Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:11 PM

Food for bladder stone small old dog

I have a pom age 11.5, he had a bladder stone surgery recently because the stone blocked his urinary tract. He was eating Royal Canin urinary SO before since he has stones. The doctor has recommended Royal Canin mature now since he is getting old. My dog likes meat, so I bought the mature wet food to feed him a little twice everyday and the rest on dry food. The doctor said he MUST be on the Royal Canin mature or the stones will come back. The doctor also say no other foods. I have doubts, I honestly believe that boiled fresh meat should be better than factory produced food. I also don't know what kind of dental product is good for my dog, is dental stix ok? The doc. recommends a product made from rawhide and it is ridiculously expensive and I heard rawhide is bad for dogs too. I also looked at this site www.dogfoodanalysis.com for Royal Canin mature and the site basically say it is trash.

It is long.
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Fuzz Lover

Aren't bladder stones caused by lack of water in a diet? Does your dog drink very much water? Switching to a wet diet may help prevent future stones. I use dogfoodadvisor.com (similar to the site you suggested) to always check the food I give my dogs. Rawhides can be hard for some dogs to digest too so you may want to look into a more natural chew like bully sticks.
Old January 24th, 2014, 10:20 PM

He drinks lots of water now. He is a small dog, bully stick is high on calories?
Old January 25th, 2014, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim722 View Post
I have a pom age 11.5, he had a bladder stone surgery recently because the stone blocked his urinary tract. He was eating Royal Canin urinary SO before since he has stones. The doctor has recommended Royal Canin mature now since he is getting old. My dog likes meat, so I bought the mature wet food to feed him a little twice everyday and the rest on dry food. The doctor said he MUST be on the Royal Canin mature or the stones will come back. The doctor also say no other foods. I have doubts, I honestly believe that boiled fresh meat should be better than factory produced food. I also don't know what kind of dental product is good for my dog, is dental stix ok? The doc. recommends a product made from rawhide and it is ridiculously expensive and I heard rawhide is bad for dogs too. I also looked at this site www.dogfoodanalysis.com for Royal Canin mature and the site basically say it is trash.

It is long.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...anin-mini-dry/

I found a link for Royal Canin dog food and it has yeast in it. My small dog got crystals in his urine and I have to made sure his food has no yeast in it so he will get crystals again. So I am wondering why your vet is pushing that brand on you. You should check the food list and see what is in and there any

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...anin-mini-dry/

I found a link for Royal Canin dog food and it has yeast in it. My small dog got crystals in his urine and I have to made sure his food has no yeast in it so he will get crystals again. So I am wondering why your vet is pushing that brand on you. You should check the dog food ingredient and see if there is any that cause stones or crystals. For what it worth I my dog hate Royal Canin and my last dog would not eat it.

Last edited by Barkingdog; January 26th, 2014 at 03:29 PM.
Old January 26th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Tim722, my shetland sheepdog, Toby, had bladder stones when he was 5 years old. My vet had to operate to remove one jagged stone imbedded in the bottom of his bladder and one blocking his urinary tract. At the time I Googled and discovered that 50% of dogs will get bladder stones again within 3 years if they aren't kept on special diets. Now, my vet suggested Hills Science Diet UD, and I use only the dry food. I boil chicken for all my dogs so Toby's dry food gets soaked in the chicken broth to soften it, and supply him with extra liquid in his diet, plus he gets chicken meat with his meal, and the good news is that he is now 12 years old and no sign of anymore bladder stones. People say Hills Science Diet is no good ( - maybe they don't like the price ? - ) but I find it works very well. ALL MY DOGS want to steal Toby's food, so it must taste good too. A bag of that food would last your little Pom a good time, Toby only gets a handful daily and he's a bigger dog.
Old January 26th, 2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks for replying. 1 more thing I forgot to mention, my dog throws up every 2 days after the bladder surgery/change of diet for the past 5 weeks. I went to the vet and he gave me the can food that controls him from throwing up but it doesn't stop. Royal Canin is expensive too
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, if you feel like trying him on Hills Science Diet UD I'd suggest you only get the smallest bag of it. My dog has never vomited after eating it. You'd want the small bag anyway so it doesn't get stale before he finishes each bag. I wish you good luck with your dog, you'll need to do something for him so he doesn't have to undergo surgery again later on.
Old January 26th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I been putting Marty dried dog food in zip lock bags and in the freezer to keep it fresh. I buy him the small bag but he take forever to finish it. I go to a natural dog food store and one of owners suggested I keep the food in the freeze, it really does keep it from going bad. And will keep the food from getting those nasty food moths.
Old January 26th, 2014, 11:08 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, He did not throw up today (second day), hope he doesn't throw up tomorrow.
Old January 27th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you could try feeding your dog smaller meals and see if that help with the vomiting.
Old January 27th, 2014, 07:29 PM

Have you tried fasting for 24hrs to allow his digestive system to heal?
Then feed bland (chicken, rice, etc.) gradually. Once his system settles you can increase volume and variety. Hope he's feeling better soon
Old January 28th, 2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Maybe you could try feeding your dog smaller meals and see if that help with the vomiting.
My dog doesn't like to eat dry food, he only eats when he is hungry. The food is always available and he eats them whenever he feels like it. I think he has been eating small meals.