Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 20th, 2007, 09:33 PM

Pit Bull service dog kicked out of Walmart!

Anyone else seen this? I was amazed. The stores that "pride" themselves in being equal opportunity for employment and all that jazz, turns away a service dog's business.

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php...6090.msg195796

"On the evening of February 8th, I was shopping at the Huntington Beach Walmart with my Service Dog (Chloe) and daughter for approx 1/2 hour. Chloe was extremely well behaved. The Customer Service Manager approached us and asked us to leave because “there are children in the store and we can't have a vicious breed in here.” I was stunned and went over Chloe's training, that she was an Ambassador for her breed, and emphasized what she was asking me to do was illegal according to 1990 American Disability Act 1990. The Walmart Customer Service Manager said that she represented the Store Manager's position as well, and she still did not feel comfortable with the dog in the store and asked us to leave. I again emphasized what she was asking was illegal and to carefully consider what she was asking me. She again asked if we could go, and then when I pressed her for it in writing, she said to finish my shopping quickly and not to linger. I told her I wanted to talk to the Store Manager and followed her upfront. After checking out, I asked her when he was coming - she said he look for us and is now busy. She confirmed it was his decision also and they just got off the phone. I said I would wait and to call him again, she said it would be a while and to go because “it won't matter.”

I left and called our OC HUGS Service Dog president. and then called the Store Manager with her conferenced in. I first confirmed his position that he wanted us to go because of our Service Dog's breed and he said and elaborated his prejudice opinions, stating they were an 'unstable and vicious' breed and banned from different cities. He said he was aware of the Service Dogs and their rights, but he had never seen a Pitbull Service Dog in his 20 years. He also emphasized that it was our responsibility to educate the public and we shared that is what are trying to do starting with him. He was closed minded in his opinions, rude and insensitive, and finally apologized when pressed for one. The incident is still on record and should have never happened.

We went back to the store two days later as we informed them that we would and approx 6 to 8 employees approached us stating that there was a big meeting and they couldn't believe it was blown out of portion. One employee even asked "did you break her of her craziness?" and then went on to say how he heard how the breed had a 'crazy' gene that made them go crazy and hurt people --- UGH!!! I was as polite as possible and informed him about the temperment test and the difference between human aggression and dog aggression, along with socialization and training, etc..."