Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM

My Dog was Hit by a Car- behavior changes

Our beagle shauzer mix was hit by a car 1 week ago- he under went major surgery to fix his broken vertabre. He is home and recovering but i am noticing that his personality is different- I am concerned that we put a lot of money into our loving pet and he seems so angry. He is on 3 different meds and of course in his crate most of the time. I brought our other pet in see him, thinking it would make him happy and he was mad at her- growling, snapping and he has always loved her. They were the best buddies. Also, this guy is only 7 months and even before the car accident he was sometimes aggressive with growling when he would be sleeping and we tried to move him, but we were always able to be firm with him and he would stop. Now, its way worse! it's growling, snapping at a new level. I don't know if it's fear of the pain, the meds or what but i want my fun carefree guy back and our other dog is so sad. Any help out there?
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Contributor

it will take time!!! your little one is healing, best of luck brenda and the pins
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear your little buddy is having such a rough time.

I think he's likely still very sore from the accident and from the surgery, rdouglass. I wouldn't push the reintroductions for a couple of weeks yet. Right now his priority should be staying quiet and healing.

Some meds can also make them a bit squirrelly. What meds is he on?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:36 PM

he is on tramadol for pain and one other for infection and then there is a third which is for swelling i think. i just miss my happy little dog.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Give it a little time Don't baby him too much...he'll take advantage if you do Let him heal a while, wait till he's off the meds and see if he doesn't get back to a normal 7-month-old...

How long do you have to keep him quiet?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:54 PM

he was been confined to his crate or being held for 5 days, we go back for a vet check 2morrow.

this growling when we move him sounds like space gaurding to me, which he did a little before but now he is gaurding space and objects- maybe its all fear related or meds.
Thanks for talking with me though. This has just been so hard to go through.
Old May 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's certainly something to talk to the vet about. He may have some insight into what's going on.

for a good check up tomorrow!

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:44 PM

So sorry to hear about your pup. I imagine that he doesn't understand too well what's going on and why he's suddenly more "incapacitated". I don't pretend to know dog psychology very well, I'm pretty new to dog ownership myself (just a year), but I remember so well when one of my cats had a UTI, we didn't know it yet and he acted out so strangely (well freaking scary if you want the truth) and in return my other two cats reacted to HIM reacting strangely. I am sure when your pup is healed and rested, it will get better. Don't stress (if possible). Good luck.

Linda
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:54 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I wouldn't push the reintroductions for a couple of weeks yet. Right now his priority should be staying quiet and healing.

Some meds can also make them a bit squirrelly. What meds is he on?

I second both of these...some dogs react really strongly to surigical anaesthetic and can act out of sorts for a few weeks. Add some pain meds on there and you've got a pup who's really not feeling himself. The meds should be managing the pain though, so that shouldn't be so much the issue (if it's pain causing the behaviour then it's not being managed well enough). Things like sutures/staples can also make a critter feel very "off"/not themselves. I would give it time, give him some space from the other critters, and if it was me I wouldn't put up with the snapping too much... don't "aw poor baby" or coddle him when it happens, you might be reinforcing a yucky behaviour. If you need to move him, can you lay him down on a towel/blanket and use that to shift him around rather than your hands on his body?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

he's in pain and like most animals he feels he has to "crawl" away and be alone to lick his wounds, exactly what an animal in the wild would do and to him his crate means "safe"...let him have his space but let him know by maybe hand feeding him that you're still the boss...good luck and I hope he feels better soon. give him time.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

being hit by a car is a major trauma. a broken vertebre is a major trauma. having surgery is yet again... major trauma. Please give this poor dog time to heal physically, mentally, and emotionally. Be supportive and understanding. NOW is not the time for reminding the dog you are the "boss". now is the time to give him the care he needs, and understand that his growling, snapping, and such are due to this trauma. My dog was also hit by a car a few yrs ago, he was paralyzed on his right side, swelling in the brain, and was quite "off" for weeks. He was sore, confused, and sad. He eventually healed, gained use of his right side, swelling subsided, and he SLOWLY got back to his old self. but it takes time & patience.