Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Never so happy to be at the vet's

Well, my three cats are spending the night at the vet's. Nothing wrong, they're just having their teeth cleaned tomorrow and I couldn't drop them off then without being really late for work.

It's a good thing though. We are in the middle of a heatwave with 40-50 % humidity, so it's 40 celsius out here. The vet has air conditioning, so the cats will be comfy for the night at least.

On top of that, the last time I tried to drop them off, it turned out the equipment was out of order, so they couldn't do the job. I don't have a car, so I have to take a cab to go to the vet's.

Last time I dropped off the cats, went home, got a phone call, went back to the vet's and brought the cats back home. 60 $ cab fare for nothing!

The vet was really gracious though and offered a 30% discount on all three cats' dental work. That more than covers my cab fare! I guess he doesn't want to lose a steady customer... who always says that money is no object when it comes to her babies wellfare...

A funny thing too: the vet's mascot, Kathmandu the cat, tried to flirt with my girls. They brushed him off rather harshly. And he's a gorgeous siberian fellow too! Those big soulfull blue eyes.

Jenny, the one I grew up with
Shani, the one who brought me the greatest joy
Casimir, who left far too soon
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Hi Bluedrake ... I couldn't help notice that you are from Gatineau. I am in Gatineau as well. Was wondering where your vet was and if you would recommend him. I will be getting my new puppy at the end of July so I will need a good, trustworthy vet for his shots as well as his grooming.
Thank you
Julie
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They're gonna want to stay till the heat breaks, Bluedrake! Air conditioning, the finest accommodations and a fan club (Kathmandu)...who could ask for more!

Nice of the vet to give you the discount on the cleaning, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsis261279 View Post
Hi Bluedrake ... I couldn't help notice that you are from Gatineau. I am in Gatineau as well. Was wondering where your vet was and if you would recommend him. I will be getting my new puppy at the end of July so I will need a good, trustworthy vet for his shots as well as his grooming.
Thank you
Julie
The Hopital vétérinaire du Plateau is at 147 boulevard d'Europe, in the Hull sector. You take boulevard Saint-Raymond , then Chemin Pink, Boulevard d'Europe is on the left, the first building is the veterinary hospital.

There are two vets there: Doctor Gilbert and Doctor Richard. They're both good, but I prefer doctor Gilbert because she trusts my judgement for what's best for my cats. She recommends stuff if you ask her, but otherwise trusts you to do what's best.

Doctor Richard is a little pushy and condescending, especially about pet food, but he knows his stuff when it comes to diseases and injuries. He really loves animals too.

I would definetely recommend the hospital. Insist on getting doctor Gilbert. I really like her attitude better. You can tell her that Chinook, Erin and Mimi's mom sent you.

Client service is top notch too. They sent me a card when my cat Casimir died. It was a nice gesture.

Old July 5th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up

Wow ... A very nice thing to do to send a card under the circumstances (our sympathies for your dear cat) Will definately call them and ask for her. I do need a vet for puppies first shots a regular visits as well as grooming and tips for this breed (never had a big dog before) and I am generally new to the area so I dont know all that many people as well. But again Thank you so very much for the address.
Regards
Julie
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Wow ... A very nice thing to do to send a card under the circumstances (our sympathies for your dear cat) Will definately call them and ask for her. I do need a vet for puppies first shots a regular visits as well as grooming and tips for this breed (never had a big dog before) and I am generally new to the area so I dont know all that many people as well. But again Thank you so very much for the address.
Regards
Julie
Yes, they are nice there. Here's the phone number: 819-775-9958

Old July 5th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Thank you. I'll give them a call before the weeks end to find out when I should bring him in for his check up and shots
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Bluedrake, how hot does it get there? 40C is bad, so hard to keep animals cool, but how many days would you get like that in Summer and does it climb higher? Worst we've had here was 47C, Black Saturday, the day of horrendous bushfires that claimed 173 lives from memory, and caused an untold number of animal deaths. I had a nice healthy pine at the front gate and the north side was burnt brown just by the hot wind. It may not survive.
Your cats at least get a reprieve, lucky things.
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Bluedrake, how hot does it get there? 40C is bad, so hard to keep animals cool, but how many days would you get like that in Summer and does it climb higher? Worst we've had here was 47C, Black Saturday, the day of horrendous bushfires that claimed 173 lives from memory, and caused an untold number of animal deaths. I had a nice healthy pine at the front gate and the north side was burnt brown just by the hot wind. It may not survive.
Your cats at least get a reprieve, lucky things.
Here in Ontario we get the heat/humidity waves like that too...had one back in May and having another now. This week the temperatures in my area are supposed to be in the high 20's to low 30's but feel like high 30's to low 40's with the humidity. I can't take it, makes me physically ill, headaches, nausea, dizzy, fatigued, hard to breathe (like something is sitting on my chest) etc. I go out early to get chores done and run the dogs around the fields, when the sun is still low and hidden behind the trees. The dogs jump into the horse troughs to cool off and into their own kiddie pool in the back yard. The ones that work with me in town also swim in the river there. Then we all chill for the rest of the day inside in the a/c or in the basement and also spend a lot of time napping in the hot weather. I wait until the sun is going down to go back out and do evening chores and let the dogs run again.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds just like us, Gail. Up with the sparrows to exercise the dogs, then again at dusk. Only toilet breaks in between. I can't take humid weather and would hate to live in Queensland, the dry heat down here means that 40C isn't that bad, anything around 45C does feel like you've stepped into an oven though. Makes me wonder why basements aren't the go here. They'd be much cooler than the rest of the house.
What makes me see red here , with our summer conditions, is greedy farmers who have stripped their paddocks of every tree so they can grow crops, then expect sheep to live on the stubble with no shade anywhere. I know from my own sheep that they really feel the heat, just like any other animal.
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:40 AM

Yeah, it can get pretty hot here in Gatineau, but this kind of heat is not usual. Hopefully it will break soon.

The weather is just wacky this summer. Last week it was really cold for summer, now it's really hot.

I don't have air conditionning, but I plan to leave my bath and sinks filled cold water and ice for the cats to cool in if they want to. I know Erin will, she loves water. Not too much water though, I don't want to risk having them drown.

Funny thing is that kind of humid weather doesn't really bother me. I kind of like it.

Old July 6th, 2010, 05:30 AM

Yes, today will be even hotter then yesterday. In Gatineau right now it is 23 but already feels like 32 and is supposed to climb all the way to 44. Am staying in the ac today thats for sure lol
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending for your kitties cleaning today!

Poor Kathmandu , wonder how he is taking the rejection

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Yes, today will be even hotter then yesterday. In Gatineau right now it is 23 but already feels like 32 and is supposed to climb all the way to 44. Am staying in the ac today thats for sure lol
Oh, you do have my sympathy. Stay safe everyone and hope the heat wave breaks soon. Right now it is -0.3C here , and was supposed to be a low of 0C. Could reach -2C or so perhaps. I must go cuddle up in my warm bed now, way past my bedtime.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Oh, you do have my sympathy. Stay safe everyone and hope the heat wave breaks soon. Right now it is -0.3C here , and was supposed to be a low of 0C. Could reach -2C or so perhaps. I must go cuddle up in my warm bed now, way past my bedtime.

Where do you live? I myself am a winter girl at heart, I hate the heat...expecially when it is this hot outside.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedrake View Post
The Hopital vétérinaire du Plateau is at 147 boulevard d'Europe, in the Hull sector. You take boulevard Saint-Raymond , then Chemin Pink, Boulevard d'Europe is on the left, the first building is the veterinary hospital.

There are two vets there: Doctor Gilbert and Doctor Richard. They're both good, but I prefer doctor Gilbert because she trusts my judgement for what's best for my cats. She recommends stuff if you ask her, but otherwise trusts you to do what's best.

Doctor Richard is a little pushy and condescending, especially about pet food, but he knows his stuff when it comes to diseases and injuries. He really loves animals too.

I would definetely recommend the hospital. Insist on getting doctor Gilbert. I really like her attitude better. You can tell her that Chinook, Erin and Mimi's mom sent you.

Client service is top notch too. They sent me a card when my cat Casimir died. It was a nice gesture.
Hey - that is where my daughter's Suki went. They were great.
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
Where do you live? I myself am a winter girl at heart, I hate the heat...expecially when it is this hot outside.
I live in Australia.
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Another scorcher today ... currently 26 but 36 with humidex and suppossed to be even hotter then yesterday up to a whopping 46 ... am "thisclose" to moving to the Yukon lol