Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 21st, 2014, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Poop slipping out!

So as I have done a couple of times in the past I am trying Marty on raw food again. I have been struggling with unknown allergies all of her 7 years. Each time I do I notice uncontrollable small poops slipping out usually when she is resting. This has happened on dehydrated raw, freeze dried raw and now frozen raw. Has anyone ever seen this before. Her stools seem fine and they certainly don't smell as bad as on kibble and her bad gas is gone too. I would like to think I am feeding her the best that I can and this happens every time. Weird eh? I would really like to get her off kibble!!!! She gets no processed treats either. I am giving her canine fish oil too.
Old February 21st, 2014, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

No wonder your dog had poop pouring out , you should stop giving the fish oil and try adding cooked white rice to the food. How much fish oil are giving your dog ? You should also made your is not sick , how does he/she look and made sure your dog is drinking enough water when he has the runs.
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

She is not sick at all. She had full blood work done at her check up appointment. What I am expressing is that the raw food is digested much different than kibble and wondered if someone has been through this. She does not have the runs, her stool is brown firm and normal. In fact her coat is even improving slightly. I do wonder if the fish oil is too much?
Old February 21st, 2014, 12:44 PM

Very odd! I'm not convinced the fish oil is the culprit - but how much are you giving?
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:06 PM
Senior Contributor

1/2 - 1 tsp of Nordic Fish Oil for dogs.
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
Very odd! I'm not convinced the fish oil is the culprit - but how much are you giving?
http://fishoildogs.net/blog/to-much-...-for-your-dog/

http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/adding...food-3195.html

I found two web sites that agree with me. I was told by a vet too that it can cause a dog to get the runs. It's best not to feed your dog more one than one new food at a time. If the dog get the runs it'll be hard to know which food is upsetting him. It would help to put the dog on 12 hours fast so his tummy can rest he should get water but no food . And feed him only the food for awhile and see if help with his poops . Then try adding a little fish oil per day , and see how his poops are . The oil an be cut back if the dog run into trouble again.

Last edited by Barkingdog; February 21st, 2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Marty does not have runny poo right now, its totally normal. This poo thing only happens on the raw diet, little small poops slipping out without her straining, I find little bits in her bed. This does not happen on kibble however her coat was so bad and her gas was so bad on kibble that I am trying the raw again. She also has had a lot of sardines with no effect. I will call my vet, but the dog food people have never heard of this. I will try one more week or so, I will give an update. I would like to see if her bald spots fill in, her coat is bad right now. I feel she has some sort of immune deficiency.
Old February 21st, 2014, 01:49 PM

Have you tried doing your own raw - or are you always going with premade? Maybe there is something in the premade stuff that is having an odd effect?

Given your puppers' stool is completely normal (except slipping out at inappropriate times!) doesn't seem to lead to the fish oil. Normally too much fish oil will cause diarrhoea. You could always try cutting back on it and see if it makes a difference I suppose.

Does your vet support raw feeding? If they don't, you may not get much help from them except the 'change back to kibble' talk
Old February 21st, 2014, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I am trying pre-made but will try my own if her coat shows some improvement. It's just for convenience right now. If you knew her history I still think it will be good for her to eat raw. Not too many vets support raw, I may move over to home cooking again. Thanks for everyone's responses.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I was going to say I would investigate a neurological reason, possibly a back injury. That's what it was with my girl, her back went out due to IVDD and Spondylosis. But if this only happens on a certain diet, well, peculiar.

Wait, wait, got an idea. How much filler and grain is in the raw diet? For our girl with IVDD something that did help her was to bulk up her food with fibre. She could feel a bulkier stool sooner and often earlier enough for her to ask to go outside in time. Any chance the foods your pup's problems Don't happen on fit with that? More fibre in them so she can feel them better?
Old February 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I am trying pre-made but will try my own if her coat shows some improvement. It's just for convenience right now. If you knew her history I still think it will be good for her to eat raw. Not too many vets support raw, I may move over to home cooking again. Thanks for everyone's responses.
I was told that feeding a dog home cooked food is not balance diet and that you needed to a supplement to the food. I was cooking for my dog Marty and my vet told me it was not balance diet , so I got some dog power supplement to add to the food. I was having a hard time find a food that agreed with and I finally found Earthborn Holistic grain free with bison .
I hated buying bison but I was running out of ideas , Marty been going great on this food ,it's dried dog food.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm in Longblades camp--wondering if it's a bulk issue. So odd that it only happens on the raw diet...and that's one of the main things missing--fillers.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I think I agree on the fillers. Because kibble poop is so much bulkier she passes them easier or as you said she can feel them. My pet food advisor asked me to try a bit longer, I actually see a slight improvement in her coat. I have a before pic and will show an after in a few weeks. All around she is doing better. And there is no injury to her back, she had a full check up with the doc. I will post in a week or so. I wondered about home cooked because of missing nutrients? Has anyone heard how Carna4 is been doing, an unprocessed kibble?
Old March 5th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Poop slipping out is not happening as much anymore. Coat still thin but I have to wait at least 6 weeks. I think it was just an adjustment for her digestion system. I will post results if her coat improves...... Rubbed a bit of coconut oil on her dry spots last night after her bath.
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad you're seeing at least a small improvement. Sending along that things just get better and better. She's such a cutie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 6th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Senior Contributor

The raw food really should not have any effect on the poop in it slipping out. My last dog would eliminate in her sleep when she had arthritis in her spine. It was blocking the signals to her brain and it just came out of it's own accord. I don't think the issue was food related necessarily. I feed raw to all three of my dogs and I use salmon oil on their food daily. No slippage!
Old March 6th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Wondering how Marty is doing? She sure is a cutie patootie . Good for you for switching to raw and for sticking with it. Most vets will disagree with feeding raw but most dogs will do very well on it. Is it possible the small bits of poo were just "clingons" that fell off on her bed? The poo is drier and smaller and takes a bit more effort to evacuate so perhaps she didn't quite finish before coming back in the house (so damn cold out I don't blame her)?
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes I think they are little ones that get stuck and come out later. You should see her reaction when they come out! It happens less frequent now. Although she seems to have more fur coming in her itchiness is worse. I wonder if it's true it gets worse before it gets better. Going to try and stick to this one for a bit longer. She is a puppymill dog and I tell ya, I wish there was a penalty for breeding like this.
Old March 6th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Lynne and just because you mentioned cutie, here is a cute pic to share!
Attached Images

Old March 6th, 2014, 02:39 PM

Awe........ She is adorable Just love those ears! Too cute!