mind a long time ago.

I am ranting due to some ignorances.
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't bring myself to read some of the threads posted of people leaving their pets, dropping them off, looking for homes or about pets being abused.

It's sickening. Some people make uninformed decisions, they take in a dog or cat, and don't think in future terms. They don't think that they will need to see a vet now and then. They need food, they need to be brushed, trained, bathed, given attention. Once that becomes too much, it's very easy to just take them and leave them for someone else to deal with it.

I pray every day for whoever is watching over me to give me the means to help even one or two more cats and a few dogs.

You who work in rescue are truly brave in my opinion. I know I could not deal with what you all see and live with on a daily basis. I would be a blubbering mess constantly.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I have often wondered what if BREEDING was banned all together for let's say 5 years. All pets by law must be spayed/neutered. Would that help the homeless, could we find a decline in unwanted pets?
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I have often wondered what if BREEDING was banned all together for let's say 5 years. All pets by law must be spayed/neutered. Would that help the homeless, could we find a decline in unwanted pets?
Great question and point. Any ethical breeder would take back their own dogs. Not many that come into rescue anyways.

Breeding with millers or BYB's - you bet it would make a difference.

Mandatory spay and neuter would definately help the situation. Making people accountable would also help. But the biggest help would people being responsible and doing what is right.
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, you and the others on here who are so totally involved with rescue work have my undying respect and gratitude. I know that we can't all do that, but hopefully each of us in our own way are able to enlighten others with information about spay/neuter, proper care, proper feeding, obligations, etc. You give so much to these animals because their owners give so little, there will be a very very special place for you in heaven my friend. And it will be full of furry friends waiting to greet you again.

Out in my city right now they are debating about mandatory spaying/neutering of rabbits before they can be sold. As you know, people buy them when they're cute and then turn them out into the parks when they get tired of them. Wouldn't it be great if the same laws were considered for cats and dogs. Society has made it far too easy for people to be irresponsible. Somebody else (like you) will step up to the plate and save these animals so it's okay if I (not literally me) dump this creature. It's just too sad.
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Ben-Max,my heart breaks for you,for the tragedies you have to deal with on a daily basis.
All the forgotten,the abused and neglected animals you have been able to rescue and given a better life,is more than any other person can accomplish in a lifetime,you have a heart of gold.
I am sure,the anger,frustration and hopeless sadness you must feel for those you cannot save,keeps you awake at night
I don't know what the solution is to this terrible over-population of unwanted cats/dogs,the shelters even here,are filled,now what??
There will always be more callous people getting pets,the cute little kitten or puppy,only to betray this animals trust as they mature and dump them,it baffles me that people can care so little.
You know,that all of us here love you and all the good things you have accomplished,so rant all you want,we understand
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM

Thank You

Thank you BenMax, and to all of us on here who help homeless animals in some way or another.

Whether that is making a monetary donation to a local rescue every Christmas, or as involved as fostering and rescuing dogs in your own home. Heavens, those who have their pets sterilized certainly deserve credit for not contributing to the pet over-population, and recognizing that there is a problem and not wanting to contribute to it.

I, too, am so glad I found pets and have met others who are passionate about the same issues I am. It warms my heart to know that there are others out there who are doing their part (above and beyond) to help save innocent animals.

I find it incredibly hard to work in rescue, and it really has opened my eyes to the severity of the pet over-population. I leave some Thursday nights with tears in my eyes. Fortunately, seeing one dog or cat go to their forever home makes it all worth it for all the ignorant, cruel, disgusting tragedies I deal with all night of the same old BS: no time, moving, having a baby, etc. etc.

As a society we have failed millions of dogs and cats worldwide, but we are making a difference and there is hope. We have to believe there is hope.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You rant away, girl!!!!! After all that you do and see, you need an outlet and you know you can come here to do it!

Chico, very well said

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Doggie Wench

Old June 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Kitty pimp

rock on benmax anytime
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

...BenMax, I share in your pain, and I'm sad to hear that Husky's are now being dumped and abandoned because of the tragedy in Quebec.
Hugs to you BenMax, the animals you work with are blessed to have such an advocate!
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old June 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM

It is so disheartening to know there are such nasty people in this world, who couldn't care less about the welfare of animals. But then there are people like you BenMax, who make the world a better place for them.

Thank you and all the others who devote their time to making this world a better place for all the unwanted, abused, precious animals.

It's sad to know that after all this time, all the talk about spaying and neutering your pets, still falls on deaf ears. That an animal is not just an animal, but a family member. That an animal is not a part time commitment, but a life time commitment. People STILL don't get it and until they do BenMax, you have every right to rant.
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Continuation of last weeks rant.

Shelters, pounds and now even rescues are filled. I cannot even squeeze in one more dog nor cat. 15 dogs and 2 cats saved last week. How pathetic is that????

More dogs and cats coming in. Where the HECK is HUMANITY? Where?

This year it has been stated that it is the WORST year ever.

To anyone reading that is considering another pet, please go to your closest pound or shelter. Adopt a pet and save a life. There is absolute truth to that statement. Absolute.
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:52 PM

Quebec/Montreal is one of the worst areas for abandoning pets this time of year. Having "moving day" set across the city as July 1st lots of people moving into places and having their pets rejected. Although great pet owners will try to find pet friendly places they are exceedingly hard to find within Montreal especially. People with pets who have a safe dwelling just don't move very often because it is too stressful. I know I would have liked to move but now that we have Leo its essentially out of the question.
That coupled with all the people here who don't fix their pets and purposefully/unintentionally let them breed makings for a death-camp in Montreal area for pets this time of year.
Old June 21st, 2010, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
Quebec/Montreal is one of the worst areas.
That coupled with all the people here who don't fix their pets and purposefully/unintentionally let them breed makings for a death-camp in Montreal area for pets this time of year.
Amen to that. Sadly.
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:04 PM

I was asked just 2 days ago by a couple with another doxie if Leo was fixed because they wanted their standard female to have puppies. Although it was flattering that they though my dog was a really good representation of the breed, I was annoyed at the same time that they were likely unaware that puppies in Montreal are bought fast and abandoned just as fast once moving day comes or cuteness factor runs out. Even Leo can attest to this behaviour as his original owners bought him and dumped him at the SPCA after only a month.
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
I was asked just 2 days ago by a couple with another doxie if Leo was fixed because they wanted their standard female to have puppies.
Oh lordy - with the frame of mind I am in right now, I don't know how polite I would have been.
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
-

Yep , July 1 is coming
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what can I say,nothing,I am just very sorry for all these animals and people like you Ben-Max,who see the misery in these animals eyes every day
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:53 PM

Rant away. Keeping your feelings bottled up inside won't help. It might lead you to punch one of those losers who abandon their pets.

Jenny, the one I grew up with
Shani, the one who brought me the greatest joy
Casimir, who left far too soon
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:59 PM

Benmax, your first post on this thread is exactly how I feel! My poor sister has to hear me rant everyday!!! It IS the worst year I have ever seen - everyday day we received at least 30 calls for people wanting to abandon their cats or stray cats on their property. We feel helpless because we cannot help these animals so we tell them to please go to their vet to have them put to sleep. I want even start to talk about the calls and emails for dogs!!!

And then on top of all this, I hear of some people very close to me purposely breeding their dogs: this, by far, has to be the worst I have to deal with. If these people don't get it, who will?????????

Please, everyone, just stop bringing more dogs and cats into this world! Even if you think yours is the cutest and smartest animal around, other people don't share this thought!