Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 11th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Any comments about Eagle Pack Holistic Select Cat Kibble?

I have tried several different varieties of dry food trying to make a wise and healthy selection. Since my cats insist on having Fancy Feast twice a day - I share 1 can in the morning between 3 of them and 2 cans at night, I am trying to make sure they receive their main nutrition from the dry food. One guy will not touch any canned food, but eats exclusively the Eagle Pack kibble.
The one who eats this food exclusively, had previously shown a anxiety condition which caused him to totally barber his tail - not nice since he is a Maine Coon and we like his tail big like it is supposed to be. He has dramatically improved and now has quite a bushy tail over the last year he has been eating this stuff. Any comments about your experiences, good or bad? Thanks for the input.
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
I have tried several different varieties of dry food trying to make a wise and healthy selection.
This is going to sound harsh, but there is no such thing as a "wise and healthy selection" when it comes to dry food and cats. Kibble, even expensive so-called "holistic" types, is completely inappropriate for felines on so many levels, starting with ingredients (too many carbs and starches), the texture (can lead to dental disease), and the lack of moisture (results in bladder/kidney/urinary tract issues). www.catinfo.org

Quote:
Since my cats insist on having Fancy Feast twice a day - I share 1 can in the morning between 3 of them and 2 cans at night, I am trying to make sure they receive their main nutrition from the dry food.
Fancy Feast is better than kibble, so why not increase the amount of canned they're getting instead? You can always introduce a healthier canned food gradually by mixing small amounts into the FF until they're used to it.

Quote:
One guy will not touch any canned food, but eats exclusively the Eagle Pack kibble.
There are a few tricks to getting a cat to eat canned food. You could pulverize some of his favourite kibble or treats and sprinkle them on top of the canned. Or hide a tiny tsp of canned in with his kibble and slowly increase the amount while decreasing the kibble. Bonito flakes or parmesan cheese or tuna juice or freeze-dried meat treats like Halo Liv-a-Littles can also be used to top-dress the canned to make it more enticing.

What other brands of canned have you tried? Perhaps he'd prefer something other than FF. Here is more info on how to transition kibble-addicts to a wet food diet: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Pet Guardian

As far as I know Eagle Pack doesn't make a holisitc select kibble. Which kibble are you talking about???
http://www.eaglepack.com/SP_Cats.html
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
As far as I know Eagle Pack doesn't make a holisitc select kibble. Which kibble are you talking about???
They do, it's on this link: http://www.holisticselect.com/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
They do, it's on this link: http://www.holisticselect.com/
Thanks there are 3 flavors. Which one is being inquired about? It makes a differnce in terms of calculations.
Old June 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Pet Guardian

LOL I have the holistic canned in my cabinet and didn't even know it. anyway.....

looking at the three dry products i do not recommend any of them b/c the #2 ingredient is rice....a filler which can't process and don't need.

Look for foods where the 1st 3 ingredients are meat (chick, pultry, turkey, rabbit, etc). THEN look at the %'s to see if it is safe for a CRF cat to eat.
Old June 12th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
Look for foods where the 1st 3 ingredients are meat (chick, pultry, turkey, rabbit, etc). THEN look at the %'s to see if it is safe for a CRF cat to eat.
The OP isn't asking about food for a cat with CRF.

Old June 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
The OP isn't asking about food for a cat with CRF.
Oh oops I must have my threads mixed up, well i still would not recommend it b/c a grain is one of the 1st 3 ingredients.