Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
banned user

Help! We have a Thief!!

I hope someone can give me some advise on what to do with a year old Norwegian Elkhound that just steals whatever he can reach.
He won't do it when you are right with him but if you are not in a room he hauls everything from loaves of bread, margarine containers, coats, boots, hair brushes, telephone books whatever he can grab on to and takes it outside thru the dog door.
When you do catch him the act he knows he is bad..he will drop it and run.
Soon we won't have much left for him to take out..we have no mitts, hats, brushes.
Has anyone ever had this problem or can anyone offer some advise....
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Doggie Wench

Ahh, Ava is our food-and-whatever-is-on-the-counter/table thief. Lucky is our dirty laundry thief .

The only suggestion I have is to simply put everything out of reach . Can you limit his access to the whole house if you're unable to keep an eye on him? I'd rotate his toys as well so he doesn't quickly become bored of them and put them away right before he loses interest.
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:21 PM
banned user

It is kind of impossible to limit his access..pretty much an open concept..I keep the bedrooms off limits during the day now..toys..what toys they are pieces of cloth in the yard..he chews them up even the ones that say they are "sturdy". If they aren't in our yard the little terrier from next door comes thru the fence and steals them for his yard! Oh and did I mention this dog loves underwear!!! I have figured out I have to put the dirty laundry basket on a shelf to keep him out of the underwear!
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Doggie Wench

I bought one of those vintage laundry hampers at a 2nd hand shop that has a heavy lid so that Lucky couldn't get into it. You can also try a wooden toy box. Have you tried giving him a large raw bone to chew on? That ought to keep his mouth busy for a while. Or a frozen stuffed Kong (the black ones if he's a power chewer)? You can actually feed him all his meals out of it.

And then there's exercise. Chances are that if he's getting enough, he'll be happily dozing rather than looking for trouble to amuse himself with .
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
I hope someone can give me some advise on what to do with a year old Norwegian Elkhound that just steals whatever he can reach.
He won't do it when you are right with him but if you are not in a room he hauls everything from loaves of bread, margarine containers, coats, boots, hair brushes, telephone books whatever he can grab on to and takes it outside thru the dog door.
When you do catch him the act he knows he is bad..he will drop it and run.
Soon we won't have much left for him to take out..we have no mitts, hats, brushes.
Has anyone ever had this problem or can anyone offer some advise....
Post some pics first, then we will give advice

Seriously, don't have any doggie experience, just wanted to say hi and ask for pics.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM
banned user

Exercise isn't what he needs...they have 4 acres and they run all day..we have the invisible fence and with the other dogs they are in and out all day..just when he comes in he gets something and is gone with it! Bones are a problem because then they fight over whoever doesn't eat their's first but I do give them lots of raw bones...Kongs are another story...I have bought so many of them..and who knows where they are...I start him off in the house and then he takes off outside with them too. I have a large dog run that has access to a heated barn and I think he might be getting aquainted with it soon!
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
banned user

I have never posted a picture...not real good with computers but I will try!
Old December 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Our dogs will steal what they can reach as well, they're especially fond of gloves and DH's hats. We keep everything that might interest them out of reach. Have been doing that as long as we've had dogs, so it's second nature. Remotes, absolutely anything edible, kleenex, laundry, litter boxes. You get used to it, although once in a while you slip up and they run off with a good leather glove on you and the chase is on.

Cindy
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:06 PM
banned user

This is the first dog that has ever done this..nothing is sacred..he steals the toilet paper, klennex, and yes my remote got it last week! Ok so I guess just getting used to putting things up but oh so frustrating when you work from home...you look up a phone # go to look after something come back and your phone book is gone!
So glad to hear it isn't only Gunnar that does this...thought I had some kind of whack dog on my hands....and he isn't even mine..it is my son's dog that he brings to work with him and goes home without most nights.
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Has he always been this way?.Was he ever taught the "leave it" command?

Since you work at home,maybe cut down the freedom he has..You can tether him to you for a while. This way he won't wander and get into things..

You can also set him up....Have him on a leash,put a few things on the ground and see if he goes for them..If he does,give him the "leave it" command..He leaves it,praise him.
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:13 PM
banned user

I'm not sre you could tether this guy...he is as strong as a bull...it would be a fight...and yes if you tell him to leave it he will...like when you catch him he will leave it down.
Name:  Gunnar.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  93.1 KB

Name:  all3.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  39.4 KB
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Shirley...I don't have any advice for you but just wanted to say that your doggies look beautiful...so furry and cuddly
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, beautiful dogs, Shirley!

A year old, this thief? Brier just turned two and is exactly the same way. However, he recently moved on from his 'paper phase' (toilet paper, paper towels, newspaper, Puffs) and has moved to more solid stuff (sticks, plastic items, outdoor ice chunks). This is sort of a normal phase and we're hoping he grows out of it! It's getting better, so there's hope for Gunnar, too!

At least he doesn't chew the furniture (or does he? )!

Working on 'leave it' is an excellent idea, and 'drop'. Good luck. Maybe he and Brier can join Kleptomaniacs Anonymous together.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You have 3 dogs? I thought you only had one. They are beautiful

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 11th, 2008, 05:36 PM
banned user

Yes we have already started today with the leave it...and he did chew furniture..think we are past that one...just moveable items now!
And we have 4 dogs...but only 3 Elkhounds..one is a rescue we did last year..Jack a black shepherd/collie who has been an angel since the day we got himName:  dogs 003.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  90.1 KB
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, he looks like such a sweetie!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Is there a way u could muzzle him until he learns not to steal?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

What a handsome boy he is...

The only thing I think would help is the tethering...When you say you can't tether him,I take it he's a puller?

How are his commands?.Is he good with a "sit/stay" or "down/stay"

He really does need to be closer to you so he can be watched.

Some dogs outgrow things,some don't..

Some how you need to set him up. He needs to be caught in the act to be corrected.

As for the muzzle, there really is no need for one in this situarion...It's more about the training...
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:35 PM

we have a 5 yr old airedale who still steals things when he's in the mood. the only good thing is that he can't go outside with the stuff. if food is not far enough back on the counter he has taken it but shoes are his favorite they all land in the dining room.
Old December 11th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww WTG Shirley in posting the pics

They are beauties for sure