Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Question:

What breeds of dogs are best to have if allergies are present?

Answer:

Firstly, there is no dog that is non-allergenic. It is a myth that dogs with short hair are non-allergenic.

What people with allergies are allergic to is a protein that is found primarily in the saliva and urine.
When the dog (or cat for that matter) grooms itself by licking its fur, it is placing the allergen on its coat where the particles become airborne and find their way throughout your house....and into your lungs.

So if you are allergic or your kids are allergic to dogs or cats DO NOT GET ONE.

It's not fair to the allergy sufferer or the animal that will eventually be given away.

If you already have a dog and develop allergies there are some things you can do.

The best solution for your physical health would be to remove the pet from your home. However many people with allergies (it all depends on how severe) do live reasonably well with their pets save for the occasional sniffle.

If you do have allergies and are living with pets here are some things you can try;
  1. Do not let the dog enter your bedroom. You sleep 8 hours a day there. Minimize the allergens that can get into this room.
  2. Get some kind of ventilation system that exchanges the air in your house with fresh air from outside.
  3. Vacuum frequently
  4. Wash your pet frequently (ask your vet for a schedule for your breed)
  5. Have someone who is not allergic brush your pet OUTDOORS as frequently as possible.
  6. Wash your hands after handling the pet

These steps should reduce but not eliminate the amount of allergens present in your home. They may lessen your allergic symptoms but they will not eliminate your allergies.

Hope that helps

Samantha
Dog owner and breeder for over 20 years
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:39 PM

This should be a sticky.
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
This should be a sticky.
Good Point!
Old July 13th, 2005, 10:46 PM

Stickies stay at the top of each forum. Threads gradually fade away... (you'll notice this one won't change places ever). Stuff that is of general interest and is information that people should always read goes in a sticky.
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Hi,
I just wanted to ask a question regarding this post.
I was of the understanding that some breeds of dogs were
considered "HypoAllergenic" such as Poodles, Bichon Frise,
and Yorkshire Terriers (my mom in law says yorkies are hypoallergenic, however I do not know this to be true myself).
Is this a myth, or is it because the hair type is different and therefore
is less likely to cause allergic reactions?
I personally cannot think all people would be not allergic to these
breeds, as there is no concrete rule about allergies and every person is unique.
However, In regards to refusing to purchase or keep an animal because
of allergies, I will say this- I have 2 cats and a dog, and am allergic to all
of them, the cats the worst. However, allergy pills are 10 bucks for 30 days worth, and that is a heck of a lot cheaper to me, than getting rid of my pets.
Old July 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Dogs with hair have different fur and different dander than other dogs. You may be allergic to one type and not to the other, but that is rare enough to consider it a myth.
Old July 15th, 2005, 12:36 PM

Just thought I'd add a comment, nothing scientific. I am highly allergic to puppies, all puppies, bathed or not. When my puppies get their adult hair, my allergies almost disappear. This happens when they are about 10 months old (give or take a bit). There are a lot of people who love dogs but know they are allergic and think they can never own a dog. I would recommend looking at a small, fully mature dog and of course doing test visits before ever bringing one home on a perminent basis. Bathing the dog and feeding a good quality dog food is important too so they don't get smelly. Most SPCAs are flexible and can work with you on this. I am a happy owner of 2 dogs and with both, my allergies and asthma were terrible during the puppy stage. I actually looked forward to going to work so I could breathe!
Old July 13th, 2005, 12:41 PM

There are also products that can be found at pet-stores for allergies. I've used a liquid that you put onto a cloth and wipe over the animals fur. It keeps the allergens from flying off. It actually works quite well.
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:25 PM

"Best" Dogs for Allergies....

I agree a lot with what the other post said, but I think there are degrees of allergic reaction too. Just depends on how much you love dogs and how much you're willing to put up with. I've been allergic to dogs all my life, but I've always had them too -- indoors.

I do take pains to wash them frequently (and it doesn't hurt the dogs' coats at all) but it sure is hard on me to keep enough towels around and to go thru the pain of having to drag, push, pull and cram a big St. Bernard's rear-end in my bathtub (who is unwilling to go) -- thats the hardest part for me!

I also think keeping them out of your bedroom is a good idea. And you could try some of the "Allerpet" products, which is supposed to neutralize the proteins in the saliva of the animals (cats or dogs). (I also have two cats in our household). I also vacuum frequently. I have many people tell me when they come to visit that they can never tell that ANY dog is in the house, so I think its a tribute to how much you want to keep....I will do anything & everything to keep my animals close to me, but thats just me.

Now, I just recently got two new puppies (Labradoodle and Goldendoodle) who are supposed to shed less, but we'll see. I figure it couldn't hurt anymore than my other dogs anyway (St. Bernard) but I'll be curious if my allergies bother me less with two of the poodle cross-breeds. They are sure goofy puppies -- I have never even known anyone before who has a poodle so I wasn't sure what to expect but they're just so comical acting. I'm going to have to read-up on that breed I guess. I've had plenty of exposure to Labs and Goldenretrievers and these two puppies are very curly (more of the poodle in them) so I guess that means personality wise too)

Sorry this first post got to be so long -- I'm new to this forum and glad to be here!

Anita
Rochester, MN
Attached Images

Last edited by White Wolf; September 10th, 2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: deleted self-promotion
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Unhappy Non-Allergenic

I can only speak for myself, but I have terrible dog allergies, and got a bichon 2.5 months ago and he doesn't bother me at all.... however one time I got him groomed and they sprayed him with some kind of perfumed hair conditioner and I broke out in hives.....
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I used to be alergic to the fur of cats and dogs as a child.I had to take some medications and today i do not have problems with my dog or other pets.

It is very strange i think that these medications helped me and i do not have this problem anymore. Because i have not read anyone of you having a similar experience.

i really loved this site if there are any errors in my english .I hope that i will improve them.

Last edited by saya; January 29th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM

I would just like to say that for anyone looking for a dog that is less likely to cause allergies and of course if you like the looks then a Chinese Crested or other hairless dog such as Xolo's or AHT's may be an option!

I have a hairless crested and a coated (powderpuff) Crestie and both are supposed to be "hypoallergetic" well about as close as you can get really since no dog is truely that way!

I am lucky though and don't have any allegies to animals so that wasn't the reason I got this breed but it's a definate plus if ever in the future My grandbabies have allergies

http://www.freewebs.com/crazy4cresteds/index.htm
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdr View Post
Question:

What breeds of dogs are best to have if allergies are present?

Answer:

Firstly, there is no dog that is non-allergenic. It is a myth that dogs with short hair are non-allergenic.

What people with allergies are allergic to is a protein that is found primarily in the saliva and urine.
When the dog (or cat for that matter) grooms itself by licking its fur, it is placing the allergen on its coat where the particles become airborne and find their way throughout your house....and into your lungs.

So if you are allergic or your kids are allergic to dogs or cats DO NOT GET ONE.

It's not fair to the allergy sufferer or the animal that will eventually be given away.

If you already have a dog and develop allergies there are some things you can do.

The best solution for your physical health would be to remove the pet from your home. However many people with allergies (it all depends on how severe) do live reasonably well with their pets save for the occasional sniffle.

If you do have allergies and are living with pets here are some things you can try;
  1. Do not let the dog enter your bedroom. You sleep 8 hours a day there. Minimize the allergens that can get into this room.
  2. Get some kind of ventilation system that exchanges the air in your house with fresh air from outside.
  3. Vacuum frequently
  4. Wash your pet frequently (ask your vet for a schedule for your breed)
  5. Have someone who is not allergic brush your pet OUTDOORS as frequently as possible.
  6. Wash your hands after handling the pet

These steps should reduce but not eliminate the amount of allergens present in your home. They may lessen your allergic symptoms but they will not eliminate your allergies.

Hope that helps

Samantha
Dog owner and breeder for over 20 years
. Thanks people need to know this with all the so called new no allergy dog/ cats that people are falling for and spending big $$$$ on I tell my new clients this all the time just wish some of them would listen.
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM

hair/fur

i have an Maltese she non -shedding coat .but she still cant not be around some people with allergies because of her saliva and dander .
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM

alergy

My wife developed a minor allergy during her first pregnancy while we had a long haired cat. We found the cat a good home at the time. 9 years later we got an Abasynian that does not bother her 90% of the time.

We got ourselves a standard poodle 9 months ago, he's now 11 months old. My wife has had no problems with him around our house and he sleeps in our bedroom next to me on the floor. Even after 4 months of not having a hair cut, there is no problem. He's about 84 lbs and he is great with my kids who are 6 and 9 and they have no allergies either, not that they had them before.

My father has a medium long haired dog that when he is at our house for a few hours visit, my wife doesn't seem to show any allergy symptoms. However, when he's at our house for a few days when my folks go out of town, she gets congested and some runny eyes. He was picked up from a shelter about 10 years ago. he's a different dog, different fur, and he sheds.
Old December 31st, 2014, 01:39 AM

My pets are too much close to my every stuffs. They can't keep themselves away from me , when I am in home. In this case it is not possible to wash my hands and almost impossible to keep hygiene.

Is there any way to get rid of this. My pets are often effected by fleas. In-spite of this I love my pets very much.

Tags
pet marketing, the pet market