Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 30th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Unhappy Our friend's dog ate raisins!

Our friend's Weim got into her lunch bag and ate a bag of raisins. The e-vet counted at least a hundred after inducing vomiting.

Latest update is that she will be at the vet a couple more days but the vet feels fairly positive.

So I have a few questions:

Has anyone been through this before???? I'm curious about her prognosis and future health.

Any recommendations I can pass on to her re: nutrition for a dog that has had compromised kidney function?

And please send for Paris the Weim!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM

I would think that any damage would depend on the time frame. If the vomitting was induced before digestion was in progress, there should not be any lingering damage. As I have just mentioned to another on here, if your dog ingests something harmful, a few teaspoons (or tablespoons if a large dog) usually will induce vomitng very quickly. then time for the e-vet. If the substance was abrasive, then vomitting should not be induced. E-vet is always the best, but not available to some people. We live ina very small town, more than 3 hrs from any 24/7 clinics.
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

we have, but back then I didn't know raisins were a no no, she (beagle) got into my baking cupboard and ate my bitter chocolate and my 1kg bag of raisins that at the time hadn't been opened, she was fine but had the poops for the next 3 days or so, she ate the wrappings too. Now if it were today, I'd have taken her to the vets immediately because I now know they aren't good for dogs!!
Old May 30th, 2010, 02:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sending and for Paris. Toxins like grapes/raisins etc for dogs may not immediately cause issues. It is important the vet checks kidey fuction on follow up visits for a while. I would think Paris got to the vet soon enough not to cause any issues.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dtoxin.html

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:44 AM
Investigative researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsrule View Post
I would think that any damage would depend on the time frame. If the vomitting was induced before digestion was in progress, there should not be any lingering damage. As I have just mentioned to another on here, if your dog ingests something harmful, a few teaspoons (or tablespoons if a large dog) usually will induce vomitng very quickly. then time for the e-vet. If the substance was abrasive, then vomitting should not be induced. E-vet is always the best, but not available to some people. We live ina very small town, more than 3 hrs from any 24/7 clinics.
Imagine you meant to say a few teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide, Joan? In my experience, that is one of the most important additions to the doggie medical bag, I agree! Dosage is usually about a tsp. per 10 lbs of dog--put small dog in bathtub, put large one in same or in yard--they WILL vomit.