Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Wierd encounter..

Two days ago while walking Duke and Gypsy through the creek a guy approached us with what looked to be an AM bulldog x Mastiff mix, due to it's wierd porportion's and size ( looked very bullyish but was at least 80-110lbs). He was holding it by the collar between his legs and asked me if my dog was friendly. Duke began to bark and assuming he wanted to socalize his dog I said though he was normally that he was he didn't seem to like his dog and that I didn't want him to bring his dog over. He continued to walk forward asking what breed he was. I responded he was a Rotti/Shep/Collie Mix, to which he responded, oh those are good breeds, let your's offlesh so they can fight. I stood up and put Duke behind me as the guy looked like he was going to release his dog on us regardless of wether or not I released Duke. I told him to F** off and that I thought dog fighting was a disgusting cowerdly sport and walked away.

At the time I was to shocked to think to call the police for harassement as I know it's not to uncommon for amature wanna be dog fighter's to try and boost their dog's confidence by letting them kill a weaker dog. That or he was just some insane guy off his rocker. I called AC the next day but they wouldn't even take a statement saying their was nothing they could do. It's now been two days and I'm unsure if reporting it to the police would do much good or if it would simply fall on def ears as I have no personal information about the guy.

Kayla
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:24 AM
-

What a hideous experience ~ it's a good thing yiou were able to get yourself, Gypsy and Duke out of there without harm. I would report it to the police anyway and if you remember make a note of when and with whom you spoke to Animal Control as well as the police. IF something happens, it's a worthwhile detail to provide to the media showing the disinterest of AC and the police in taking action.
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:26 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colubridz View Post
It's now been two days and I'm unsure if reporting it to the police would do much good or if it would simply fall on def ears as I have no personal information about the guy.

Kayla
Please report him, maybe other people did the same, it takes a lot of people to complain for the police to actually do something. If everyone think the police is not going to do anything about it , and don't report, nothing will ever happen. Maybe you could give them a description of the man and the dog ?
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Remembering Lukka

What an a$$ this guy was. So glad you were able to get out of there with both of your dogs and yourself unharmed.
I imagine the life this nuts dog lives is less then ideal, poor dog.
Old June 6th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Young at Heart

I'm so glad you were able to get away without incident! and I add my vote that you should report the guy to the police. It's people like that who make it so hard for others!
Old June 6th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Definitely call the police! If there are others complaining about this guy, they may send somebody out to investigate. Plus, this guy must be stopped! He may be training his dog to be aggressive and as we all know, that leads to no good .
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Well Crime Stoppers took my tip, so hopefully if the guy sticks around in the area and tries the same thing a few other people might complain or better yet call the police and they'll nab him. In the meantime I hope his poor pup dosen't suffer.

Kayla
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

What a sick jerk. I think you should call the police and at the very least give them a description and tell them exactly where you were when it happened. The idiot probably thought he was being cool.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great to hear they took your tip! What a scary encounter! I can't imagine what that poor dog must be going through as well. :sad: It's just sickening that people like that exist. Glad you were able to stand up for yourself though! Good for you!
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry you and your dogs had to experience that and happy you are safe after the peculiar and most unsettling encounter! I am glad they took your statement and hopefully, he may be found and stopped. He sounds dangerous!!!
Old June 11th, 2007, 07:40 PM

How awful! Maybe I'm naive, but I was shocked by what you described and very surprised that someone would be so stupid! I know that people allow dogs to fight and even encourage it, but I wasn't aware of people actually looking for dog fights on the street!
Old June 12th, 2007, 07:41 AM

that's appalling, and frightening, and horrible for the poor dog, what kind of a life must it be living? I'm glad you and your dogs got away safely and without incident. And good for you for telling him what you thought of him and his "sport"!

It's the fact that sickos like this exist that keeps me out of parks and off of trails. I'm too scared of the off-leash dogs belonging to [insert expletive here]s like this who would be amused by my fear as an alternative to finding some poor pet to sic their animal on.

Please do report this to the police and get it on record, hopefully it would count for something if others also report such incidents. People like this give the decent, considerate dog owners a bad name.