Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Orijin, Orijin, Orijin!

Well, I keep hearing all you guys talking about Orijin... 'it's great for this, it's better for that, I feed it now, it's finally out, I'm waiting for it, where I can I get it', yada yada yada... sooooooooo...

Yep, I picked up some Orijin now that the fish one is out near me! Tommy was starting to get bored again anyway, I have to mix 2-3 foods together and rotate different stuff in every few months to keep him eating. He couldn't have the regular adult one because he is allergic to chicken, and I've been waiting and waiting for the fish to come out in town. I LOVE the fact that it's Canadian, that's one of the main reasons I wanted to try it! Plus it cost me about $10 less than the Evo RM, which is an unexpected bonus .

So, he's been eating it mixed with his Solid Gold for the last few days and so far he adores it! His poop's a wee bit softer right now, but that's probably because it's new... it's still way better than it used to be when he was younger. I was worried that the pieces were a bit bigger and harder than he's used to, but he seems ok with that (he's got a serious underbite and has trouble chewing some things). So far, so good .

Now if I could only do something about the fishy breath kisses I get after mealtimes... .
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:02 PM
-

Yep ~ there's no mistaking that Orijen is a FISHY food !! Don't be surprized of Tommy's stools stay soft for a little while. It took a month or so for my crew to firm up and even now there will be a softer poop (nothing concerning though, just a little harder to pick up) every so often.

I'm so glad he's enjoying it! I'm also thrilled to be supporting a Canadian company ( !!!) and am very satisfied with the food.
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Oops, I spelled it wrong, didn't I? . LOL.

Yes, I'm very happy to support a Canadian company too... I'm one of those anti-WalMart, anti-cheap import, support Canadian whenever you can type of people so it's a great chance to put my money where my mouth is. The fact that it's decently priced is a nice bonus too.

So far I've been impressed. He likes it, and he's PICKY about his foods after being ill for so long. He's liked it from the moment I put it down. Plus it's quite high in calories, so if he only eats a bit (some days he just won't eat much) then at least a few bites of it is still nicely filling. His poops have been just moderately softer than usual, not bad at all, and that might even be due to the amount I'm feeding. He was on a non-eating binge for a few days, so he's being a little piggy right now and he might actually be eating too much - I don't really regulate his food as much as I should since he seems to do a few days eating/few days not eating/few days eating more to catch up type of schedule.

I gotta admit, I think you guys are all right - Orijen seems great so far. I'm so glad to have this board, if not for you guys I probably would have no idea about stuff like this! And a big yay for Canadian food choices .
Old September 7th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Remembering Lukka

yaaa Tommy.......yaaaa Orijen......yaaaaa Tommy
I just like any reason to celebrate Tommy
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:46 PM

Lukka'sma . You're such a sweetie! You're feeding Orijen now too, aren't you? We'll have to get together the next time I'm down in London and have an Orijen party .
Old September 7th, 2007, 08:58 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
I'm so glad to have this board, if not for you guys I probably would have no idea about stuff like this! And a big yay for Canadian food choices .
Yup, I too can say I've learned a heck of alot about commercial food here in a very short amount of time ~ which yis critical when you have a sick dog!
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Lukka'sma . You're such a sweetie! You're feeding Orijen now too, aren't you? We'll have to get together the next time I'm down in London and have an Orijen party .
Old September 9th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
I'm so glad he's enjoying it! I'm also thrilled to be supporting a Canadian company ( !!!) and am very satisfied with the food.
Ditto from me .
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Ditto from me .
And me too. I also like the fact that they use local ingredients and I've also heard that you can tour their plant.
Old September 10th, 2007, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

It's a great food IMO and I never would have heard of it if it weren't for this board.

Cindy
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

See I was all thumbs up for Orijen too... UNTIL TODAY
Went and picked up a new bag ( regular adult formula) and to my suprise they changed the bags... no big deal right??? Well, I got home and for something to do, I read the ingredients.
Guess what.
They too have changed a bit
Yes now there is the inclusion of "Zea Mays" Google it..... you wont be impressed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize

Yup, thats right, using the scientific word to describe the culprit now... hopeing to throw us all off I gather.
I had heard else where that this ingredient was in Orijen... and apparently they are claiming it doesnt have the same qualities as its evil alter ego CORN I cant remember why right off the top of my head.
Anyways, I emailed Orijen tonight, to see their reasoning for it, and how they are going to make it out to be a wonder ingredient.
I will be sure to let you all know.
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:03 AM

I noticed that too. I thought it was a botanical ingredient and when I saw that it was corn my jaw dropped. I wonder what they're reasoning is for putting it in the ingredient list. It can't technically be called a grain free food anymore. It seems a little sneaky that they used the scientific name zea mays rather than just listing "corn". I just recently started feed it and I still think that Orijen is THE best kibble available.
Old September 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Seriously? Ugh. I hope they don't change the fishy one I'm feeding. That sucks... I mean, it's good they at least put it on the bag, unlike others who don't change the bags for ages, but come on - corn? In a grain free food? I wonder how many people won't look it up to see what it is. I hope you get a reply soon, I'd like to know what they say.
Old September 11th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Remembering Lukka

My email has been sent to Champion Foods as well stating my displeasure with the inclusion of this item
Thanks erykah1310 for noticing what I had missed.
Old September 11th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They can't legally advertise it as grain free now can they?
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't believe it. zea mays, aka sweet corn. Unbelievable. I've sent an e:mail to Champion Foods and to the Canadian Consumer Association and the Canadian Manufacturers association to complain. I feel totally cheated by their "grain free" claim.

Cindy

Last edited by clm; September 11th, 2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

the e:mail to Champion foods bounced back as undeliverable.

Cindy
Old September 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, and zea mays is on the ingredient list of every variety of Orijen they make including the fish and feline formulas.

Cindy
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM

A couple days ago I'd opened a new bag of 6 FISH, and to my surprise my chocolate lab refused to eat it (usually it's gone in 60 sec). He's allergic to meat and grain proteins, and he was on TO Ocean Blue for an year, when 6 FISH arrived to our store. He liked it a lot and ate three 15 lb bags for some period. He was getting better, less itchiness and even hot spots disappeared. But after he ate from new batch (only a couple portions) he start lick his paw again. Looks like we are back to TO again.

P.S. When Orijen changed his formula?
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know.....I'll have to check the bag I bought last week to see if it's on there. I didn't notice anything else different about the bag, so maybe it's not in my pet food store yet.

Cindy
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_v View Post
A couple days ago I'd opened a new bag of 6 FISH, and to my surprise my chocolate lab refused to eat it (usually it's gone in 60 sec). He's allergic to meat and grain proteins, and he was on TO Ocean Blue for an year, when 6 FISH arrived to our store. He liked it a lot and ate three 15 lb bags for some period. He was getting better, less itchiness and even hot spots disappeared. But after he ate from new batch (only a couple portions) he start lick his paw again. Looks like we are back to TO again.

P.S. When Orijen changed his formula?
Zea Mays was included in a post from Rainbow about the six fish formula way back in April (before the release date) so it is not a new inclusion.

Seems to me we had a conversation about this ingredient with another manufacturer but I can't seem to find it . It is included under the "botanicals" so is not a major ingredient so unless you have a hyper-sensitive dog it should not be an issue.
Old September 11th, 2007, 01:56 PM

This is list of ingredients, I'd copied from the "Championpetfoods" site on August 03/2007. The corn was there already.

FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
Fresh salmon (includes chinook. coho and sockeye species), salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh Northern walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, dried sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shell, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants..
TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS
Chicory root (FOS), licorice root, fennel seed, zea mays, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, rosehips.
ORGANIC MINERALS
Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.
PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS
Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product..
PREMIUM VITAMINS
Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Either way if it is so little that its barely noticable why bother putting it in there?? Thats what I asked them.
Apparently ( after doing a bit of research on it) they claim "zee mays" is the corn silk, not the same as the kernel itself.... regardless, I find it deciptful that they would sneak it in there with the latin name, to me its too much like trying to hide something....
No matter the petfood company.... they are all in it for the almighty dollar and are all just as sneaky.
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
so is not a major ingredient so unless you have a hyper-sensitive dog it should not be an issue.
Thing is... what if you have a hyper sensitive dog? And trusted Champions claims?
Either way, they are adding things to a great formula to IMO lessen the quality of it.
Just like Solid Gold did.
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:34 PM
-

I must admit I never noticed it as it's listed so far down the list of ingredients on the bag. I haven't researched zea mays and am curious to know why they would add "corn silk" as an ingredient.
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Is 'corn silk' really a grain, though? I guess I can see them not wanting to say the actual word 'corn' simply because people would assume that it means corn the grain (as we did, here). So if they say it, people would say it's not grain free... but if they use a different name, it seems deceptive... lose/lose for them, really.

I don't think it's really deceptive, as it is listed... not like when companies change things and don't bother to tell you until the old bags are used up. I guess I can't say if they've lessened it by adding it, since I don't know what corn silk is good for, but if your dog is super sensitive to corn then maybe they would react to it, eh? Or would they only react to the kernel?

Oh well... it's Canadian, Tommy loves it, I'm still happy.
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Swift Tribe

doh!

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/corn-silk.cfm

gotta love google!!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 11th, 2007, 04:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
doh!

http://www.herbalextractsplus.com/corn-silk.cfm

gotta love google!!

-ashley

I just found that too. Thanks for posting.
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

botanical.com also list zea mays as indian corn, part used there is the seeds, not the silk, it's listed there as the botanical name for both. I think if orijen has got corn silk, that's what it should say, if it has indian corn then that's what it should say.

Cindy
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Hi I have some Orijen for sale ,bag has been opened but not much taken out it is there large bag.
I can't use it on my Bud it is way to hard on his liver.

thks