Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM

cat in heat drooling?

We got a new cat a few weeks ago. She isn't fixed and we haven't experienced her in heat yet. Today she has been drooling excessively- like a lot. She's also being extra affectionate/annoying.
In my mind this could be illness, or heat. I am leaning towards heat due to the timing, but I've never seen a cat in heat drool. Has anyone else experienced this?
She otherwise seems fine.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
chronically insane.

It could be any number of things. Some of my cats just occasionally drool. I'm not sure how it could relate to being in heat though. You do need to be careful of rabies depending on where you live. I know it is a stretch to say that, but any mysterious behaviour like that in a cat with not much known about her could be something serious. I've had quite a few run-in's lately where the word 'rabies' has come up. I've been bitten by a feral cat, had a kitten in the shelter with massive bite wounds and strange behaviour, another wobbly kitty with no reason for it's neuro signs... etc etc. Always be cautious if you've just recently acquired an animal!

I'd get her to the vets, or atleast give a call to see if they have any suggestions. You can always make the spay appointment while you're on the phone, kill two birds with one stone. (or check out any local shelters to see if they have low-cost spay/neuter programs! )

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:26 PM

I'm sure it wasn't rabies because she's vaccinated and never goes out.

It actually got the best of me and I just came back from the vet. $130 later, and she is apparently in perfect health. They checked her teeth, mouth, ears, eyes, took temperature, felt around for stomach problems, etc. Of course, she stopped drooling while we were there, but started again as soon as we got home.

According to the vet she is in top form!

I haven't had her very long, so perhaps this is just a disgusting cat habit. The vet said to go back tomorrow if she hasn't stopped. But, if she's doing it now and she's fine, I don't know what would change? The vet said she also isn't in heat so that's ruled out.

The fact that she stopped for the vet makes me think this is more of a "mood" thing, like I read some things on cats doing this when they are happy. So happy, then vet=not happy, and home=happy again.

It really is a LOT of drool though. The vet said it's not unheard of and some cats are just gross. It's really getting all over bedding so it's sort of inconvenient. I would be curious to hear from any others who have cats who do this.
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's some great info on it from pets.ca
http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-61.htm

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 21st, 2009, 10:51 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilybean/3943645364/

there is a picture of the drooling for anyone who is interested. what still photography cannot capture is the steady stream of drool
Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Catlover2

My spay girl drools, when she's sitting or standing between my arms while I'm typing on the computer, she drools, and yes it goes all over the keyboard! Sometimes she drools while kneading in my lap. My neuter boy never drools. I think as you say, "it's a mood thing". But you did the right thing to get it checked out by a vet if you weren't sure, as drooling may indicate a tooth problem if it's constant.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by embean View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/emilybean/3943645364/

there is a picture of the drooling for anyone who is interested. what still photography cannot capture is the steady stream of drool
she is trying to compete against my Labbie , that is alot of drool, sorry I have no advise to you.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM

The drooling has reduced greatly today... hopefully it was a freak occurrence because that's a lot of drool to deal with!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:40 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

All of my cats drool when they are happy, or whenever I have a foster in heat (she's usually very happy to have attention). Working at the SPCA we had many many drooly cats, esp. females
Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

You said she stopped at the vet but started again at home...could it be allergies?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)