Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 23rd, 2015, 08:14 AM

Splenectomy Recovery

Truman, our 10-year-old mixed breed dog, had a splenectomy on Thursday evening. We picked him up yesterday (Sunday) afternoon. The surgery went well, and we are waiting on biopsy results.
We brought him home with an e-collar, but replaced it with a doughnut. The e-collar was too big, and he kept trying to slip out of it and getting stuck. He's in a crate now- for the first time. He's whining constantly, and not eating or drinking. Although I have been able to get him to take his meds.
Is this behavior to be expected with surgery? Could it be he's scared of the crate? When does normal become not-normal? I would really love to hear some personal experiences!
Any advice or words of wisdom would be helpful.
Thanks.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:07 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I've not gone through this - but all these changes (e collar - crate - surgery - balloon) seem like they are affecting dooger's behaviour....and it seems normal to me given what dooger has gone through.

Even meds might be playing w/appetite. I'd say drinking is most important...and I'd guess that behaviours would return to normal w/in a few days from now? (perhaps when the balloon and/or crate are no longer needed).

Hope others have some input.

wishing you good vibes on the biopsy
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

You should try taking his donut off so he can eat and drink while he talking meds . Does he need to take his meds with food , most dog meds tell you give it with food. I made my own 'pill pocket' by cutting a small piece of a hotdog then slicing a 'X' in it then hide the pill in it. You can buy pill pockets at pet stores but they cost so much $$ to me. Your dog need to drink water after surgery b/c he had to been on a fast before it.
You could try adding some beef broth to his water but only the low sodium or salt free kind. Poor puppy , I hope he'll feel better soon and if doesn't drink any water you'll need to let your vet know he might need give your dog an IV to get some water into him.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 11:21 AM

We're taking off the doughnut when we can keep a close eye on him. He hasn't tried to lick his tummy yet, but I'm sure he will. He really does need to eat with his medication, and that's a concern. He won't drink water out of a bowl, but he'll lick my fingers if they're wet. I don't think he's dehydrated. His gums and nose aren't dry, and he peed a gallon this morning! Could he be bloated? Is that a thing? (I mean, not to be graphic, but there are certain times of the month when I put on some water weight, and the thought of food or drink makes me queasy!)
It is so hard sometimes to know you're doing the right thing with these guys. I just really want my baby boy back.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staciewells1 View Post
We're taking off the doughnut when we can keep a close eye on him. He hasn't tried to lick his tummy yet, but I'm sure he will. He really does need to eat with his medication, and that's a concern. He won't drink water out of a bowl, but he'll lick my fingers if they're wet. I don't think he's dehydrated. His gums and nose aren't dry, and he peed a gallon this morning! Could he be bloated? Is that a thing? (I mean, not to be graphic, but there are certain times of the month when I put on some water weight, and the thought of food or drink makes me queasy!)
It is so hard sometimes to know you're doing the right thing with these guys. I just really want my baby boy back.
Maybe you could tried feeding him some baby food and adding water to it. Only use meat baby food , your dog may like it mine didn't . I can't say if he is bloated, did you find out what the side effects of the meds are it could made him lose his appetite . think you should call your vet , there should one on call and see if they can suggest how to get your dog to eat and drink . Poor puppy!
Old August 23rd, 2015, 05:34 PM

I just wanted to pop in to say that
Truman ate almost a whole bowl
of boiled chicken and rice. He still
won't drink, but will lick condensation
from a glass.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

That is great news ! He might had been too out of it to eat , you could try giving him some broth from the chicken if there is any left .
Old August 24th, 2015, 01:22 PM

I just spoke with his regular vet. (He had the surgery done at an emergency clinic.) She said everything sounded normal. The pain meds are curbing his appetite, and he has been given a lot of fluids. As long as he's peeing, he's okay.

Thanks, guys, for being here for nervous doggie mamas like me!!