Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 10th, 2007, 12:20 PM

daily training

do you spend some time each day on training? And what do you work on each day?
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Practice 4 times a day, 15 minutes each time. 2 times inside the house before meals and 2 times out of house with distractions.

Practice whatever you have been teaching her, do each a few times but make sure you are successful with one before going onto the next. If you succeed she succeeds.

Make sure she is getting enough exercise for age and breed and make sure you are socializing her well with everything she will ever see, do, hear in her lifetime.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I dont train daily with the dogs. I have such a variety of breeds that it is hard to adequately stimulate them with training alone. More or less I do "play" time.
While playing we are working on recall, ( making sure its bullet proof, or as close to as possible) Fetch is a big hit around here with everyone ( except Puppy for obvious reasons) therefore I also work on daily "sit/stays", "wait", "go find", as well as direction training ( turn left, turn right, stop ect... done by hand signals or whistles)
Meik needs ALOT of stimulation therefore training alone would be boring to him. Kita has little or no attention span, and Puppy is of ill health and has no desire to learn
Have to understand the breed or mix of dog *You* have and find either creative ways to "practice" training, or interesting ways to do training.
Some breeds just get bored with the same thing over and over.
With a Border Collie, the first time they suceed, its a blast, but if you ask them to do it twice in a row... they look at you as if to say " Ya ya , i get it , lets move on now"
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

in my house, "living" is now "training". I don't have set "training" times any longer. Now I simply use commands throughout our regular daily routine. things enforced daily are commands such as come, sit, down, on your blanket, off, wait, go touch, leave it, drop it, give, heel, nicely (or gentle), kennel, etc.... I simply incorporate commands into normal daily stuff - playing, feeding, affection, walking, etc. this way we are ALWAYS practicing, manners are always improving, and nothing is forgotten.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Our hardest thing to fine tune here was the one command. FINALLY... with Meik and Kita, they have realized that I only give a command ONCE, and that it is unacceptable for them to test that. ( no violence by any means) however if they dont listen they are "shown" and thats that!
If we're cooking in the kitchen, it only takes one " out" command and they head to the living room and lay down on their bed. That one , along with others, is also done daily.
as jessi said, "living" is training! great way to put it jessi
kinda like the "nothing in life is free" technique... Im not a fan of that one, but more or less, manners are manners.
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Performance Spaniels

We don't have set times.. But most days I've set a little bit of time aside once or twice to work on weaving, a couple of new tricks that were introduced the other day, and drill some stuff she does know. Also been trying ot improve our heeling before rally o starts.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I do pretty much the same as Jessi.
Almost everytime I interact with Hunter it is reinforcing something he has learned. Cassie on the other hand is a little different, she is so hard to train, that it isn't as easy to reinforce learned behaviours.
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Set training times are to teach the basics with their skills. What the behaviour is all about, how to do it. Reinforcing that a job/cue well done gets rewards. Cues as simple as sit need to be taught to be used. Saying the word sit or using a hand signal means nothing unless the dog knows what a sit is. Dogs don't understand our language unless they know the associated behaviour. Set training sessions with your pup will give a jump start in learning what you want. Be creative during the sessions, play games to practice cues, practice at the park or on a walk. Nobody said you can't have fun with it but if you are not making time to do the work it will take longer for them to learn. Same as children, they learn from life but they also practice specifically with those skills. There is much more that your pup will get from sessions than just the cues you are teaching.
Practicing at feeding times will teach them that they have to work for everything and that you are the one who controls the resources. Practicing only inside your own home will not teach your pup to listen with distraction.
Practice recalls, play hide and seek, give play fetch, etc

Practicing and reinforcing your cues in daily life is a given. You will want to do this with every opportunity.
Preparing dinner and something falls to the floor or on a walk and sees some interesting garbage, practice leave it.

In addition to everything else I would also take them to classes.

Last edited by 4thedogs; January 10th, 2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Since it is about relationship - relationship is happening all of the time. You don't think 'oh, I have to be sure to get in my 15 minutes with the kids today" or "hmm, have I done my 5 minutes with hubbby today" (okay sometimes I think that! ). It's who you are with them all of the time, teaching, playing, setting rules and boundaries, loving, grooming, massaging, exercising. It sounds like a lot of work when its said that way, but it really just becomes a part of the day - and you don't even notice it most of the time. You automatically respond to what needs to be done at the moment.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I used to have set practice times, but as many others have pointed out, when I moved to randomly throwing around cues, Charley developed better attention/focus. In real life, you don't set your dog up for a down stay to stop them from bolting across the ahy field, you just yell it out. So I figure asking for settle while I'm doing dishes, or asking for a sit stay while I take out the garbage is much more productive. In the course of a day, I can usually work in almost all the commands Charley knows.