Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 25th, 2013, 02:02 AM

Mushroom poisoning - my girl is sick!

Sunday afternoon my 12yo B. Spaniel Honey ate a piece of a mushroom in our yard. 2 hours later she was sick - vomited and diarrhea. We rushed her to the Emergency vet with the mushroom in question but couldn't tell us much. He even called poison control, and they couldn't help much either. They both felt through that it was probably just GI distress and she would be fine. They did offer charcoal and and anti-emet, but we declined - she seemed better.

Monday she was eating and drinking normally, acting normally, and didn't seem to be uncomfortable - she even had a normal bowel movement after her lunch. Monday night however, she was unsure about eating, but did. She became very nervous (but she has anxiety disorder with thunderstorms and I knew some small ones were in the area - I gave her the prescribed valium she takes because of thunderstorm phobia to help calm her) And then asked to go outside multiple times through the night but did nothing but slight usual panic with thunder going on. Around 2AM she was VERY ill and woke me up - all liquidy from everything she had taken in during the day - BUT NO blood. I was told to watch for blood, there was none! Just her food, water, and perhaps some bile.

She then wanted water and I let her have some - after being that ill I don't want to risk dehydration. She drank and is now resting - keeping the water down. She doesn't seem uncomfortable at all - there is no lethargy or weakness. It is 3AM and I can't get her into the vet until morning. I am TERRIFIED that I am losing my girl!!

I researched mushroom poisoning and we were all pretty sure it was muscarine poisoning - she had some of those symptoms after ingestion. Could I be wrong? I haven't found any mushrooms on the property that have all the really NASTY properties (Deathcap type) - just mower's mushrooms and some inocybes (which are now all painstakingly removed before by dogs go out).

I'm freaking out - is there anyone out there right now that knows what to look for with mushroom poisoning? 2 hours after ingestions - weepy eyes, salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea - stopped quickly. 48 hours after ingestion quick episode of extreme vomiting (meaning a lot) - liquid contents of digestive system but NO BLOOD. She is quiet now, resting - seems maybe a little restless but not panting or acting upset.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll have her into the hospital first thing in the morning. 5 more hours. It's the best that can be done - I live out in the country far from town with no transportation right now.
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Some areas have all night supermarkets and some stores will carry herbs, and they might have charcoal. I had to use some when my girl ate some of the plant I was trimming and she started frothing at the nouth - I used 8 capsules for my 18 pounder. Luckily the plant wa only mildly toxic.

Burnt toast I sometimes used as a substitute, but I don't think it will be potent enough, and it might have to be given sooner, closer to ingestion.

I hope thing will be okay, keeping you guys in my thoughts.
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Honey was ill several times after 2AM - and couldn't hold water down. We rushed her to the emergency vet at 4AM. They ran a bloodwork and the results showed that her liver had failed - she was basically dying.

Honey passed away at 6:15AM. I am devastated.

PLEASE everyone out there - make sure there are no mushrooms in your yard anywhere. I lost my girl - my everything - because of one little tiny mushroom.

My heart is shattered.
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renkma View Post
Honey was ill several times after 2AM - and couldn't hold water down. We rushed her to the emergency vet at 4AM. They ran a bloodwork and the results showed that her liver had failed - she was basically dying.

Honey passed away at 6:15AM. I am devastated.

PLEASE everyone out there - make sure there are no mushrooms in your yard anywhere. I lost my girl - my everything - because of one little tiny mushroom.

My heart is shattered.
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about Honey. How tragic. I have been pulling mushrooms from our lawn for the last 2 weeks - it never ends. One of my pups ate a mildly toxic flower bulb when she was just a tiny pup and spent a night in emerg, unlike Honey she survived with no ill effects fortunately.

RIP sweet Honey, you were and always will be loved.
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Chum Mum

I am so very sorry for your loss. RIP sweet honey
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so very sorry about your loss of Honey. Honey was obviously very well-loved and a lucky girl to have been part of your family.

We've had dogs on activated charcoal and fluid therapy multiple times over the years after eating nasty mushrooms. We never have been able to identify which mushrooms are the bad ones, which is very scary.

I hope your happy memories of Honey make you smile again soon.

Honey

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 25th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so very very sorry

(Hug)
Old June 25th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so, so sorry of your loss. Dear sweet Honey. Mushrooms are very nasty things.
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind lights, hugs, and wishes. I'm destroyed over this but it's not about me. My girl is gone and I don't even know what hit me.Two mornings now without Honey. I still need to go out and pull all the mushrooms to keep our remaining Daisy safe, although she isn't interested in them. All she cares about is her Kong - which is a good thing. But these mushrooms everywhere after the rains - there's so many. I look under the bushes and I can't believe how many there are hiding in the dark. Honey used to crawl under those bushes when I'd turn my back for two seconds to pick up a poop. I'd turn around and all I would see is mulch being kicked out from under a bush - Honey was in there digging up all these things. I feel like I am to blame - I had no idea she was getting them under there.

The loss of her is a punishment well deserved. To say that I've learned a lesson somehow trivializes what happened to her. I thought I was getting them all and keeping them safe. I didn't know!!!! I'm so sorry Honey.

Thank you everyone.
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I have attached a website that you may be interested in. It breaks my heart that you are blaming yourself for this tragedy. There are just some things that we have no control over. Sadly we cannot watch our pets 24/7.

Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement

http://aplb.org/index.php
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Please accept my deepest condolences, I am so so sorry to read this.

This is a terrible tragedy and we can feel your pain.

But lets get something straight right here right now.

This was an accident, a tragic accident.
They happen every day to innocent beautiful people and innocent beautiful animals and you are NOT to blame. You do not deserve this in any way shape or form.

It's obvious to us all that your broken heart is full of love...and we are grieving with you, I know I am.

Sweet Honey
Sincerely - Marko
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:24 PM

Thank you so much Marco, patti, all of you.

I just don't know why this happened - how can these tiny little mushrooms have destroyed her liver so fast??? My emotions are everywhere. Blaming myself. Blaming the mulch - the place where I got the mulch. Blaming the vet that I first took her to on Sunday that didn't really push for me to have bloodwork and charcoal done. I'm so mad that he told me he really felt it was just minor stomach upset and that it had passed. I took his word for it and took Honey home. 30 hours later, she is dying from acute liver failure. WTH?????????

Then I stop blaming and I'm just overcome with sorrow. So thank you for scolding me - I know deep down you're right Marco. I just feel that blaming myself puts some kind of sense to this sensless loss.

Here's my Honey - thank you on her behalf for everyone's kindness.

and sadly, this picture was taken two days before she passed.

http://brainpanpublishing.com/Friske...wJune23-13.jpg
Old June 26th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry this happen , Honey may had been eating the mushrooms for awhile and very slowing the poison was building up in her body and it finally killed her.
Old June 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

What a beautiful girl she was.
Old June 28th, 2013, 05:27 AM

Thank you so much pbpatti. Yes, she really was.

I love you Honey, my baby girl; my beauty
Old June 28th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

It's too soon renkma, but maybe in a few weeks, if you have the courage to take a few pictures of the poison mushrooms and send them to me, maybe we can write up an article on poison mushrooms. Maybe it, can prevent a future tragedy for someone else. Just a thought.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 28th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com...oxic-mushrooms

This link show the most deadly mushrooms.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 12:38 PM

Exclamation found the mushroom that killed my girl

Hello Everyone - I hope yourselves and your wonderful furbabies are doing very well.

I know it's been over a year, but it has taken me that long to be able to move on with my life even a little after losing my girl Honey to liver failure after eating a poisonous mushroom. It's also taken a year for that same mushroom to grow in my yard again. So I can warn you all, it is called Cortinarius rubellus - Deadly Webcap.

Last year after Honey died, we found a beautiful little chihuahua puppy that needed us. She was diagnosed with grade 4 hip dysplasia at the age of 4 months and we couldn't turn her away. We took her in, managed her pain until she was old enough to go through two FHO surgeries to basically save her life. She is now 14 months old and we love her immeasurably. She will never be a replacement for Honey, but I've grown a new heart especially for her; her name is Gumdrop Twinkletoes.

Yesterday Gumdrop and I were enjoying the summer day together - she loves to lay in the sun and literally bake. When she gets too hot, she retreats to the shade under my garden swing. Yesterday when she went under the swing and I moved the cushion aside to look down at her underneath me (like usual) and THERE IT WAS>>>>> The same kind of mushroom that killed Honey. And there it was right next to my chihuahua.
My heart sank -Cortinarius rubellus - Deadly Webcap was right there under me, and my little dog not one foot away from it. I immediately got her out from under the swing and to my revulsion and horror, there were at least 20 of the things under there. They just popped up overnight after a cool rain, and then a hot humid morning. I got a box of baking soda and started picking them, and sprinkling the ground around where each grew with baking soda. This morning there were about 20 more - which have all been picked and disposed of. The ground everywhere in that area I have treated with baking soda (kills the grass, but makes the soil too sweet for the mushrooms to be happy there - so it basically keeps them from growing in that spot - at least for a while).

Being the exact same spot my Honey found the little mushroom last year, and recognizing it, I was able to look it up. I've become a mushroom expert over the last year - so finding it at MycoKey.org was simple this time.

The thought that my little 9 lb. Gumdrop was just inches from a Cortinarius rubellus twice the size of the one that killed my 45 lb. Honey makes me feel so sick.

http://www.mycokey.org/result.shtml?...t&random=23378

So everyone - look at this mushroom - memorize it - and when you see it, destroy it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
It's too soon renkma, but maybe in a few weeks, if you have the courage to take a few pictures of the poison mushrooms and send them to me, maybe we can write up an article on poison mushrooms. Maybe it, can prevent a future tragedy for someone else. Just a thought.

Last edited by renkma; August 22nd, 2014 at 01:02 PM. Reason: missed word
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thank you for posting the pics, renkma! Right now we're battling mushrooms in about 20 places in the yard. Good to know about the baking soda, too! We have very acidic soil here--we can treat spot with baking soda, and I wonder if liming the yards would help?

I'm so glad you spotted the mushrooms before Gumdrop got into them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 23rd, 2014, 09:07 AM

hazelrunpack,

Yes, I'm so relieved, but horrified that they are even there.

I've heard of treating with lime as well and knowing the devastating result even a tiny bit of a toxic mushroom can do, I think anything is worth a try to keep our yards clear.

I've heard of people spending huge amounts of money hiring pros to come out and treat their yards with herbicides, but I also heard that it doesn't work.

Mushrooms actually live below the surface and one big organism and there is really no stopping them. The best way to keep them at bay is to do two checks a day, pick each and every shroom from it's base, and sprinkle area and around area about two inches with baking soda (and I chose the baking soda route because it's so easy to get and so cheap - just make sure you devote boxes for yard mushrooms and inside use seperately - take no chances with the toxins of these horrid things). The soda leave ugly black patches that eventually die off, but I'll gladly sacrifice all grass for the life of my babies. Seems that once an area is treated, no mushrooms will pop up there for several weeks.

Sorry to prattle on - this is just such a prevalent problem all over the world that no one really talks about or knows about until it happens to their beloved dogs. Assume all mushrooms in your yard can harm your dogs, cats, and even children.

Best to you all.

(I'm sorry my Honey - I didn't know )
Old August 23rd, 2014, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by renkma View Post
hazelrunpack,

Yes, I'm so relieved, but horrified that they are even there.

I've heard of treating with lime as well and knowing the devastating result even a tiny bit of a toxic mushroom can do, I think anything is worth a try to keep our yards clear.

I've heard of people spending huge amounts of money hiring pros to come out and treat their yards with herbicides, but I also heard that it doesn't work.

Mushrooms actually live below the surface and one big organism and there is really no stopping them. The best way to keep them at bay is to do two checks a day, pick each and every shroom from it's base, and sprinkle area and around area about two inches with baking soda (and I chose the baking soda route because it's so easy to get and so cheap - just make sure you devote boxes for yard mushrooms and inside use seperately - take no chances with the toxins of these horrid things). The soda leave ugly black patches that eventually die off, but I'll gladly sacrifice all grass for the life of my babies. Seems that once an area is treated, no mushrooms will pop up there for several weeks.

Sorry to prattle on - this is just such a prevalent problem all over the world that no one really talks about or knows about until it happens to their beloved dogs. Assume all mushrooms in your yard can harm your dogs, cats, and even children.

Best to you all.

(I'm sorry my Honey - I didn't know )
I was n the back playing ball with my hearing dog and I was using a tennis ball and I thought was picking it up and I went over to see why he was not coming back . My dog had picked up a pod from a tree and was choking on it and I could not hear him! Finlay was able to cough it out on his own . I felt horrible , my dog was dying right in front of me and I could not hear him choking . I had to made sure there where no pods on the ground when throwing a ball b/c my dog thought they where a ball too.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

thank you for the information - definitely we need to keep people aware of this danger!
Old August 25th, 2014, 07:39 AM

IMPORTANT Mushroom Information

I had posted that I found the mushroom that took my Honey from me ... but after much research this weekend, I have discovered that I was wrong. The symptoms of the mushroom I thought I ID'ed are not what my Honey suffered the night before she passed.

Honey's symptoms - TO THE LETTER - were that of Amanitin (Amatoxins) poisoning. I have looked through the many different species of mushrooms containing this toxin and so many of them look similar, and look quite a bit like the one I think I have mistaken for the Cort. rubellus.
It now appears that whatever these horrible things are, they are either of the Conocybe or Galerina family.

Here is a page that covers all poisonings and the mushroom families. Worth a read.

http://www.namyco.org/toxicology/poison_syndromes.html

So my obsession continues ... but I WILL find out exactly what kind of mushrooms these things are. I need to know, as i'm hoping it might grant me even a tiny bit of closure.
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:31 PM

What a terrible tragedy. I have never thought to be concerned about mushrooms so thank you for posting as I'm sure it will bring awareness to so many.

I just wanted to ask if you have a major university near you with a mycologist. Perhaps you could take one of these mushrooms in for identification. If not, is there anyone online that would accept one via mail? When I did a search for mycologist ontario up came the mycological society of Toronto www.myctor.org Perhaps they would have resource to help? Just a thought.

Tags
muscarine, mushroom, poisoning