Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:47 PM

Switching food

okay, so I know 10 days is recommended, I have done it over 14 before just to be extra careful. my question is, is there a faster way? if there is a minute trace of anything in my boy's Wellness, I want him to stop eating it ASAP. years ago someone told me that you can switch the food instantly if you feed small amounts of food instead of the normal 1/2 cup or whatever. I know he would be hungry, but I am okay with him being hungry for a little while considering the possible alternative. any input would be great.

Last edited by worrier; March 23rd, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM

10 days is long. Unless he's really sensitive, he should be fine in 5 or so days... Digestive enzymes and probiotics can help too.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:17 PM

the lady on dogfoodproject says about 1/3 of the foods on the WDJ list shouldn't be there, is there a list of the foods she approves of on that site? I know I should be doing more research, but I want him off Wellness ASAP and the store closes at 9. I would prefer not to have to switch him again in a few weeks when I find that the food I chose wasn't the right one.

Last edited by worrier; March 23rd, 2007 at 06:22 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:26 PM

No, I think you have to pay for her advice to know what foods she really likes.

Canidae is a safe food though... It's good all around. It's not the highest in protein, but the quality of the ingredients is better than the vast majority out there.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Worrier, you can trust Prin - she really knows what she's talking about!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
No, I think you have to pay for her advice to know what foods she really likes.

Canidae is a safe food though... It's good all around. It's not the highest in protein, but the quality of the ingredients is better than the vast majority out there.
I guess that will have to do until I do more research. The summer is starting so I will look into higher protein foods this upcoming week since he runs like crazy all summer. He was doing so well on Wellness. :sad: I don't think I will stop worrying about trace amounts of contaminated food affecting him until he's been off of Wellness for a few months. Yes, I'm that much of a worrier.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Beagle Girl View Post
Worrier, you can trust Prin - she really knows what she's talking about!
lol I know, that's why I keep asking her stuff.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM

Oo the pressure! If I don't know, I say I don't know.

Does he have any allergies you know about?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:52 PM

okay so they were out of Canidae, can you believe it?!?!

so I got this one just for the time being, not sure how I feel about him eating all that beef...

Quote:
Solid Gold - Mmillennia Beef & Barley Adult Dog
Suitable for active adult dogs

Ingredients:
Beef, beef meal, cracked pearled barley, brown rice, millet, rice bran, canola oil, menhaden fish meal, flaxseed oil, parsley, thyme, dried seaweed meal, dried cranberries, dried sweet potatoes, dried apples, dried carrots, dried chicory root, carotene, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium panthothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 22%
Fat: 12%
Fiber: 4%
Moisture: 10%

Calories
387 Kcal/cup
another question Prin:

Do you know if Solid Gold uses imported wheat?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM

Well, there's no wheat in their ingredients.... But you can always email or call and ask them if their ingredients are home-grown or bought internationally...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Does he have any allergies you know about?
he has a mild ear allergy but it is unknown what from, most likely corn
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM

Did he still have it on Wellness?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Well, there's no wheat in their ingredients.... But you can always email or call and ask them if their ingredients are home-grown or bought internationally...
sorry I meant to say grains not wheat
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Did he still have it on Wellness?
no, well once every few months maybe, but maybe that was from some human food
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM

Ok, then it's probably not the wellness... I hope the MMillennia does it for him... I'm not sure how easy it'll be to switch him again after a bag, but I guess this switch will give you an idea...

The store didn't say when the Canidae would come in?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, then it's probably not the wellness... I hope the MMillennia does it for him... I'm not sure how easy it'll be to switch him again after a bag, but I guess this switch will give you an idea...

The store didn't say when the Canidae would come in?
I just wanted to start switching him tonight, don't want to take any chances. If they find Wellness has some trace element of this whole fiasco in it, he will have 12 hours of a better chance. I think a few weeks of being on Millennia shouldn't be too horrible for him. In the meantime I can do proper research and figure out where to go from there, if that research leads me to Canidae, I will find a store that stocks it more regularly. Canidae's email made me feel the most secure, the "all our grains are US products" and "all are meat is USDA" etc. Hopefully, Solid Gold can tell me the same thing.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:27 PM

I hope so too. Will you post it if they reply?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I hope so too. Will you post it if they reply?
Yes of course.

And just my luck, the digestive enzymes I bought are expired and the Solid Gold has a hole in it.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM

Bring it back!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Bring it back!
I plan to, but it was an odd hole, almost like it was supposed to be there. It was on the tab where the little bag (4lbs.) was supposed to be opened, and there was a little slither of a hole there. So maybe it is ok? I can't believe I'm going into depth about a hole.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
-

Why do you keep switchin foods?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:36 PM

Does it have a clear plug in it (the hole)? It's not where they vacuum sealed it, is it?

Rainbow, worrier doesn't want to feed Wellness because of the menufoods connection...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Does it have a clear plug in it (the hole)? It's not where they vacuum sealed it, is it?
no clear plug that I can see, just a little slither of space exactly where the tab to open it is, no it is not where it is vacuum sealed up on top. the tab is on the short side of the bag, right in the middle towards the top.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM

Weird... When in doubt, bring it back...
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Weird... When in doubt, bring it back...
that doesn't rhyme! how will I remember?
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:48 AM

lol I just realized that. Well, you can't throw it out!
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:
lol I just realized that. Well, you can't throw it out!
I can shake it all about!

hey Prin what do you think of these other ones in case I can not find that specific Canidae tomorrow:

Quote:
New from CANIDAE! The Perfect Lamb and Rice Dry Formula. Made the CANIDAE® Way with Superior Quality in Every Bag, with No Corn, Wheat, Soy Products, Grain Fractions, Flours or Poultry Products!

CANIDAE® Lamb Meal and Rice Formula is formulated to meet the nutritional standards established by the AAFCO Dog Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

Benefits
Made with Human-Grade Lamb and Nutritious, Whole Grain, Brown Rice
Hypoallergenic Formulation – Excellent for Problem Skin & Allergies
Pure Human-Grade Canola and Sunflower Oils
Holistic & Herbal Benefits
Natural Skin and Coat Conditioners
Balanced Omega 6 & 3 Fatty Acids
Guaranteed Prebiotics, Probiotics and Enzyme Activity
Fortified with Antioxidant Vitamins and Amino Acid Chelated Minerals
Excellent Palatability – Dogs Love the Taste!

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein

(min.)

21.00%

Crude Fat

(min.)

12.50%

Crude Fiber

(max.)

4.00%

Moisture

(max.)

10.00%

Lenoleic Acid (Omega 6)

(min.)

3.55%

Vitamin E

(min.)

IU/kg
Calcium

(min.)

1.40%

Phosphorus

(min.)

1.00%

Zinc (min.)
mg/kg
Iron (min.)
mg/kg
Alpha Linolenic Acid (Omega 3)

(min.)

.75%

Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C)

(min.)

mg/kg
Lactobacillus Acidophilus (min.)
100 million
CFU/lb
Cellulase (a)

(min.)

CMCU/kg
pH

(a) One carboxymethyl cellulose unit (CMCU) is that amount of enzyme which liberates one micromole of reducing sugar (expressed as glucose equivalents) in one minute under the conditions of the assay.

Calculated Caloric Content
ME (kcal/kg) 4022
ME (kcal/g) 4.03
ME (kcal/lb) 1828
ME (kcal/cup) 457

All Natural Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Lamb, Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, L-Lysine, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Organic Selenium, Dried Papaya, Dried Pineapple, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
Quote:
Solid Gold - Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog
Suitable for moderately active adult dogs

Note:
This product uses a single alternative animal protein source and may be
suitable for dogs that are allergic to regular ones like chicken or beef.

Ingredients:
Lamb, lamb meal, millet, brown rice, cracked pearled barley, oatmeal, rice bran, menhaden fish meal, canola oil, flax meal, amaranth, blueberries, dried chicory root, carotene, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium panthothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Fat: 10%

Calories
367 Kcal/cup
Quote:
Natural Balance - Ultra Premium Dry Dog Food
For all lifestages

Ingredients:
Chicken, brown rice, duck, lamb meal, oatmeal, pearled barley, potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols-a source of vitamin E, citric acid, and rosemary extract), natural flavor, tomato pomace, canola oil, brewers yeast, lecithin, choline chloride, carrots, potassium chloride, whole ground flaxseed, dried kelp, salt, parsley flakes, calcium carbonate, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplements, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), taurine, yucca schidigera extract, l-lysine, manganese sulfate, niacin, riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), copper proteinate, copper sulfate, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, inositol, folic acid, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), d-activated animal sterol (source of vitamin D3), biotin, ethylene diamine dihydriodide (source of iodine), cobalt sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfate complex (source of vitamin K activity), sodium selenite

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein: 23%
Fat: 13%
Fiber: 3%

Calories
485 Kcal/cup

Omega Fatty Acids
Omega 6: min 3%
Omega 3: min 0.5%
Ratio: 6:1
any of them look better than Mmillennia?

Quote:
Solid Gold - Mmillennia Beef & Barley Adult Dog
Suitable for active adult dogs

Ingredients:
Beef, beef meal, cracked pearled barley, brown rice, millet, rice bran, canola oil, menhaden fish meal, flaxseed oil, parsley, thyme, dried seaweed meal, dried cranberries, dried sweet potatoes, dried apples, dried carrots, dried chicory root, carotene, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium panthothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Fat: 12%

Calories
387 Kcal/cup

Last edited by worrier; March 24th, 2007 at 01:16 AM.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:04 AM

Well, all three are pretty low on protein... The Canidae L&R and the DVP are the better ones of the three... I just find the Solid Gold Hundnflocken too grainy, and the dogs I know who were on it just didn't seem to be doing all that well (at least not as well as my dogs...). Canidae is much cheaper than DVP...

(And to be honest, I feed my doggies 1/2 Canidae L&R and 1/2 high protein food...)
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Well, all three are pretty low on protein... The Canidae L&R and the DVP are the better ones of the three... I just find the Solid Gold Hundnflocken too grainy, and the dogs I know who were on it just didn't seem to be doing all that well (at least not as well as my dogs...). Canidae is much cheaper than DVP...

(And to be honest, I feed my doggies 1/2 Canidae L&R and 1/2 high protein food...)
alright thanks, you can go to sleep now
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:11 AM

Phew! My eyes are half shut already. Gnite!