Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Natural Balance Duck and Potato? Causing itchies?

He had itchies before, right? It could take a couple months to get rid of the itchies he had before the food switch, and ALL other foods have to be eliminated from the diet......
Yes, it does take time. Goldie developed an allergy to something in the TO Lamb, Barley, & Apple formula. I then switched her to the Natural Balance Duck & Potato, which she was on for 2 weeks or so & she started recovering (now she's on TO Ocean Blue) & is fully recovered. It took about 1.5 months for her allergies to the lamb food to completely clear.

Isn't it the case that the longer a dog is on a particular food that is causing allergies, then the longer it takes for them to clear up??

You might want to try giving your dog some dabs of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 2x/day also. It has been know to help dogs with allergies & skin problems. It's worked well for us also.

Last edited by Goldens4Ever; March 3rd, 2007 at 11:27 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:00 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldens4Ever View Post
You might want to try giving your dog some dabs of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil 2x/day also. It has been know to help dogs with allergies & skin problems. It's worked well for us also.
How much do you give per pounds of body weight? Hope this isn't considered threadjacking - I'm new.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Beagle Girl View Post
How much do you give per pounds of body weight? Hope this isn't considered threadjacking - I'm new.
HI. I have never heard or read anything stating that the amount given is dependent upon the weight of the dog. But using my own logic, 2 teaspoons per day would be fine for dogs 25+ lbs. Dogs under 25lbs. I would only give 1 teaspoon per day, or as recommended by the vet.

I love giving this product to my two. One of the best brands is by "Nutiva," & it can be found online or in health food stores. And, you want to ensure that it is Extra Virgin. I, as well as many other golden retriever owners, give this to our golden babies & it is fabulous!
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Gypsey Girl ...I found a link ..it looks like some from of powder given when you transition the dog between foods??

Cindy

http://eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_DigestiveAids.html
Old March 4th, 2007, 12:21 AM

Yes, this one is about 1/2 the price of the solution, and in your situation it may or may not work.
The only difference is that the one you have contains Inulin or FOS (fructo-oligosaccharides) which is a soluble fiber. It works as a prebiotic, by allowing the probiotic to proliferate, and absorbs excess water in the intestinal tract.
I think they have a guarantee, so when you get through that bottle, you COULD try the other one.
Jerusalem Artichokes and Chicory Root are also high in FOS if you want to go the "food" way.
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM

My senior samoyed took Holistic Blends Seagreens for her itchy skin. When I rotate my dogs' food I also give them Seagreens or Probiotics for the first week to help with digestion. Your pup's diarrhea concerns me and I was wondering if you might be feeding a bit too much. NB Duck & Potato has more calories does it not? I'm new here so excuse me if I happen to step out of line. cheers
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I wondered about that as well...based on the bag & the amount of food he ate previously he is between 3-4 cups per day....( he weighs 110 lbs)

What bothers me is that he is not using the food! He is pooping it back out....I can honestly say that this past week his stools are much better...sometimes the first poop is normal and then it goes downhill from there! It is the quantity of the poops that concerns me! He never used to have such large ones! (gross sorry!)

Cindy
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:31 PM

Yeah, that's normal in the beginning, when they're adjusting. They'll get better (and less smelly).
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Maybe I am loosing my mind but he used to hold his food for longer periods too! He seems to eat and have to go within a few hours..so I find I am trying to be careful feeding him at the beginning of the day if I am going to work?

Cindy
Old March 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Probably. Or just feed a smaller meal in the morning and a bigger meal at night.
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Since I was due for more food for Winston I decided to try this brand...He has been through a small bag of the Duck & Potato & also a 30lb bag..so I figured if I am going to change I would stay with the same company...I am also using the digestive enzyme from EaglePack..that has certainly improved the softness of the stool but he is leaving mountains in the yard! Any thoughts on this one Prin?

Cindy

Dick Van Pattens Ultra Premium Dry

Chicken, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Duck Meal, Potatoes, Carrots, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Canola Oil, Brewers Yeast, Fish Meal, Salmon Oil, Lecithin, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberry, Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca, Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein 23.0% minimum
Crude Fat 13.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum
Omega 6 Fatty Acids 3.0% minimum
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well Winston has been on the Orijen Adult Food for a couple of weeks and I am really impressed...He likes it too! His stools have decreased quite a bit which I am happy about! I still need to give it more time to see how it all works out...I bought some Wild Salmon and Fish Oil gelcaps today and wondered how many and how often to give them to him. I am hoping this will help with his coat...They are 1000 mg? He is 110lbs?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:16 PM
Honest Contributor

i give each dog 1 capsule of fish oil per day (1000mg dose), just drop it down their throats with the morning meal... i don't know if it helps with their coats or not, but there are so many benefits to Omega 3's that it's all good for me

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:45 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks TD! I was worried I would give him too much!

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown