Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 25th, 2018, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Stray/Feral Cat FRiendships With Your Dog?

Today I watched as the feral Tomcat sat in his feeding stand and watched as my dog sniffed around no more than three feet away from him and even looked right at him. The dog didn't bark or run at the cat, the cat placidly sat. There was a fence between them but it's only 30 inches high, the dog can easily jump it.

This is the fourth time a stray/feral has become friendly with my dog. Two other male cats with this same dog. We now have both those male cats. ONe is our pet, the other is still pretty leery of people. These two actually had face to face, head on, sniffing, body rubbing contact with the dog before they ever came close to us. Once before a live trapped female who we intended to spay then release to a barn, she was very wild. We ended up keeping her when she showed a marked desire to be close to our female dog.

What is with these stray/feral cats? I am sure dogs have chased them. What makes them think this dog will be a friend? Have you seen these kinds of interactions? Love to hear about them.
Old November 25th, 2018, 09:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is this Oban? Man, he is one awesome labbie!

Our second setter, Evan, was so sweet that even the neighborhood cats loved him. We were still in the city then and the cats would come running out to us as I took him for a walk. They'd do the body-rub, figure-8 thing around his front legs.

Evan, having no cat experience at all, was initially a little taken aback. Frankly, so was I! We'd both just stand there and forget to breathe as this trusting kitty was dancing with this strange (to it) dog! Somehow, every stray in the neighborhood knew that Evan was a soft touch... How they could tell is beyond me! Could their trusting behavior maybe be one of the reasons they need 9 lives?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 26th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes it's Oban but he's no angel. He still chases our feral/stray Chinny Chin Chin but only if she runs first. She will stay put but not if he comes as close as Tuffy lets him.

Evan sounds remarkable. To have strange cats run out to greet him is amazing. Yes, maybe that is why they need 9 lives.
Old November 28th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

So cool - I LOVE watching animals interact.
(In our backyard we have birds, squirrels, neighbor's cats, and the rare stray.

But to guess as to why the feral is so chill with your dog...I have 2

- Feral reads your dog's body language with ease....and your dog is putting out chill vibes - so feral is chill too.

- Feral has a relaxed personality, to begin with (rarer for a feral but it happens...)

Love to see a couple of pix if you are able
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter