Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old July 12th, 2017, 04:30 PM

Unhappy Hepatic lipidosis, pancreatitis, feeding tube, 15 year old cat

My 15 year old cat Mufasa (m, neutered) spent almost a week in the hospital after I noticed he had jaundice. He lost a few pounds and was diagnosed with hepatic lipidosis, believed to be caused by pancreatitis.

He was eating a little bit on his own but not enough so they gave him a feeding tube. He came home yesterday pretty doped up, but still is using the litterbox and still wanted to sit outside in our backyard (his favorite place).

Now he is trying to hide, which may be because he is mad I had to give him his meds this morning, also I have two small children and he's not a fan. He is still getting up and moving around, still using the litterbox, but he definitely wants to be left alone.

It's supposed to take at least two weeks to see improvement with the feeding tube, but if he already wants to be left alone after only being home for a day, does that mean it's time to let him go? This is really hard and I don't want to make the wrong choice. He isn't vomiting and he doesn't seem to mind the feedings although he does move around a little bit when we do it.

Has anybody had an older cat make it through with the feeding tube? Am I just torturing him?
Old July 13th, 2017, 08:02 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sorry you're dealing with this, Fasa's mama.

We just got our first cat about a year ago--a stray that jumped into my arms and ended up staying--so I don't pretend to be an expert. But I'd ask myself how he was feeling otherwise. Does he seem uncomfortable or overly lethargic? He's still coming out to use the litterbox, you said, and although not a big fan of the feeding tube, he's tolerating the feedings?

If he seems otherwise comfortable, I think it would be worth a little bit of a wait to see if the feeding works and/or he starts eating better on his own. Does he have a quiet room with a comfy bed and a litter box where he can be away from the children till he's feeling better?

Sometimes, especially after being doped up, it takes them a few days to de-stress from a stay at the vet--that's true of any animal.

Your vet might also be able to give you some insight. Might be worth having a heart-to-heart talk with the vet, even if you have to pay for another office visit.

Best wishes for you and your kitty. I'll keep you in my prayers. And please keep us posted on his progress!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."