Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old August 30th, 2005, 12:11 AM

Cat food

I have had my cats on Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul dry food up until just recently. I switched them over to Wellness a couple of weeks ago, though, because i was thinking it was a better quality food and it was the brand of wet food i already had them on, anyway (i only give them canned food in the morning). They have only been on Wellness for a couple of weeks now but it seems like they are shedding worse now than before (it was very minimal on the Chicken Soup) and i have noticed some diahrrea even though i switched the foods very slowly and gradually. I was hoping that their overall health would be better on a better quality food. I was also starting to worry weight was becoming a minor issue.

I was wondering what other people have found to be a really good cat food?

Also, is it important to have cats on the same kind of canned food as their dry food or is it okay to mix brands without messing with their stomachs?

Is a diet formula food appropriate before your cat is really overweight?

Thanks!
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:30 AM

As far as I know, Chicken soup and Wellness are very close in quality... I don't have kitties, but I think if a cat is doing well on a certain food, and the ingredients don't have by-products or corn or brewer's rice, there is no reason to switch...

Is the Wellness food you picked similar? Like did you switch from chicken to chicken or did you switch from chicken to fish or something else completely different?
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:35 AM

If you went chicken to chicken...

Chicken soup adult formula:
Chicken, Salmon, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, whole grain white rice, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, turkey, duck, flaxseed, egg product, natural chicken flavor, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, kelp, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, methionine, potassium chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Crude Protein 30% minimum
Crude Fat 20% minimum
Crude Fiber 3% maximum
Moisture 10% maximum
Magnesium 0.1% maximum
Taurine 0.1% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 3.4% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.6% minimum

Wellness Super5Mix Chicken:
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Liver, Ground Brown Rice, Ground Whole Oats, Canola Oil (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols & Rosemary), Cranberries, Blueberries, Flaxseed, Eggs, Peas, Taurine, Garlic, Alfalfa Leaf, Spirulina, Norwegian Kelp, Whole Apples, Zucchini, Sweet Potatoes, Yucca Schidigera, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, Pro-Biotics (Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcus Faecium, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Acidophilus), Pre-Biotics (Mannanoligosaccharides), Beta-Carotene, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Zinc), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Iron), Manganese Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Manganese), Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Acetate, Folic Acid, Cobalt Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Cobalt), Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate (A Chelated Source Of Copper), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity).

Crude Protein Not Less Than 33.0%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 19.0%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 5.0%
Moisture Not More Than 10.0%
Ash Not More Than 6.0%
Magnesium Not More Than 0.10%
Taurine Not Less Than 0.18%
Linoleic Acid Not Less Than 3.5%

The Wellness has more in it, but the Chicken soup is certainly not a terrible food at all!! If they don't seem to adjust to the Wellness, don't feel bad about going back. The shedding would be caused by a mild allergy to something in the new food, or stress...