Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 1st, 2006, 10:39 AM

Very early riser pup - Any suggestions?

this is kind of a wimpy selfish post. I have a 9 month old Bichon X ever since daylight savings time he has been getting up at btx 6-6:30 and whinig to be let out.

Before daylight savings time he would sleep until 7:30 - 8:00 if no one was up and about.

I think he can read clocks because it is now pitch dark out until after 7:00 but he is regular as clockwork.

Here is the problem- during the week I get up at around 6:30 usually (though lately earlier due to my fluffy white alarm. On the weekend I would be very happy with btx 7:00- 7:30 (I would love later but I know it is not reasonable) I am unsure what has changed. I have tried taking him out later for a pee 10:30 or 11 rather than 10 but it makes no difference.

I do not know it is attention that he is seeking or if her just needs to go out for a pee. I have tried getting up and letting him out then putting him back in the kennel but he continues to whine non stop after that-till I finally get up out of exacperation- plus it wakes up the kids and the hubby then everyone is cranky - we have a really small house so his kennel in the kitchen is only about 15 feet from the bedrooms

Any ideas- aren't I a wimp....

Oh beautiful sleep......

Joanne
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:38 AM
Honest Contributor

there are a few things you can do... limit his water in the evenings, take him out as late as possible (so you know his bladder isn't bursting in the mornings - i'm assuming this is a healthy adult dog we're talking about, and not a puppy or a dog with UTIs or other health issues?...), make sure to put tasty & fun toys in his crate to keep him occupied in the mornings, and you really need to *ignore* his 6am whinings - no matter how hard it is for the first few days or weeks. Every time you give in and let him out: HE WINS.

dog: "well i'll just keep at it until they let me out, it always works! why should i stop?"

Only let him out after he has quieted down, praise, and then reward. don't reinforce his bad behavior... he's testing his alpha status, in a way. Also don't let him out of his crate immediately after you get up - first walk around, get dressed, use the washroom, etc, all the while ignoring the little beast. this shows him he is NOT top priority in the ranks, and all the whining in the world will do no good. Most dogs are smart and quickly catch on. it takes patience but it can be done, and then you can enjoy quiet mornings for the rest of his life with you

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:39 AM

This gets a bit personal, but do you need to get up to ahem tend to personal needs during the night? If so, let him out for a second.

Alternatively, you could try cutting off his water in the late afternoon.

Be very careful, in the morning when he gets you up a bit early to let him out, that you don't send a mixed message. He's letting you know he needs a pee break--that's a very good thing!!! Something some on this forum would be very happy to accept.
Old December 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM

I have a 7 month old tzu/bichon and he is also an early riser! We normally get up at 5:30 during the week, so he is up with us. On the weekends, he is good until 7:00 - 7:30. I guess one difference is, Buster sleeps on the bed with hubby and me. After his 7:00am potty, I sometimes bring him back to bed, lay him down and tell him "it's too early....go back to sleep". Believe it or not, about 80% of the time it works and I can get another hours sleep! I figure they are like kids......when they aren't tired anymore, they want up!

Good luck!
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:04 PM

Talking

Technodoll you may have something there!! thinking back before I would get up, shower get dressed and then let him out- now i stumple in a daze to his kennel and let him out... I did not think of it because her never whined before.

I know he is young - but the change in behavior and the lack of response to being taken out later tells me that this is more as your said alpha behavior- he is doing this alot more now I find with other things- I just never really thought of the change in my behavior.

Though I generally do not get up for personal reasons I am up with the kids generally once per night maybe i will stumble out at that point so that I do NOT have to feel guilty at 0600 when the whining starts thinking maybe he does need to pee

that won't make him want to get up at 3 am every morning will it??

Joanne
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:09 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
that won't make him want to get up at 3 am every morning will it??
nah, unless you get up *every night* at 3am for a little while and establish a pattern he can detect So yeah... like they say, it's not the dog that needs training, it's us humans i hope that things settle down after you change a few basic things around - the more you apply it to everyday life, the easier it will get, trust me

-make him sit and wait before you give him meals
-make him sit and wait before going in and out of doors (the dog should always be the LAST one through)
-if he comes and asks for attention (barking, whining, pawing, etc) ignore him for a few seconds or minutes, and when he has stopped asking, then you give him love and affection and some playtime
-be the first to initiate playtime and the one to end it
-etc

these little changes will make him understand, in "dog language", that you are the boss and he can relax now and enjoy his place in the rank: at the bottom, but always at the top of your hearts.

"if you treat your dog like a person, he will treat you like a dog"

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love: