Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 9th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Exclamation URGENT - 1 day for a 10 Year old Cat

I never do this but I have to today. This is an urgent plea.

Yesterday I went to evaluate a dog and I had to cat test. The cat I used is a 10 year old male, grey and white tabby, vaccinated and sterilized. He was just dumped there for no reason. He is good with dogs as he has lived with one.

After the evaluation, and the constant head butting and purring - he captured my heart. I saw how many cats were there and I knew that for him his chances are slim. I asked them to secure his life as he was used to evaluate this dog - I think it only fair.

Just now, I received a call that this cat will die today. I can buy him 24 hours (without commitment) to find a home for him.

Please - if you know anyone I need your help. I cannot get any rescue to take.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

oh the poor thing, can you not take it for now and then search for a home for it??
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Benmax I am so sorry you are faced with this! I wish I could help! The only thing I can think of is do you have a vets office that may be able to take him in until such time as a home can be found? I know thats reaching but some vets have such great compassion? or what about asking the person that wanted you to evaluate the dog? perhaps they know someone? you helped them afterall?

Hugs my friend!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
oh the poor thing, can you not take it for now and then search for a home for it??
Certainly cannot. Already have 5 cats and now another abused foster cat coming in on Saturday. Bad bad timing.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Benmax I am so sorry you are faced with this! I wish I could help! The only thing I can think of is do you have a vets office that may be able to take him in until such time as a home can be found? I know thats reaching but some vets have such great compassion? or what about asking the person that wanted you to evaluate the dog? perhaps they know someone? you helped them afterall?

Hugs my friend!
Done and done. No go. Trust me - every contact reached. Everyone in rescue knows that a 10 year old has no chance of adoption. It is very very rare that someone will take. No one want to be in this position to keep this cat and know that he will not get adopted.
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Okay how about a pet food store ? Do you have any contcts at one of them? Perhaps he could be put up for adoption. I am not sure what its like near you but there are many pet food stores that have kitties for adoption that live at the store.

Pleases folks dont blast me it is a pet food store I am talking about like pet valu or ryans!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Okay how about a pet food store ? Do you have any contcts at one of them? Perhaps he could be put up for adoption. I am not sure what its like near you but there are many pet food stores that have kitties for adoption that live at the store.

Pleases folks dont blast me it is a pet food store I am talking about like pet valu or ryans!
Unfortunately the only one has gone belly up. All avenues have been looked into.

My only recourse at this point is word of mouth. Someone who knows someone. That really is all that is left to do. I cannot even say to someone to foster until a home found. The truth is that no one adopts older cats period. This would be someone who will keep this cat and will not be banking on this at leaving. This is a bad situation only due to the age of this fellow.
Old July 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well MF you can only do what you can do! I dont like to say it but have to beleive there is a reason for everything that happens?? Hopefully you will have success in securing safety for this one! I will let you know if I find anyone but there are so many out there! it truly makes me so sad. and what is ever sadder is that it sounds like he was dumped after many years thats what is really sad. I find today pets are such an easy disposal? looked at like there valu is nothing???

Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM

Benmax, where is he located? if its fairly close to us, my husband agreed for us to foster him (we have a spare room). Will a rescue try to find him a home while he is in foster? We cannot pick him up on the weekdays though (very very busy at work - quarter end) but saturday we can pick him up if its driving distance.

Please give let me know..

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
-

Masha, I would think he is in the Montreal area, that is where BenMax is
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
Benmax, where is he located? if its fairly close to us, my husband agreed for us to foster him (we have a spare room). Will a rescue try to find him a home while he is in foster? We cannot pick him up on the weekdays though (very very busy at work - quarter end) but saturday we can pick him up if its driving distance.

Please give let me know..
Thank you for your offer. He is not under any rescue. He is with a shelter. No rescue will assist - they just cannot.

I also must say that this will not be a foster cat since he is 10 years of age. No one will adopt an older cat. I could not make this promise as I know how difficult it is to find homes for the older fellows. This is just killing me right now.:sad:

I am in Montreal. I can get this cat to Ottawa only.
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

BTW - I even contacted all my dog rescue contacts - that is stretching it! You never know.
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Just spoke to my husband, he agreed that if a rescue agrees to take him on to look for a permanent home for him and if we can arrange a closer pick up then we are okay with going forward with fostering him, otherwise he is quite firm on the 'not ready for adding a second permanent cat quite yet' and 'i am not driving to ottawa'.... sorry :sad: thats the best we can do at this time... let me know

forgot to add: we are located in Toronto

Last edited by Masha; July 9th, 2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: add my location...
Old July 9th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Is there a pic of him on the MSPCA?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Is there a pic of him on the MSPCA?
L4H - no picture for this forum. I cannot put his face up here because I am failing at this time. I do not want to put a picture up and then have to update this thread with 'no success' and have a photo to show who he is.

Thank you all for your assistance. I cannot say he can go into foster as I cannot guarantee finding him a home. He is not with a rescue. I am only being his voice for today.
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I also must say that this will not be a foster cat since he is 10 years of age. No one will adopt an older cat. I could not make this promise as I know how difficult it is to find homes for the older fellows. This is just killing me right now.:sad:

I am in Montreal. I can get this cat to Ottawa only.
I am afraid I am unable to help you but I do want to put in a plug for adopting older animals and let people know it is not hopeless. I am sure you are drawing on your many years of experience in cat rescue when you say that no one will adopt an older cat, but, although there are far fewer who will, please don't use the expression "no one will adopt an older cat."[/B]

The following is, in part, a quote from something I posted on another thread a few weeks ago when Petcetera (a pet store that helped to adopt out shelter cats and dogs) closed its doors, where I spoke of my experience in adopting an older cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
Had it not been for my son going into one of Petcetera's stores in 2001 and finding Mickey, our beautiful boy, we would never have had the opportunity to enjoy the 8 (too short, but very wonderful, blessed years) we had with him. There were several other younger cats at the store, but my son was drawn to this beautiful, cool, laid back 10 year old. He didn't make a decision to take him home the first day but within a couple of days went back to get him, only to find he was no longer there. When he enquired they told my son that Mickey had been taken back to the Humane Society to treat an ear infection. My son immediately marched down to the Humane Society, adopted him on the spot and took him home along with his ear medications that very day. My son kept Mickey in his apartment for almost a year but then had to move temporarily to an apartment that had a strongly enforced no pet policy. Of course Mickey came to live with Mom (me). About a year later, when my son was once more able to keep him, we decided Mickey was better off continuing to stay with me in the larger home I could provide and in surroundings he had become accustomed to.

Exactly one month ago today, our sweet beautiful boy went to the bridge at the age of 18. I still feel a lot of pain and sadness and I will love him forever. Mickey gave me more in those 8 years than I could ever return. I'm sure many of you on this board can identify with my feelings. I am so grateful that we found him and had those precious years with him.

A bit off topic, but for anyone who is looking to adopt a cat or dog, please do not hesitate for one minute to take an older animal. They give so much and, no matter how young or old an animal is, there is never a guarantee as to how long you will have them.
I also refer to your quote in the first post on this thread.

Quote:
After the evaluation, and the constant head butting and purring - he captured my heart.
I am still in the grieving stages and don't feel that I am emotionally ready to adopt another pet yet. Besides, I live in Winnipeg. I am also leaving for vacation for the next couple of weeks. However, I have already downloaded an application to foster cats for the Winnipeg Humane Society, which is in desperate need of fosters for their overflow of cats. I will be specifically requesting to foster older cats. When I am ready to provide a permanent home for another cat I will be looking for an older cat in need of a home. My son and myself are not unique in any way. I'm sure there are many others out there, like my son and myself, who would fall for an older boy like this one and be happy to provide a home for him. It may be more difficult to find these people but they are definitely out there.

I sincerely hope you will find someone who will be able to foster this cat who is in such desperate need before it is too late but IMHO you are taking away from his chances if you continue to state to people that "no one will adopt an older cat." You can tell them honestly that it is more difficult to find homes for them but please don't act like it is impossible. that you will yet find someone who will take him in.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; July 9th, 2009 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to say I really don't know how to address this.

I am in rescue. I am not talking out of hat. Ruining the chances for this cat by saying no one will adopt this cat??? I am saying I will NOT put this cat into foster because I cannot secure or guarantee that I will find a home for him.

Sorry - just saying like it is. Do you realize how many avenues I have tried thus far? Seriously?

I am too frustrated right now on saving this boy and my wording is the least of my problems right now.

Oh and BTW - I deal with impossibilities on a daily basis. Peace!
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

And one other thing.

I do not take advantage of people. This cat has been there for months. He was never adopted. Now only because I cat tested him - do I know who he is. I will not say to Masha or L4H that I can find a home for him - chances are that I will not. And if I do not then - what do I tell the 2 people who offered to foster this cat? Keep him? He's your problem now?

Nope - critism right now is not washing well with me.
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
And one other thing.

I do not take advantage of people. This cat has been there for months. He was never adopted. Now only because I cat tested him - do I know who he is. I will not say to Masha or L4H that I can find a home for him - chances are that I will not. And if I do not then - what do I tell the 2 people who offered to foster this cat? Keep him? He's your problem now?

Nope - critism right now is not washing well with me.
I did not mean anything I said in a critical way, but it obviously came across that way. I have a great deal of respect you and others like you who work tirelessly to help save lives and the world needs more people like you. Again I apologize.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Doggie Wench

If anyone can take in this cat, I can arrange transport from Montreal straight through to Burlington, ON this coming Tuesday. My mother and step-father will be returning home from a visit then.
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

BenMax - check your PM
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
BenMax - check your PM
YES, YES, YES!!!
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
BenMax - check your PM

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:25 PM
-

14k - I laud you

Name:  Everyone bowing.gif
Views: 311
Size:  23.2 KB
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Thank you!!!

Old July 9th, 2009, 02:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
YES, YES, YES!!!
Thank you. I am honoured you trust me enough.
Now, what is his name?
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

This is heartbreaking. 14+, I don't know what you PM'd BenMax, but it looks like it was good news.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thank you. I am honoured you trust me enough.
Now, what is his name?
His name is Chico.. 14+K - I really don't know what to say but thank you. There are no words...no words.

LP - thank you so much.

Seriously - I was in a corner. Thank you all.
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
His name is Chico.. 14+K - I really don't know what to say but thank you. There are no words...no words.
Ha!! Chico!! I will have my very own Chico!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful. I am so excited.
Thank you for caring enough to get him out! I don't need words.
Old July 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
This is heartbreaking. 14+, I don't know what you PM'd BenMax, but it looks like it was good news.
AG - no heartbreak. It's all good.