Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Multi-vitamin & mineral supplements

After Kiska and vlad's tummy issues this week, I am yet again at square one.

I took back the Merrick and bought just Innova. I'm going to also begin making them home-made food a few times a week. I don't feel comfortable buying them raw yet. The pre-packaged raw is too expensive to buy for 5 cats.

So making them a home-cooked meal I feel more comfortable with. But, I know that regular food doesn't have the vitamins and minerals they need to thrive. I found two supplement type products that look like they may be what I need.

Wysong Call of the Wild. It says it is for people who feed their pets raw and home cooked food. It seems like this is what I need to make sure they get what they need.

I also found something that looks like the same thing called NaturVet vita cat powder.

Has anyone used any products similar to these before?

I want to get away from just processed foods. More and more I do not trust the pet food industry. At least if I make them food, I know what I'm putting in it. Organic meats and nothing with preservatives. For now, I just need the vitamins and minerals I don't think they will get enough of by me just making their stuff.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 14th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Another option is Feline Future's Instincts TC powder. It's meant to be mixed with raw meat though, but it does make feeding home made food a little easier. I haven't used it (or any of the ones you mentioned) but I've heard that lots of cats like it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

So it has the vitamins and minerals they need and you just put it on the food? That's what Call of the wild is supposed to be used for too.

This is all so confusing.

Okay I see. I like this. You mix it with the raw. The problem is I'm still not totally comfortable with raw, and all the cats aren't into it either. I'll keep reading to see if you can also mix it with cooked meat.

Thanks!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:46 PM

I don't know if this applies to cats as well but when I started adding fresh foods to my dog's kibble, I thought I had to balance all the food that I added but apparently if you feed at least half kibble you don't need to worry too much (and again, I read this for dogs on dogaware.com so don't know if it would apply to cats) it says the following:

"It is a great idea to add some fresh foods to a commercial diet, to improve the quality of nutrition that your dog receives. As long as you feed at least half kibble, you don't need to worry too much about balancing the foods you add, though as always I think variety is best. The more fresh food you feed, the more important it is to provide a variety of foods in appropriate proportions in order to maintain a balanced diet (see Balancing a Homemade Diet below for more information)."
Old February 14th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

It's similar to what I want to do. But I actually want to give them home made a few times a week. I need supplements for the added vitamins and minerals. I'd eventually like to get away from all store bought foods.

Old February 14th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
I don't know if this applies to cats as well

Not entirely. Dogs are much more flexible in their nutritional requirements than cats are. Since cats in nature would typically be eating small prey like rodents or birds, each meal is pretty much balanced and complete. The concept of "balance over time" that is often applied when feeding dogs a home made diet doesn't transfer as well to cats. According to the National Research Council, no more than 10-15% of a cat's diet should be unbalanced.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler