Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM

As long as you know what you are feeding, it's all good.
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Brewer's Yeast is not a by-product! It's just a type of yeast. It's been used and sold in organic food stores for years, and as a supplement of more than "one type of B vitamin." They don't scrape it off the bottom of beer vats, that info is totally bogus.

Last edited by Blathach; July 6th, 2006 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Rudeness
Old July 6th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Please keep comments civil. We are here to educate, not to post insults.
Old July 6th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Boss-lady!

Allow me to rephrase: Brewer's yeast CAN come from the vats or from other sources; nutritional yeast, the stuff sold in Health Food Stores for human consumption is more specific in type and source. Not necessarily the same thing, at all. And I don't really trust pet food companies, which are far less regulated, to go for the more expensive option.

So let's just say you and I disagree on the subject and let it go, OK? You've got your mind made up already; I don't see any point in continuing to try and discuss the subject.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker
Allow me to rephrase: Brewer's yeast CAN come from the vats or from other sources; nutritional yeast, the stuff sold in Health Food Stores for human consumption is more specific in type and source. Not necessarily the same thing, at all. And I don't really trust pet food companies, which are far less regulated, to go for the more expensive option.

So let's just say you and I disagree on the subject and let it go, OK? You've got your mind made up already; I don't see any point in continuing to try and discuss the subject.
Skryker, you said it all. Especially that last bit about letting it go. I'm done, too.
Old July 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Performance Spaniels

Aww thank you Skryker.

I also don't see the point in trying any longer.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Adult science diet ingredients first 12 ingredients
Quote:
Lamb Meal, Brewers Rice, Rice Flour, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Corn Gluten Meal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Dried Beet Pulp, Soybean Oil,
1 meat source followed by 6 grains, it is comparable in ingredients to many of the low cost food yet comes with a premium food price tag

you are lucky if there is 15% meat is this food, technically it is better suited as a pig or cow food than a dog food, canines require meat as the the bulk of their meals to be at their optimum health. Many companies over the years have been taking more and more meat out of the food and substituting with grains to reduce their manufacturing costs, A can of Dr Ballards 40 years ago or a bag of Alpo is a totally food today, those old products then were better then many of the so called premium products today.

My mom's shih tzu has spent most of her life eating science diet she is now 12, 3 years ago her kidneys started failing , then 2 years ago she started having heart problems, her muscles started wasting around the same time, Years ago I tried to get her to switch food telling her the meat content was too low but the vet recommended it so she felt it must be better, and now she is dying a slow death as a result
Meat protien helps helps to keep the kidney functioning and flushing properly, the old theory that high protein is bad came from testing rats not dogs, 6 years ago new studies revealed the big oops, meat protein is also important for muscle development, new studies are showing that seniors need increased protein rather than less to maintain muscle mass, and for cellular repair.

Compare science diet's ingredients to Canidae(first 12 ingredients)
Quote:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin,
or EVO(first 12 again)
Quote:
Turkey, Chicken,Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Potatoes, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat, Natural Flavors, Egg, Garlic, Apples, Carrots
It is not hard to see what has more meat and therefore what is better suited for a dogs nutrition
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Confused about what to feed

Hi everyone,
I've been trying to decide what to feed an very active 20 lb. 5 year old male and a 12 week old Shih Tzu. We lost our little guy 2 months ago (thank you Menu Foods) and I am very gun-shy about processed foods, but we don't have the time to make our own so I'm trying to settle on a good kibble. We started with Iams, then were told to try Performatrin Ultra (Salmon). My daughter's vet told her the Performatrin causes kidney stones in small dogs so she wants my advice.

I looked into Canidae (as it seems to be recommended here) and it seems to have less meat protein than the Ultra.

I'm trying to follow what is being discussed here, but I have to resort to some direct questions:

Is the Performatrin Ultra (Salmon) any good? Is Canidae better? (It's cheaper)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jim
Old August 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM

I am always curious when people talk about kidney and bladder problems why water is not brought up. Much of the concerns can be traced back to water. For all my pets I have changed over to distillied water because in my area the water is quite hard.
Food is definitely a contributor to concerns and foods that are high in fibre are going to draw water from the body. For cats I have read that a good way to get them to drink is to have multiple water sources and move them around.
The talk regarding corn in performatrin is confusing two different types of performatrin. The basic line has corn and the ultra does not.
Another ingredient I like in a cat food is cranberry which has the same benefits as for people which is that it prevents things adhering to the bladder and urinary tract walls. Still all in all I think the main concern should be the quality of water and amount of water.
Old August 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
proud to be a cat slave

Water is important, but if you are feeding your cats canned food exclusively, they get a lot of that water in the food itself, helping out a species that has a low thirst drive to begin with. They definitely drink a lot less water once they are on a canned food.

I agree, Performatrin Ultra (canned) is a decent food for cats - there are no grains, and the ingredients are more than adequate, in my opinion.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old August 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Performatrim is Pet Valu's house brand, I don't think anyone else sells it. Its also what they give cats at the animal shelters around here. I used to feed it to my cat, until i got what must have been a bad batch because he wouldnt eat it. That was about 8 months ago, I know since then they have re-formulated it, to include more meat. Currently for dry I'm using Spa Blue, which seems like its working out ok, but I am thinking about trying Performatrim again, especially the ultra version.
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Pet Valu

HI, my post refers to Performatrin but first I'd like to say that I have a bit of an issue with Pet Valu itself...a few months ago my cats picked up fleas. I assumed they came in through my screen door; the older woman at my local PV told me "they can't jump that high, you bring them in on your clothes." Well, fleas fly so I stick with MY assumption of the screen door; who is to say that they didn't come in when the door was open.

I asked for the flea remedy that you apply directly to the cat via little tube & this woman told me "that type takes too long" and recommended Zodiac sprays, the one for the home & the one that is applied to the cat. The one for the home was fine, little to no smell but the one to be applied to the cats is the most rancid smelling, not only that it made my cats violently ill. I e-mailed Zodiac regarding this and of course heard nothing back.

I went back to PV and fortunately this particular woman was not there; I asked for the little tubes (also made by Zodiac) and was given them with no argument from the sales person. This stuff worked almost instantly; all fleas are gone. Had it not worked I would have pursued my local Vet office for a remedy.

I don't like that particular woman who talks to every customer (I have good ears) like they are idiots and know nothing about their pets or pet products. I also know, after having worked retail mgmt years ago that retail outlets are paid by suppliers to promote their products whether they believe in the product or not, whether they have particular knowledge of the product. Vets do the same thing (referring to the posts re Hills products.) The bottom line is money.

I recently switched my four senior cats to Performatrin Senior on the recommendation of someone who has fed Performatrin to her cat for years and whose cat has had no issues and now I am reading these horrifying posts re Performatrin. Do I wait to see if one of my boys falls ill, do I return the bag that I bought yesterday or is this dry fine to feed my boys? They get wet food each morning & water is provided at all times, obviously.

Thanx for your feedback.
Old August 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Performatrin and kidney failure

We have lost two cats to renal failure on Performatrin Weight Control, this year. Now, a third is showing signs of the same! I am concerned about this product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It has long been known that dry food of any kind causes lots of health issues over the long run. That is why we say any canned food is better than dry foods.

www.catinfo.org

As for any over the counter flea remedies - they mostly don't work and some can be deadly to cats. I believe the can of Zodiac tells you to remove your pets and cover all food and fish tanks before spraying. At least the can I have here does. Fleas do indeed hop. They also come in on our clothes. And yes, I realize that statement was made in 2009.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:55 PM

Angry Performatrin Cat Food (dry adult bag)

This Cat food should be pulled off the shelves. It made my 1year old cat throw up all of her meal. My other cat won't touch the stuff and my daughters cat has run away from home as a result of this food being left out for him.

After reading all of the other posts on this forum, I think its time someone pulled this off the shelves and checked what is making these cats sick from this food.

Hope no one has had to take their cat to the vet because of this product!
Old January 13th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

This thread was started 7 and a half years ago and the last post before Mamaelf was 2.5 years ago. Comments on ingredients may no longer be relevant.
Old April 14th, 2014, 07:07 AM

Performatrin

Good morning,
Please look at Susan Thixton's Truth About Pet Food. There is a list of 2014 pet food recalls. There are VERY FEW dog, as well as cat foods, which are healthy.
Please do not take the advice of someone who works in a pet store to suggest
dog or cat foods. These employees are given scripts of which foods to recommend. Knowledge is power. The more research one does to investigate various foods, the healthier your pet will be. This applies to human health, as well. We are fortunate, we have access to this information with the internet. If one does not have a computer, there is always information at the library. Look up the various ingredients; as well as the preservatives. Some of these preservatives are not even allowed in foods in Europe; but, are considered acceptable in the U.S. This has to do with greed and profit. I am not saying all pet foods are bad; as, there are a few good companies who actually care about what the ingredients are given to one's dogs and cats. Please spend some time looking at different websites, like Homemade Dog Food. There are good suggestions for recipes one can prepare. You just have to make sure you are including all of the nutritional supplements to make it a healthy diet. Good luck.
Old August 11th, 2016, 09:00 AM

performatrin cat food is garbage

I have used performatrin ultra for dogs for a few years and it seems like a decent product. However,I tried their cat food and my cat was constantly hungry,yowling non stop. When I give her the "Now" brand of cat food she barely eats a cup a day and it lasts for one month. She went through the same sized bag of performatrin in ten days and she was still hungry. there must be some cheap filler they have in it instead of what is posted on the bag!