Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 12th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Unhappy Found and took in a stray and now Khailan is very angry

So yesterday I took in a stray male aproximately 5 month old black and white kitten. He is very thin and I had seen him around my neighborhood for about 4 days. Last night he slipped in the door with me when I came home so now he is staying with me temporarily. Since it was a last minute thing I didn't get a chance to prepare for the introduction of this new cat to my Cats Noel (female, fixed, 1 year old) and Khailan(male, fixed, also a year old).

I picked up the kitten and held him gently and let the Noel sniff him and get to know him. I pet both cats and talked in a smooth voice and they seemed to get along fine. Noel is perfectly happy having him around. However Khailan wouldn't go near him other than to sniff him from afar and growl. Now today he is completely ignoring and avoiding the kitten. However the problem is that he's very angry with me and my son now.

He won't let us near him. Hes growling and hissing and scratching and perminantly fluffed up. This is odd behaviour for him because he is usually the friendliest cat I have ever seen. I tried to snuggle him but he won't let me. I gave him treats but that didn't help. I am very afaid that I have destroyed my bond with him. I'm not paying any extra attention to the kitten and just trying to focus on Khailan so I don't know if it's jealousy or what.

The kitten is an unfixed male so maybe that's the problem? He is very very friendly with people and with Noel and he just stays away from Khailan. I feel very bad for the kitten because he is ver very thin and was very hungry when I brought him in. Unfortunately I only have one litter box which Khailan and Noel share with no problems so I'm wondering what to do as I have no money to buy a new litter box for a cat who will be leaving us to go to a new home soon.

I found someone who can take him on Monday but it will be a loooooong weekend if Khailan is still this angry all weekend. I don't know what to do!

And where I live it costs money to take cats to the spca so I can't do that either.

Any advice would be helpful!
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:49 PM
-

I would put the kitten in another room. This was too fast to introduce him to yours. You could take any container and use it as a litter box.

If this is impossible , I would put some baby powder on all the cats , so they'll all smell the same.
Old August 12th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Catlover2

Get a cardboard box and cut down the sides to 2" if you can find one that shallow. Line it with some wax paper or newspaper and put some litter on that. That will be fine for a temporary box.
Old August 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

All the advice is perfect but please keep the cat away from your 2 until you know it isnt carrying anything? Way too fast of an intro...the other thing you could do is if you have a room for the cat with a door that has a screen door or some type of opening so they can see each other for awhile and get used too each other.

Definately being un neautered is for sure an issue!

Anyone missing a cat? You may want to have a vet give him a quick scan...never know if they are microchipped or not? someone may be looking for him?

Good Luck and thank you so much for being so kind and taking him in!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:16 PM

Thank you very much everyone for the advice. I don't have another room to shut him in. My son is just a small toddler with a baby gate accross his door and I keep my door open during the night to hear him when he wakes up. The only other room in the apartment is a teeny tiny bathroom.It's so small that I would feel cruel shutting him in there.

However I will try and find something to use as a temporary litter box. I will also try and find something to disguise their smell. I don't have baby powder because it's bad for children to inhale it but maybe there is something else non toxic that I can use.

Also at this time I can't afford to take him to the vet to see if he's healthy. I posted an ad on kijiji saying that I found him and I posted pictures of him on kijiji and facebook in the hopes that someone will recognize him.

If no one claims him I have already found him a forever home that he can go to on monday where I know that he will be well cared for and the only animal so he will get tons of attention. This person can also afford to get him nuetered and all his shots so i feel comfortable giving him to this person.

Right now the cats aren't fighting at all and Khailan is much calmer so hopefully everything goes ok over the weekend.

I have also given him a name because I hate having to call him kitty. His name is Oreo.

I will keep everyone posted on what is happening
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If you have a plastic storage box you aren't using or an old plastic dish tub (you know, the kind you put in your sink to do dishes in) they would be perfect for a litter box. With normally two cats it's a good idea to have two boxes anyway.
Do your other cats sleep in your room? If not then the kitten could share your room for a few days. Or a large closet. Really, the kitten doesn't need much room to be happy if it's only temporary. Sounds like things are settling down. That's great! Cats tend to do lots of posturing and silliness for the first day or two.
If you would like to try something that makes them smell familiar you could try a dab of vanilla under their chins and on the base of their tails. They don't need much. Just a touch.
If you are interested in reading how to introduce cats there is a wonderful website. It's http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management. It's an interesting site to read even if you just want a good read.
Thank you for bringing the kitten in. You are his

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:36 PM

Thank you very much for the advice. I will keep looking for something. I don't really have anything to use as alitter box though so I think I will just make a trip to the dollar store tomorrow to buy something that will work temporarily. The only reason I only have one litter box is because when I had 2 they both just used the one. I don't really have much space in my apartment so I had to put one near the balcony door and one near the hall closet but they only used the one near the balcony so I just got rid of the other one. I can't find it anywhere so i think I threw it out by mistake Things are very quiet and settle now so that it will stay this way. Oreo seems healthy to me so far no fleas or worms that I can see. He is extremly thin though so I think maybe he had a home but wandered out and got lost or maybe someone abandoned him Also he knows how to use a litter box which makes me thing he had to be litter trained by someone right? But so far no one recognizes him I also have no vanilla lol but I am getting some groceries tomorrow and can pick some up. Attached is a very close up photo of Oreo.
Attached Images

Last edited by bskillings; August 12th, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:45 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I understand the small space thing. If they use one box willingly that's great! A lot of kitties get stubborn and won't share.
You should be able to find something that will work at the dollar store. They should have those dish tub things or something similar.
I would think Oreo has been dumped or let outside and wandered away. Once kitties get past that cutesy kitten stage a lot of people dump them or decide it's time they become "outdoor" cats.
Don't get the expensive vanilla when you are shopping. The cheap stuff works as well. Good luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 12th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Yes people do seem to let them outside or just dump them when they get bigger. I have actually heard people say to me "I'm getting sick of this cat. One of these days I'm just going to put it outside and leave it." I have seen so many catse get hit by cars because people are careless and just leave them outside. It is so sad. My boyfriend had told me to leave Oreo outside and he would find his own way home but he looked so small and thin I just couldn't let him stay outside alone and hungry. Especially since there are alot of dogs and traffic in my building and neighborhood. I hope that I haven't just stolen someone's pet but if they are going to mistreat him then he's better off going to a new home where he will be safe. Thank you again for all of your advice and for supporting me in taking in a stray as alot of my friends give me a hard time about it when i take in stray cats.

Tags
cats, hissing, scratching