Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack
We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. With the beater-bar brush and the wand, I can (and do, of necessity) easily clean up the worst hairball problems...even on carpets! (But you can't have it...it's hazel's )
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

A 22 yr old Eureka....that must be some kind of record !!!! Maybe would even qualify for the Guinness Book of Records.
Got you beat.....I have a 30 year+ old Kenmore ! t may be older than that even. The mother-in-law I got it from has passed on and none of her kids can recall exactly when it showed up. They are all over 50 now so assuming it showed up new when they were all still living at home.....we're going with at LEAST 30 years old. I've put more money into repairing this thing than I'd ever put into a new one. It does a superb job with the cat and rabbit hair and the feathers from the parrot - not to mention the assorted seeds, rabbit pellets (the edible ones and the ones that result from the edible ones), bits of hay that get stuck in the carpet, etc. I know it can't last forever but as long as the friendly neighbourhood Mr. Fixit can keep it running for us.......

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM

we've had a dyson for nearly 2 years now, the basic ball model.
we really like it! we've not had any problems with anything breaking, though we live in a small 725sf condo. it is possible that it may not be as hardy if used in a large space on a regular basis... i don't know! since we've had the felines, we've been impressed with how much hair it picks up. with the vacuum and the dryer constantly filtering cat hair, i think our home looks pretty good considering we have two energetic young cats
Old April 10th, 2010, 04:34 AM

Dyson is the way to go for pet hair removal

Dysons seem to be pretty popular when it comes to picking up pet hair. I think it may be related to the fact that they have no bag, strong suction and a good brushbar (maybe?). This article agrees that the Dyson is the best for vacuuming up pet hair:

In particular they like the Dyson DC25 Animal but we have had a DC15 Animal for years and it works great too. I also note that there is a good handheld vacuum for picking up pet hair - the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Hand Vac. It appears to be cheap and it works. Never tried it but they say it is very good.

Last edited by GateKeeper; April 10th, 2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I <3 Fur

100% a Dyson!!!

We have the smallest upright one and it makes our apartment look like we don't have a zoo living in it. Plus, it is so compact it fits in the closet and takes up less space than my winter coat. They are pricey but definitely worth it.

The warranty is 10 years long, inlcuded in the price and if there are ANY problems with the machine they will come to you to fix it. If they can't service it they will give you a new one.

Don't be fooled by the "animal" version, its the same vacuum just comes with more attachments which you may or may not need.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Another Dyson Animal fan here. Mine is 8-9 years old and still going strong! I have NEVER had a vaccuum, from the cheapy to the insanely expensive, last this long before getting completely clogged with pet hair and dying on me. I used to go through a new vaccuum every 6 months.
Old May 9th, 2010, 02:07 PM

Hi
Quick question,
The DC31 Dyson comes in two versions at Future Shop... normal and "animal".
I see that the animal version has a brush accessory for carpets.
We have a combination of hard wood and carpets. does the DC31 "only" come with the rotating brush accessory, or does it also come with a regular "no brush" nozzle?
Thanks

***Edit: I ended up buying the DC31 Animal. Here's some feedback...
great tool for picking up pet hair (we have two cats and a black lab)
The DC31 Animal comes with the motorized brush, a crevisse and a combination accessory (I'm using the terminology from Dyson here: http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/st...ct=DC31-ANIMAL)

One annoying thing is that the blown hair from the DC31 can blow away whatever you're trying to pick up. For stairs, it seems to work best to work your way down, as the air seems to be blown a little bit upwards and slightly forward.
I looked for an extension hose accessory, but the US Dyson site is out of stock, and the Canadian Dyson site doesn't even list that accessory. Sticking the combination brush on an extension hose would solve the blown air issue.

Highly recommended. Although pricey, it beats having to use the large vacuum cleaner.

Last edited by Stefx; May 13th, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old December 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM

funny

My Bissell upright died recently, after some 8 years of service, and with Christmas, it is a very bad timing to invest in Dyson. I was super happy with Bissell, although heavy and falling over when the hose was used to clean furniture, it really did a good job. I planned to get Bissell canister, but didn't find one good comment about it when it comes to pet hair and having three long-haired cats, I have to make sure it cleans.
Waiting for Christmas bonus to see if I'll go with Dyson or with Bissell again.
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM

I love our dyson its so powerfull and no bags to mess around with

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old December 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM

I bought a refurbished dyson animal on overstock.com. It looks and performs like brand new and I saved a couple hundred dollars.
That may be a more affordable way for you to go.
Old December 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Doggie Wench

Glad this thread was revived. After the hose of our canister Dyson split, and having it replaced twice, the third time we received a new one that was made with different quality materials. We haven't had problems with it since .
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Willing cat servant

Interesting thread and I'm almost sure those Dyson must be good however I'm not willing to spend 500 dollars on a vacuum cleaner >.< even if I had them right now.

I like balance in between functionality and price

How about Electrolux I know they have good quality maybe not as expensive as dyson.
Old March 10th, 2017, 03:10 AM

I think Shark Rotator NV752 Powered Lift-Away TruePet Vacuum is best for pet hair. It comes with LED lights so we can clean dark corners also. Its comes with washable filter so you can clean it at home.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; March 10th, 2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: No promotional links, pls