Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 28th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Dry skin-what ELSE can I do?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I know that dry skin has probably been talked about a million times, and I did some searching, as well as a google search, and didn't find what I needed.

I have 2 allergy dogs, with some skin issues. My boy, who is older, I adopted when he was 14mos and his skin and coat have come LEAPS and BOUNDS that's for sure. He does still get dry flaky skin, but it's pretty minor now. My girl I just adopted a couple of weeks ago, and she is very dandruffy-it's her I'm concerned about. Her actual coat is very soft and she is shiny, it's just that her skin is very flaky. We live on the coast so it is generally pretty moist here, although it was dry and cold for the past week up til yesterday!

Both dogs get a fish oil pill (1000mg) every morning and every night. They are on a fish kibble, grain free (all treats, etc, are grain free). They do not get grains, beef, or chicken in any way shape or form. Nahla, my girl, had a minor skin infection from licking her feet so she's been on antibiotics for them. (Both dogs get a bit of plain yogurt in each meal, and also some canned pumpkin).

I gave Nahla a bath with a nice dog wash that is for skin conditions, and Whistler gets a bath with that once a month, or more often if needed (he's a roller hahaha). I groom them with a soft rubber curry at least once a week, sometimes more. Sometimes I also use a soft plastic curry comb too.

So, what else can I do for her dry coat? She is nervous so I think that probably doesn't help, but that is slowly settling as she learns to be more confident. Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to address everything I am already doing and see if there are any other suggestions I can try! Thanks!

Oh and yes, we have seen the vet, and we have no mange, parasites, fungus, etc
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:48 PM
chronically insane.

In all honesty I think there really isn't anything else you can do? You are doing everything I could possibly suggest. There are some regular products like this-

http://www.amazon.com/Ark-Naturals-E.../dp/B0002AYR8O

(btw, ignore the negative review on their.. some moron put oil in their dogs ears for some reason )

Hmm. otherwise what kind of shampoo do you use? The brand can make all the difference in some cases. I like Earthbath.. and I use a nice oatmeal shampoo for my cats by I think it is OxyMed.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:15 PM

Thanks for your reply. Since I'm already giving them fish oil supplement that might be a bit redundant with that Ark product, although it is something else to consider. I found when I gave my boy a similar product though it seemed a little bit rich for him, whereas with the fish oil pills he does well. Also, the fish oil pills are pretty cost effective, which I like. I'm certainly not one to cheap out (LOL the dogs eat very high quality food etc and don't lack for anything, but I am a full time student so I eat a lot of ramen and tomato soup haha!).

The shampoo I'm using is a vet solutions Canadian medicated skin cleanser for dogs with skin issues. I really like Earthbath and it was nice for Whistler, but Nahla has a bad Oatmeal allergy and I have heard that even on the skin that can be an issue so I'm going to stay away from it just in case. Plus, she does not roll in everything like Whistler, so she won't need to be bathed very often.

I'm hoping that she will start to like swimming in the ocean, as that is excellent for their coats and skin so it might help. Also, as she builds confidence and becomes less nervous her skin might get less dry too.

Thanks again
Old March 2nd, 2011, 12:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Some additional vitamin E might help, it should always be given with fish oil.

My dogs have always done well with fresh ground flaxseeds.

Could also be a thyroid issue.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Some additional vitamin E might help, it should always be given with fish oil.
Good point, and it made me remember that you can apply Vitamin E directly to the skin as well. Buy big liquid gels and cut them open & apply.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:05 AM

OK thanks I'll grab some vitamin E and give that a try!
I don't think it's a thyroid issue. She is definitely not hypothyroid as she is lean and energetic. Don't think she is hyperthyroid as her heartrate is normal and her coat is really healthy, she just has the dry skin. We're seeing the vet tomorrow morning so I'll mention it to him and see if he thinks we should do a T3 and T4 level, although when we were there last he said he didn't see anything as an issue. And she is not hard to put/keep weight on. It's worth mentioning though! My vet is pretty on top of things and we've been seeing him for about 6 years so I trust him. Thanks!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanne View Post
I have 2 allergy dogs, with some skin issues. My boy, who is older, I adopted when he was 14mos and his skin and coat have come LEAPS and BOUNDS that's for sure. He does still get dry flaky skin, but it's pretty minor now. My girl I just adopted a couple of weeks ago, and she is very dandruffy-it's her I'm concerned about. Her actual coat is very soft and she is shiny, it's just that her skin is very flaky. We live on the coast so it is generally pretty moist here, although it was dry and cold for the past week up til yesterday!

Both dogs get a fish oil pill (1000mg) every morning and every night. They are on a fish kibble, grain free (all treats, etc, are grain free). They do not get grains, beef, or chicken in any way shape or form. Nahla, my girl, had a minor skin infection from licking her feet so she's been on antibiotics for them. (Both dogs get a bit of plain yogurt in each meal, and also some canned pumpkin).
First of all, welcome to pets.ca and we'd love to see pics of Nahla and Whistler.

Glad to hear that you have them on a grain free kibble but if you just got Nahla a couple of weeks ago, do you know what she was eating before? Two weeks would not be long enough to show much improvement. Did she have the infection from licking her feet when you got her or did it happen after?

Do you know for sure that they are both allergic to chicken? It is possible that she is allergic to fish and you would need to try a different protein. There are also other ingredients she could be allergic to ....what brand are you feeding?

Does Whistler only get flakiy skin in the winter months? A lot of pets get itchy skin when we turn our furnaces on so sometimes using a humidifier helps.

As mentioned, you have to give a vitamin e supplement when you are adding fish oil as the fish oil depletes the body of vitamin e. I have the dosages saved somewhere and will post when I find them.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
-

Here's the info on fish oil and vitamin e ....it is taken from an article by Mary Straus published in the Whole Dog Journal, March 2007

Quote:
Most fish oil gelcaps contain 300 mg combined EPA and DHA, and you can give as much as 1 of these gelcaps per 10 lbs of body weight daily, preferably split into two doses. If using a more concentrated product, containing 500 mg EPA/DHA, give 1 gelcap per 15-20 lbs of body weight daily. If using liquid fish oil, adjust the dosage so that you are giving up to 300 mg combined EPA/DHA per 10 lbs of body weight, and be sure to keep the product refrigerated so that it doesn’t become rancid.

You must supplement with vitamin E as well whenever you are giving oils, as otherwise the body will be depleted of this vitamin. Give around 100 IU to a small dog, 200 IU to a medium-sized dog, or 400 IU to a large dog daily or every other day. Vitamin E in high doses also has some anti-inflammatory effect.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks! I didn't know that about vitamin E...and I sort of feel like I SHOULD know that since I'm a nursing student!

Nahla was on Natural Balance fish and potato before and has been on it for quite some time (she was surrendered to rescue so we know her history for the last year at least). Nahla is not actually allergic to chicken as far as I know, but Whistler is VERY allergic so I figure it's better to just stay away entirely. He will get very red and itchy after having chicken. Nahla is definitely allergic to beef. Whistler used to be, but in the past few years he's been able to eat a lot of different things, including hamburgers that he stole HAHA but I think on a regular basis it wouldn't be good for him to be on a beef diet (plus Nahla can't have it). I think as Whistler got healthier and his immune system wasn't going so crazy, his body was better equipped to handle more things.

Whistler's dry skin might just crop up in the winter now that you mention it. I should try a humidifier, it would be good for all of us!

I'll start a little thread with a couple of pictures of them

Tags
skin